Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you make crispy potatoes?

Options
  • 20-05-2010 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

huge potato fan here. mine always turn out soggy, no matter if i fry or bake 'em. how do you make yours delightfully crispy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Parboil them and then coat in duck fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

glaze them with oil and roast in oven - always turns out nice and crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

A trick I've used a couple of time is perheat the the tray and oil. So that you are putting the potatoes into hot oil.

Also a tip I have heard but never used is to dip the potatoes in semolina just before roasting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Whatever you do, make sure they're dry before frying/roasting. They won't crisp up if there's moisture present. Also, I think this was something Nigella Lawson said, is to cut the potatoes so as to make lots of edges, which will crisp up beautifully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

peel the spud, cut in half half and then cut each half in half.

par boil for 5-6 minutes, drain water and then toss them about in the pot for a few seconds to rough out the sides, making them kinda fuzzy.

frying pan, hot, rapeseed oil/ veg oil and duck/goosefat (the rape-veg oil raises the flashpoint of the fat and stops it from burning), colour each side of the par boiled spuds ( about 20/30 seconds each side).

Into a preheated oven on a preheated roasting dish with some goose/duckfat in the bottom and sprinkle with slat. cook at 180 for about half an hour - 45 minutes.

Works every single time.

I'd parboil the spuds for a little longer myself but its kinda touch and go becaus if you cparboil them for too long they will break apart when you toss them about. the fluffier/fuzzier you can make the outside the crisper they will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

My tuppence worth... par boil the potato, drain water and put back into the saucepan and back on a low heat to dry (don't let them burn) - maybe 1 minute or less - then add whatever fat you are using (I'd second duckfat, or goose fat, these make the best, crustiest roasties) and salt. Shake the saucepan to coat, this also roughs up the edges to give you more crust. Put into preheated oven until crisp and golden brown, and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

If you want to cheat,buy a bag off ALDI frozen goose fat roast potato's,they are realy nice.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Make sure you are using good spuds like Golden wonders, they crisp up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Seaneh wrote: »
    toss them about in the pot for a few seconds to rough out the sides, making them kinda fuzzy.

<snip>

the fluffier/fuzzier you can make the outside the crisper they will be.

There's the key to a good roast spud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

As CJ said, choose your potato carefully - a lower moisture content is what you're after. Cara, Desiree, King Edward and Maris Piper are what's commonly available in the shops as good roasties. I'm a fan of duck or goose fat for roasties and as said before, par boil and fluff the spuds first. For a really crisp finish, pre cook the spuds, drain and cool on a tray lined with a clean teatowel. Then keep them in the fridge overnight - that helps dry them even more. Then cook in a pre heated roasting dish with the fat. A scatter of fine salt will also help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

For baked spuds I do the following.

Wash and dry rooster spuds very well, pre-heat oven.
    Cut a cross shape on one side of the spuds.
    Put some sunflower oil (a good bit) sea salt and black pepper into a bowl then coat the spuds all over.
    Place them cross side down onto a rack with a tray underneath to catch the drips.
    Bake them for 1/2 and hour then take them out of the oven and turn them all and make sure the cross side is up facing you this time.
    Bake for a further 1/2 hour and then they're ready.

Make sure the spuds are nice and fresh makes all the difference to the skin.
    Use medium or large spuds. If you want them extra crispy just leave them in for 5 or 10 mins longer.

The oil kind of cook/frys the skin and the salt draws the liquid out. So makes it nice n crispy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Minder wrote: »
    keep them in the fridge overnight - that helps dry them even more.

This is a really good method but a lot of people see it as a lot of effort. I do it when I'm cooking sunday lunch for my family. takes a few minutes the day before and makes the world of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

roosters are the best......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 crazy.daisy

100% perfect roast potatoes every time calls for semolina. You can buy it in Dunnes for less than 2 Euros, and it never fails. Par boil the spuds, drain and pop back in the pot. Leave for a moment to dry out a little, then add two tablespoons of semolina. Put a lid on the pot and give the spuds a shake in the pot. This roughens up the edges to absorb the oil when you roast them, and the semolina gives the greatest crunch. Tip the potatoes into a raosting tray with olive oil (I have a vegetarian brother but duck/goose fat works great too). Roast until crisp, turning as each side gets crunchy brown. It helps to cut the spuds with sharp angles too, for maximum crunch. Try them, you'll never be semolinaless again!

Shamelessly, I have a blog, please visit for more of the same...

http://sallyinthegalley.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There is lots of food advice above re par boiling them, shaking them up and using duck/goose fat.

Where people often go wrong is that they

1. Don't have the oven hot enough (200c min for crispy spuds)
    2. They overcrowd the roasting pan
    3. They don't cook for long enough (I maintain that it takes an hour for really good roasties)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I use The Delia's receipe. Again, it is all about the parboiling. Don't skip the parboiling :)

After you drain the spuds (*flashback to Killinascully*), put the lid on the pot and shake vigourously. This gives you lots of rough edges on the spuds which will roast and crisp up beautifully in the oven.

Pop into the preheated oven, toss some olive oil over them. Add some herbs, salt or garlic if you want. Leave to roast for 40 mins approx.

I could easily eat these on their own. Nyom.

Advertisement