Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Customs seize car after six-hour stand-off

• 20-05-2010 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

Anybody know what type of car it was? 6 hour standoff and 16 customs officers and 8 guards!!!

CUSTOMS officers descended in large numbers to seize a car from the home of a woman after a six-hour stand-off the previous day.

The car was registered to Northern Ireland despite the mother of two having an address in the Republic.

Margaret Davern had locked herself in her car in a car park in Buncrana, Co Donegal, for almost six hours on Tuesday to prevent her car from being seized.

But yesterday, up to 16 customs officers and eight gardai arrived at the woman's Buncrana home and seized the car from the driveway.

Local councillor Padraig MacLochlainn (SF) renewed his call for the abolition of Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) and criticised the "heavy handed actions" of the customs officials.

"VRT is an immensely unpopular and unjust tax but surely there must be a way to collect this tax without engaging in this sort of heavy-handed approach," he said.

The stand off was streamed live on the internet.

Ryan Stuart, a friend of Ms Davern, said: "She was still shaken from the previous day. In the end up she had been issued with a warning so she was not expecting them to come back and take her car. She is absolutely distraught. She is physically shaken by it all."

A Facebook campaign for the abolition of VRT, which was launched in Donegal's Inishowen peninsula a month ago, had almost 10,000 supporters by yesterday.

A spokesman for Revenue and Customs would not comment on the incident.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/customs-seize-car-after-sixhour-standoff-2186634.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭iphone4g

Good pay your ****ing tax, the rest of us have to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

It's a luxury SUV of some description. Here's the poor woman in question:

VRTStandOff.jpg

And another article on the whole sordid affair.

http://www.inishowennews.com/06VRTStandOff0477.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I wonder why she should be exempt?

Would it be safe to assume she has no problem drawing Children's allowance from the Republic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Part of the penalty should be the cost of any man hours spent retreiving the vehicle beyond say 2 man hours in total, which should be more than adequate in most cases.
    If you can't afford the VRT, don't bring the car into the state. If you don't want to pay the VRT, leave the country or don't buy a car on which VRT will be owed. If you think VRT should be abolished, that's just fine, but have a bit of cop on and wait until it is to buy your foreign reg'd car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

Gophur wrote: »
    I wonder why she should be exempt?

Would it be safe to assume she has no problem drawing Children's allowance from the Republic?

poor, poor comment that.

your not a motorist i take it? VRT is an illegal tax set out under the treaty of rome 1972.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I liked the Comment about the British Army, very apt in relation to an argument over VRT. :rolleyes:

How very 21st Century. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

poor, poor comment that.

your not a motorist i take it? VRT is an illegal tax set out under the treaty of rome 1972.:(

Check facts and come back when you understand that VRT is not an Illegal tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

poor, poor comment that.

facepalm.jpgNot this again

.......................... VRT is an illegal tax set out under the treaty of rome 1972.:(

Please care to explain how it is illegal?

We always get some poor fool making this claim, yet have never seen one shred of evidence to back it up.

(Look at her, the pathetic fool, with a face like a slapped ar5e. She knows the Law yet chose to ignore it. Producing a cheque she "intended" to send? Yeah, right!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

iphone4g wrote: »
    Good pay your ****ing tax, the rest of us have to .

perhaps if the government put more resources and effort in to donegal and other border regions rather than Dublin , people in those areas might be more prepared to pay their tax

good job customs , you collected what 5 or 6 k , now perhaps you should call in on seanie and fingers see if you can get 5 or 6 billion off them

• Advertisement

Another article from Belfast's U105 Radio

http://www2.u105.com/news/detail.asp?type=news&article_id=F9F35891-5926-4563-B043-ADBB666AC639

Our very own boarster Ryan Stewart was also there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

JHMEG wrote: »
    Here's the poor woman in question:

poor woman:confused::confused::confused:

She should be prosecuted for wasting police and revenue time as well as having to cough up the VRT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

No it isn't.

The Treaty of Rome was 1957 btw, also, which just proves you're talking out your arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Please care to explain how it is illegal?

We always get some poor fool making this claim, yet have never seen one shred of evidence to back it up.
    This has been done many times - as you say, VRT is not an illegal tax. Let's not go over the same ground again.:)

danbohan wrote: »
    good job customs , you collected what 5 or 6 k , now perhaps you should call in on seanie and fingers see if you can get 5 or 6 billion off them

That's going to be the usual rant from now, eh?

What have Customs got to do with Seanie and Fingers?

