Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crappy eircom webmail.....!

Options
  • 20-05-2010 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

so i was wondering if anybody knew what the deal was with eircom's webmail...?

the family computer has had an eircom account since it was set up years ago, my mother has recently got a new laptop though and i'm trying to figure out how to download the emails from the web account to her new computer...

while waiting for the new computer she was checking her email by logging in through the eircom website. The problem is now that any email she opened on there isn't being downloaded by windows live mail (or outlook express).

I know I should be able to download everything using IMAP but our email a/c doens't appear to be the "advanced" eircom version so there is no option to enable imap. I wonder is this because we no longer have eircom as our mail phone provider therefore our email account didn't get migrated over to the advanced version?

Anyone got any ideas how to solve this one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

In web mail once you open the mail it is no longer 'New' and won't download using an email client.

Using web mail forward them to your email address and when you get them forward them to your mother. When she next downloads her emails she will get the ones forwarded from you as they will be 'New' emails.

There should be away to mark them as not read but I've never found it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

you do know eircom changed their settings a while back?

Outgoing SMTP: mail1.eircom.net
    Incoming SMTP: webmail.eircom.net

Eircom email is the most rubbish service out there. There is no support and its flakey as hell. Id get your mom onto a better mail service. I use fastmail and ive never once had spam in 8 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

mconigol: theres mail info on support.eircom.net. Theres a forum over there too for asking questions.

FSL is right - once downloaded the mail can't be re-downloaded. To get past that I use mail2web.com. It leaves the mail there so I can download it in Outlook later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Thanks for the responses guys....
    FSL wrote: »
    Using web mail forward them to your email address and when you get them forward them to your mother. When she next downloads her emails she will get the ones forwarded from you as they will be 'New' emails.

This is probably what I'll end up doing, was hoping that I could save the "from" info though, there's not that many mails though so I suppose I could change my sender name to the original sender though...i'm just more annoyed than anything that it should be such a big deal!

FusionNet, yeah I knew that the settings changed a while back, I thought this was to coincide with the change over to the "advanced" accounts though...still don't understand why I only get logged into the old version when I log in through the website...? From what I can make out by using the advanced version I should be able to use imap and then download everything the same as i do with my gmail account

java, cheers for that, tried it already but i can't register to ask questions since we're no longer eircom customers! Anyway i realised a long time ago how terrible eircom is...shall be moving her to gmail me thinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

mconigol wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses guys....

This is probably what I'll end up doing, was hoping that I could save the "from" info though, there's not that many mails though so I suppose I could change my sender name to the original sender though...i'm just more annoyed than anything that it should be such a big deal!

FusionNet, yeah I knew that the settings changed a while back, I thought this was to coincide with the change over to the "advanced" accounts though...still don't understand why I only get logged into the old version when I log in through the website...? From what I can make out by using the advanced version I should be able to use imap and then download everything the same as i do with my gmail account

java, cheers for that, tried it already but i can't register to ask questions since we're no longer eircom customers! Anyway i realised a long time ago how terrible eircom is...shall be moving her to gmail me thinks :)
    i pay 24.79 per month for eircom broadband which is 3mb and download allowance of 30gb per month. is there any other out there that can beat that, on top of that there is line rental of 20 euroand 96 cent per month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

goat2 wrote: »
    i pay 24.79 per month for eircom broadband which is 3mb and download allowance of 30gb per month. is there any other out there that can beat that, on top of that there is line rental of 20 euroand 96 cent per month

we're out in the countryside so we haven't had access to fixed line broadband until recently, been using mobile broadband for the last 3 years....before that..dial up:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Becca_19

FusionNet wrote: »
    you do know eircom changed their settings a while back?

Outgoing SMTP: mail1.eircom.net
    Incoming SMTP: webmail.eircom.net

Eircom email is the most rubbish service out there. There is no support and its flakey as hell. Id get your mom onto a better mail service. I use fastmail and ive never once had spam in 8 years..
    FusionNet, did not know eircom had changed this setting. My mail application kept rejecting the password when receiving emails. Changed to webmail.eircom.net now all sorted cheers!

Advertisement