Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help, hair soo broken

• 20-05-2010 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi everyone, Can someone please advise me on some top notch hairdresser or some treatment that will repair my desperately broken hair. Its broken badly all along the top (:() and the mad thing is I straighten it about once or twice a month, using hair protecter and one sweep of ghd. I practically live in hair masks and my day to dat hair style consists of messy (not in a trendy way) scrunched hair or a waxed down bun ( not cool).

Anyway because its bothering me so much Im seriously considering shaving it all off and getting a wig. Can anyone help me before I make this drastic decision?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HipLady

i think if you ask in any hairdresser they will help you with the problem but id say a healthy diet would b beneficial and also taking pulse fish oil capsules r a multivitamin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Firstly and before you get shaving:

What colour is your hair?

Is it fine or thick?

Do you work in the heat or cold?

Ill explain why after :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Maybe you're cleaning/conditioning it too much, stripping out the natural oils in it? Try out the Aussie 3-minute miracle conditioner (I think the name of the one I use is Miracle Moisture). I swear by it (I bleach my hair a few times a year, and generally treat it like crap), but it is something that you need to keep using in order for your hair to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Believe me sweetheart I know how upsetting it is to have broken hair.
    I was in the same boat and even put up a few threads here about it.

Put the razor down, help is at hand!! The thing I learned is that you won't see results over night (how annoying!) but you will get there in the end.

1) Redken Anti-Snap. It's about 25 quid a bottle but worth every penny. You wash your hair as normal and put this on damp hair afterwards. leave it in. It smells lovely and while it may not repair teh breakage, it will stop it breaking any further.

2) Aussie Miracle Mositure (someone else already mentioned this).

3) Coconut Oil. Buy coconut oil in a health food store. it's about 2 euro only. Rub this all over your hair and let it soak in. Leave it overnight if possible and the next day wash your hair as normal. This will leave your hair lovely and soft.

4) L'Oreal professional hair mask. It's about 20 euro from a salon and it's in a yellow tub. It smells amazing and feels like butter. It will leave your hair silky soft.

5) Alphapaf Cristalli Hair Serum. Ok so this won't mend your hair but it will make it shine like ice and appear to be healthy. Just put 1 or 2 pumps into damp hair and stlye as usual. You can also run a tiny bit through dry hair. It give yours hair a lovely sheen.

6) Try not to wash your hair too often or you'll wash away the natural oils.

7) Redken CAT Treatment. This is a protein treatment which repairs damaged hair. Again it's about 20 quid but it is worth it.

Good luck OP. It will take a few weeks but you'll get there.

Oh, I almost forget...the best treatment I have ever used is Redken Deep Fuel. This stuff is amazing. I bleached my hair and it was in tatters. Thsi stuff transformed it for me. You get 5 tubes and use them once a week. Amazing stuff. Get this above all else. It saved my hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

Thankk you so much everyone for replying with advice for me. You have no idea how upset I get over this.
    Btw, im blonde (highlihgts, lowlights), It is very thick and kind of wavy ish naturally and I work indoors.. Also I use some of the Aussie products but my problem with all these things is that they're not going to magically make all the broken hair on the top of my head grow to be the same lenght as the rest of my head are they?!

i'll try the things you mentioned too Beetlebum and am going to boots or a health shop later to get some capsules or vitamins.. Im vegetarian but eat lots of fruit and veg ( not much else though to be honest). Does anyone know what foods are good for hair?

Was at hairdressers yesterday and she aven admitted its quite bad (managed to hold back tears) and basically said apart from trying some capsules theres nothing else to do.. It looked especially awful in her mirror :( anyway once again thanks for the advice, I know it appears quite trivial but Its ruining my life at the mo.. That and my continuous breaking out but we'll leave that for another day! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Someone has obviously left bleach on too long in your hair if its broken at the top!

Any chance you could go darker for a bit??? That way your using less bleach on the hair - even going darker with high-lights.

Coconut oil is amazing for your hair as it is for your nails and cuticles.

What shampoo are you using at the moment??

Its not trivial at all, I see people every day talking about dry/damaged hair. I myself am one of them and the water where you live can be a big factor too. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

OP, you don't need to shave your hair off to wear a wig/hairpiece! I would recommend going to see http://www.ourlittlesecret.ie/ she's based in Wicklow town.

Are you sure the hair is broken off? Is it not just new growth of hair? At certain times of the year I get lots of annoying little hairs on my crown which means I have to change my parting and use lots of hairspray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

It is far from trivial so don't for a second think you're being silly.

When my hair was in bits I was absolutely devastated. Everytime I saw a girl with long flowing locks I'd feel liek crying. Your hair is your crowning glory and if it doesn't look good, you feel like sh*t.

A few years ago I did a DIY bleach job on my hair. When I rinsed if off my hair was bright white. I looked like an albino. To make matters worse my mom made me go to school and chunks of my hair were falling out. It felt like straw and I had to get it all cut off. It was half way down my back and I got it cut up to my ears.