You'll have your opportunity to voice your concerns at the next General Election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Berty wrote: »
    I liked the Comment about the British Army, very apt in relation to an argument over VRT. :rolleyes:

How very 21st Century. :rolleyes:

Doesn't like their army but likes to drive their cars...what a clown. Good to see the customs following up

R.O.R wrote: »
    Check facts and come back when you understand that VRT is not an Illegal tax.
    have a read of the treaty of rome,it will help you understand the facts.:)

while your at it,read up on the constitution in relation to personal property. happy reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

You'll have your opportunity to voice your concerns at the next General Election.

what its got to do, is revenue is very quick to grab from the little people , not the elite

testicle wrote: »
    No it isn't.

The Treaty of Rome was 1957 btw, also, which just proves you're talking out your arse.

i resent that comment :mad: the treaty was amended in 1972!!!!!! fact

i resent that comment :mad: the treaty was amended in 1972!!!!!! fact
    Like I said, this has been done to death many times here already. Please, no further discussion on the legality or otherwise of VRT. If you want to discuss that, take it to the legal forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

EDIT: sorry Anan1, had this typed before seeing your post

Looking at the photo anyone guess at what kind of 4x4 it is? I can make out leather seats but I don't know enough about that kind of vehicle to tell the make and model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Looking at the photo anyone guess at what kind of 4x4 it is? I can make out leather seats but I don't know enough about that kind of vehicle to tell the make and model.

Is it a Honda CRV?

She has a cheque made out for Euro1740 but not yet sent it but she couldn't pay the euro420 penalty for non payment of VRT.
    Maybe if the cheque had bounced the customs might forget about her?

danbohan wrote: »
    what its got to do, is revenue is very quick to grab from the little people , not the elite
    Everyone should have to pay their taxes. Or should I not have to pay my road tax because some other people don't pay it?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Like I said, this has been done to death many times here already. Please, no further discussion on the legality or otherwise of VRT. If you want to discuss that, take it to the legal forum.

no problem,i have nothing further to add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Before we go off patting ourselves on the back for paying our VRT, lets just consider what a PR disaster and generally woeful handling of the situation this was.

So how much is enough for you "she should pay VRT because its the law and I did types?"

Regarding whats "Right" and "Wrong", if the Window tax was reintroduced tomorrow and this was a stand off in your garden with the legally entitled Revenue and Garda, would you still be so quick to dismiss anyone that stands against it?

Sadly, you probably would, its far easier to follow laws and wallow in ignorance than stand up for what you believe isnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Proper order! They should go after her for obstruction as well.
    I don't like vrt, don't agree with it and wish I didn't have to pay it but its the law. She, like a few people I used to know from Donegal, was pulling a fast one by driving on NI plates. She, like them, got caught. Deal with it, you were breaking the law and got found out. Pay the vrt and shut up or else move to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Before we go off patting ourselves on the back for paying our VRT, lets just consider what a PR disaster and generally woeful handling of the situation this was.

So how much is enough for you "she should pay VRT because its the law and I did types?"

Regarding whats "Right" and "Wrong", if the Window tax was reintroduced tomorrow and this was a stand off in your garden with the legally entitled Revenue and Garda, would you still be so quick to dismiss anyone that stands against it?

Sadly, you probably would, its far easier to follow laws and wallow in ignorance than stand up for what you believe isnt it?

I think a fairer ananolgy would be that the window tax was already in place and you went and bought a house with 25 windows, and then refused to pay the tax. You could have bought a house with 1 window if you wanted.

We're all free to exercise our vote. I don't agree with a lot of laws in this country, but i'm bound by what my society as a whole wants. If I don't want to pay VRT, my options are to campaign against it, to vote against it, or to emigrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

We're all free to exercise our vote. I don't agree with a lot of laws in this country, but i'm bound by what my society as a whole wants. If I don't want to pay VRT, my options are to campaign against it, to vote against it, or to emigrate.

Er... You also have the option of Resistance..... or have we so quickly forgot how this country was founded, now that we are in the comforts of the now?
    Besides, sitting in your car for 6hrs is campaigning against it, given the coverage, seemingly rather effective too.

How about sticking to what actually happened, what actually is the law and not drift off into some hypothetical tax discussion?

Er... You also have the option of Resistance..... or have we so quickly forgot how this country was founded, now that we are in the comforts of the now?
    Besides, sitting in your car for 6hrs is campaigning against it, given the coverage, seemingly rather effective too.
    I'm all in favour of resistance for issues like our treatment of minorities, our foreign policy, that sort of thing. But not tax policy - that's just stealing from the rest of you.

How about sticking to what actually happened, what actually is the law and not drift off into some hypothetical tax discussion?
    You know what, you're right. I'll stop now too.:)

DonJose wrote: »
    Anybody know what type of car it was? 6 hour standoff and 16 customs officers and 8 guards!!!/

It looks like a Honda CRV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's always the high-value cars that don't have VRT paid too. Saw a yellow plate R8 in Dublin on Wednesday :mad:

None of that makes any sense, especially not the comparison with the Window Tax. If you really enjoy getting worked up and the moral rights and wrongs of VRT I'd suggest taking a look at Denmark's vehicle import tax regime.

