Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Guitar Strap, Tone, And You

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

tru dat

my nylon straps are the secret to my tone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

Some of the responses are quite funny.

Having said that, I'll bet a bunch of those guys went home to audition their different straps just to see. They'd do anything for tone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pavlov
    I have something new. It's not a "real" strap but a strap modeler. It's called the Axe-A-Strap. It can morph between 67 different styles of straps, from leather, to studded, to the happy rainbow designed ones.

Best of all this Axe-A-Strap can be your's for the low price of $899. When you consider all the straps that you have owned, or will own, this is a bargaign since it's the only strap you will ever need.

Of course you will need to get power-strap buttons for it to work. Don't get solid brass ones since they digitize everything. You want the smooth warm tone of chrome.

Since getting the Axe-A-Strap it's like having ALL my favorite straps that i have owned in my life, and like all the ones i sold off. And now, I can sell off all the one's i currently own since the Axe-A-Strap is better than them all.

I'm soo blown away by the strap and it's the best piece of musical gear to come along since. FOREVER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

If the strap isn't true bypass.......i don't use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I only bought a Fender Precision for the free strap..

Also I think the hardcase eminates stuff that makes a guitar resonate better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Ha!

I just use a bit of bailin' twine, for that 'rootsy', 'farmer' tone. You can actually smell the silage when I'm rippin' me blisterin' chickin' pickin' licks

My fav has got to be Zakk Wylde................a feckin' chain.:rolleyes:

M_ProductImage_2238.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

cool guitar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I think -=al=- already owns three of those - all with different colour chains...

Rusty chains as guitar straps are badass motherfeckers.

• Advertisement

Rusty chains as guitar straps are badass motherfeckers.

That's nothing.
    I'm so tough I just rely on my fretting hand strength alone to hold my guitar up, I don't need a strap. Beat that!!

I just balance my 8 pounds of wood on my -- er, better not...

I just balance my 8 pounds of wood on my -- er, better not...

Knees..........

Try balancing a Flying V in that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Paolo_M wrote: »
    That's nothing.
    I'm so tough I just rely on my fretting hand strength alone to hold my guitar up, I don't need a strap. Beat that!!

Steve Vai benches 236lbs everyday.

Straps are for the wimmin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

A nylon strap seems to give off less of a "breathability" to the guitar, whereas a very natural leather strap seems to let the guitar "sing" a little more.

My favourite sentance evar! This is up there with the one about the tonal properties of inlays. Some people should pay heed to the immortal words of Frank Zappa: "Shut up and play your guitar" :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

eoin5 wrote: »
    My favourite sentance evar! This is up there with the one about the tonal properties of inlays. Some people should pay heed to the immortal words of Frank Zappa: "Shut up and play your guitar" :D.

To be fair Zappa did have a con of cool custom stuff.

I think concerning over the sound you make is perfectly valid. It's this nonsensical cork sniffing that drives me nuts.

Sandvich wrote: »
    To be fair Zappa did have a con of cool custom stuff.

I think concerning over the sound you make is perfectly valid. It's this nonsensical cork sniffing that drives me nuts.

Cork sniffin' a bit always helps your own sound......but, some go overboard.

Cork sniffin' a bit always helps your own sound......but, some go overboard.

You want to talk about cork sniffing? I spent some time on a Lost thread over in TV today, and they put the Gear Page to shame!

I'm unsure people know what corksniffing actually means :|

I'm unsure people know what corksniffing actually means :|

In these contexts, I'd describe it as shorthand for a self-important, assumed expertise on matters of tone.

It's derived from the practice of poseurs who buy an expensive bottle of wine in an even more expensive restaurant and insist that they get to smell the cork so they can publicly demonstrate in front of their companions that the wine is acceptable. Even if it's corked.

Examples in context?:

"I know your amp sounds sh!t because I read a guy describing a Dumble once, and no way is a Laney 'buttery' sounding".

Or: "I'm Lost's biggest fan and I can quote what Michael said to Walt in series 2 about the symbolism in the comics Walt found, therefore I'm better qualified than you to say what the last episode meant".

• Advertisement

The point of corksniffing is that it's meant to be chasing after something that's realistically improbable to be picked up. Cork sniffers often chase boutique toanz and claim to be able to tell apart stuff like axe-fx in a blind test even when it's obvious they can't. "Plastic Creaminess".

You can't really tell anything notable about the wine from sniffing the cork. Anything you could pick up would be too minute to make a judgement on. It's often the same with toanz.

You can't really tell anything notable about the wine from sniffing the cork. Anything you could pick up would be too minute to make a judgement on. It's often the same with toanz.

Well, you can tell if the wine has gone bad. Saves you having to taste it. But most cork-sniffers sniff corks because doing so makes it look like they know good wine from bad and hope to impress their mates...

But I love "plastic creaminess"!

The point of corksniffing is that it's meant to be chasing after something that's realistically improbable to be picked up. Cork sniffers often chase boutique toanz and claim to be able to tell apart stuff like axe-fx in a blind test even when it's obvious they can't. "Plastic Creaminess".

I know a resteraunt owner who was an alco but is now tea-total.
    He selects all the wines for the resteraunt personally by smelling them only.
    The resteraunt is in west cork and is famous partially for the wines it serves.
    The guy's amazing, he has a sniff and knows exacty what they will taste like and how they will sit with the various meals they have on.
    Dunno if he actually sniffs the cork though, must ask him.

Paolo_M wrote: »
    I know a resteraunt owner who was an alco but is now tea-total.
    He selects all the wines for the resteraunt personally by smelling them only.
    The resteraunt is in west cork and is famous partially for the wines it serves.
    The guy's amazing, he has a sniff and knows exacty what they will taste like and how they will sit with the various meals they have on.
    Dunno if he actually sniffs the cork though, must ask him.

Wonder if he plays guitar..................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Ziggy sniffed the cork!!

Advertisement