I never thought it would recover from that but it did.

I think diet is hugely important. Take a look at the nutrition forum, they are such a knowledgable bunch about this kind of thing. Put a thread up about having damaged hair and they'll advise you. At a guess I'd say you need lots of protein as hair is made up of mostly protein and oily fish maybe.

Also, check out a hairdressers called Foundation. They are on Stephens Street in Dublin 2 near Hogans pub. They used to do a conditioning treatment for about 100 euro that claimed to replenish even teh most damaged hair.

Defo worth every penny if they still do that treatment.

There are ways to fix this sweetheart it will just take time (by that I mean months....it took me a full year of treatments to fix mine but it's lovely now).

Chin up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

OP, I think it's really important to find a good hairdresser and stick to them.
    They get to know your hair type and will be able to cut and colour accordingly.
    A friend of mine is constantly changing hairdressers and she is never happy with her hair!

It's hard not to stress about these things...but try not to as I know from experience it will only make things worse.

Make sure you get a vitamin B supplement too and Vitamin E might help too as it increases blood circulation.
    Good luck x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

kerastase vita ciment is worth a go too but pricey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Beetlebum beat me to it with the Redken recommendations; all the products she mentioned are brilliant. They do a velvet soft leave in treatment which is very good also. I destroyed my hair with bleach before and I swore by the Redken products. I also used Bumble and Bumble deep conditioner, the Label M protein spray, and gave the Aussie 3 minute miracle a whirl on occasion.

They all helped greatly; as did taking a silica supplement. Believe me I know how disheartening it is; but you'll get there with it. My hair is all better now and very healthy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭LeahK

Oh no :(

My hair did that a few years too and it is so upsetting, you dont notice it until its pointed out!My hair had also turned green from chlorine so it could be worse :o the hairdresser I had at the time gave me loads of layers, making the shortest ones just a little longer than the broken bits. Eventually your hair will grow (i know it seems forever away) and you can grow out the layers if you want. It actually didnt look so bad and I could keep the length. Do not shave it off! :)

I also have highlighted hair and it really needs to be maintained. The Redken Antisnap is great plus Im using a Keratase milk that protects your hair from your hairdryer. Try using a paddle brush when your brushing it when wet. Your hair is less likely to break,also start from the bottom and work your way up. Be gentle!

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Am a wee bit confused - what exactly happened your hair?
    Is it broken from over styling (i.e. straightening constantly etc)?
    Or broken from bleaching it?
    Or poor diet?
    Or combination of all?

The only thing I can say, is that carrots are excellent for hair (and nails).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

the kerastase brand do a really good range for dry and damaged hair, my friends hair was the same and it really sorted hers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

Hi again, I never thought about it being the bleach. Iv recently stuck with the same hairdresser and they all leave the solution on the hair the same amount of time. Also, I was never one for the over use of straighteners etc so it cant be solely that reason although Im sure it helps keep the hair broken when I do use it :o

im too pale to go dark but I did get lots of lowlights in the hope of more fulfilled follicles! Didnt work.. So think I might try that wig place for the days that I dont want to leave the house, or until I purchase and try EVERYTHING you all mentioned, and feeling hopeful about them! :) Will also look into the Stephens green place. And have got some hair/skin vitamins. Btw, I really just became aware of it being so broken about 2 years or so ago and guess I thought it would eventually grow out.

I dont know what took me so long to attempt action on my locks but Im trying from now and will try not to just sit around feeling sorry for myself and hoping it will go away. Thanks so much everyone. Ill let you know how I get on. hopefully in a few months Il have a normal head of hair! Fingers crossed! Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

My hair was a little bit like that and when I went on a health kick and started eating a tub of low fat cottage cheese every day it improved no end. SO for me it was lack of protein.

You could always try a really nice short cut for a while if you have the face for it. If you always have to tie your hair up anyway, it might suit you better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

leave a treatment in over night a good affordable one is elvive royal jelly its around six euro a tub, loreal do one in the salon called masqintense which is excellent but pricey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi everyone, Can someone please advise me on some top notch hairdresser or some treatment that will repair my desperately broken hair. Its broken badly all along the top (:() and the mad thing is I straighten it about once or twice a month, using hair protecter and one sweep of ghd. I practically live in hair masks and my day to dat hair style consists of messy (not in a trendy way) scrunched hair or a waxed down bun ( not cool).

Anyway because its bothering me so much Im seriously considering shaving it all off and getting a wig. Can anyone help me before I make this drastic decision?!
    http://www.lookfantastic.com/hair/av...oo-1000ml.html

try the above, i have highlighted hair, and have been highlighting for around 10 years.... i bought the above with conditioner... its 1000ml so will last months and my hair has never been better!!! I used to use Kerastase for ages and although i liked it, i wanted a change my hair colourist recomended the above and i have to say its brillant... really soft silky hair

Best of luck biggrin.gif

progress.gif

Advertisement