Oh come on. First you talk about how the wealthy should resist unfair taxes, and now you're using the country's humble beginnings as a platform for your argument. Be consistent please.

• Advertisement

Anybody know what type of car it was? 6 hour standoff and 16 customs officers and 8 guards!!![Quote/]

It looks like a Honda CRV.

Correction, it was HONDA VRT :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

What do customs have to do with collecting a tax which is clearly not an import duty?:rolleyes::confused:

This woman is no stranger to strange events.

Santa's Sleigh seen over Greencastle?
    The
    Inish Times has reported the sighting of a 'glowing ball of fire' in the sky over Greencastle on Christmas Night. Margaret Davern was travelling with three children when they saw an orange ball of light in the sky above them.
    'I looked up and it seemed to be travelling down towards us. I tried to brake but the roads were really slippy so I pulled in. We jumped out of the car and it started to come down towards us. It was about the height of the buildings and really difficult to explain. It was really big and bright, slightly bigger than a football and there was what seemed to be a glowing light or fire in the middle, like there was something inside it. I took a picture of it and it started going back up again towards the sky, in the direction of Shroove. It got smaller and smaller until it was just a tiny light like a wee star. It was the strangest thing I’ve ever seen.'
    Did you see the unidentified object? If so, contact the
    Inish Times at 0749341055 or email [EMAIL="info@inishtimes.com?subject=Referred from Dun na nGall.com"]The Inish Times[/EMAIL]

http://www.dun-na-ngall.com/nw109.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its always Donegal isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

How many people in our society want to pay VRT?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I saw the incident, it was a Lexus.

mike65 wrote: »
    Its always Donegal isn't it?

Donegal and Kerry should run away and get married.

Vegeta wrote: »
    How many people in our society want to pay VRT?
    No idea. I can't imagine many enjoy paying it, but then again I can't imagine many being happy with the sums if it were abolished. In any case, the people are free to vote in a government that will abolish it if that's what they want.

Abolish VRT and the shortfall will have to be made up from other sources.

You (the Public) decide. There are more than enough used cars in Ireland, at prices that are competitive, to satisfy any demand. Everyone knows there is VRT payable. Those who choose to ignore it must face up to the consequences, if they are caught.

Pulling a sad face and crying your heart out, while locked in your car, is hardly a credible protest.

The carrying of a cheque, the woman had no intention of handing over, is pathetic. Did she think that waving this cheque would get her off paying her due tax?

From Court Report in www.anglocelt.ie
    Failed to pay VRT
    A woman who was given an opportunity to pay VRT on a vehicle she had imported and failed to do so was handed a €5,000 fine mitigated to €2,500 at Ballyconnell District Court.
    Chriselda Burke, Cloghoge, Swanlinbar, was summoned that on January 9 at Main Street, Swanlinbar, she had an unregistered vehicle.
    Rory Hayden, SS, said the vehicle had been imported to the Republic and the defendant failed to pay the VRT. The vehicle which cost €24,000 had been repossessed by the finance company. Mr. Hayden pointed out that the defendant had been given a chance previously to pay €500 on a reduced fine but failed to do so.

The carrying of a cheque, the woman had no intention of handing over, is pathetic. Did she think that waving this cheque would get her off paying her due tax?

According to the inishowen news she couldn't afford to pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Abolish VRT and the shortfall will have to be made up from other sources.

I'd gladly pay an extra 10 cent a litre on fuel of VRT was abolished, we need a system like in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I saw the incident, it was a Lexus.

And from http://www.inishowennews.com/06VRTStandOff0477.htm She said she had a cheque for €1,740 for VRT. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wonder what year the Lexus RX is? (Assumption its an RX)

Looks fairly new so VRT would be many thousands

nipplenuts wrote: »
    According to the inishowen news she couldn't afford to pay it.

Good for her!

So she wanted to evade VRT by carrying a dud cheque?

And, a Lexus? What was she thinking? Was she right in the head? Buy a foreign registered Lexus without the capability to register it in the State?

One really has to wonder at the levels of idiocy around us.

Let's see how she manages to get around, on her bicycle, from now on.

I'd gladly pay an extra 10 cent a litre on fuel of VRT was abolished, we need a system like in the UK.

And Council Tax?

Given the state of the country's finances, you may well end up paying the extra 10c per litre, anyway.

VRT is an elective tax, nobody is forced to pay it, nobody is forced to import a used car, or buy a new car.

We all know the rules.

• Advertisement
Advertisement