Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Customs seize car after six-hour stand-off

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

JHMEG wrote: »
    No, once you come to livework in our country you have to pay our taxes..

Fixed that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

ardmacha wrote: »
    Give customs a ring so.

As far as I can see they have been through the same check points I have been through over the last few months and are happily still driving these cars?

Whatever they are telling them?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

batman1 wrote: »
    VRT is legal, but the seizing of personal assets (like a car, for example) which is worth, say, 20k for an outstanding payment of say, 1k is not allowed under EU law. This applies to any possessions, not just the VRT issue

BTW if one does a bit of research, Dublin has the closest relationship to britain, geneology wise. Liverpool has the closest Irish relationship. So perhaps we could swap ;)

And one thing that must not be overlooked is the constant moaning about people living in border counties buying cheaper products in the North. Anyone forgetting about the M1 'carpark' to newry at Christmas?

The mess we are in at the minute could partly be attributed to the levels of payment that were forked out in Dublin for property that fuelled the madness.

I know someone who owns a property company in the North.A few years ago, I was shown the brochure for a 3 bed apartment in Dublin. Price? 5 million. I was also shown another brochure for a 5 bed house on 2 acres outside Belfast. Price? 900k STG.

Which E.U. law pray tell good sir?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    As far as I can see they have been through the same check points I have been through over the last few months and are happily still driving these cars?

Whatever they are telling them?

Probably that they read that VRT was illegal on boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

stimpson wrote: »

Oh Jeees, we have to pay VRT on Boards.ie now?
    Where will they stop.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Fixed that for you.

No, if you live here and you buy a car you pay VRT. And all other taxes you're supposed to. And a TV licence is you have a TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

On the 3 o'clock news on the radio. The Táiniste, Mary Coughlan, has said it's unfair Donegal people should pay the VRT the rest of the us, and so she's abolishing it for Donegal. As a show of support for the county she's also doubling the dole for customers in Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

No, if you live here and you buy a car you pay VRT. And all other taxes you're supposed to. And a TV licence is you have a TV.

Income tax / Social Insurance and any other stuff that comes straight out of your pay, Tax treaties between countries state you have to declare your Worldwide income, but you pay your taxes where you work, not where you live, which is a damn site more than any other form of tax.

You don't have to pay VRT if you owned your car in the country you came from for at least 6 months, VRT is something that you do not necessarily have to pay, Income tax is something you always pay.

Unless in the unlikely event you work for an EU office and then local taxation rules do not apply, you pay 5% internal EU tax and can buy any car from any state you like VAT and VRT free :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Drake66 wrote: »
    stimpson wrote: »
    No more discussion of the legality or otherwise of VRT here, thanks. I've already posted two warnings in this thread, this will be the final one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Anan1 wrote: »
    No more discussion of the legality or otherwise of VRT here, thanks. I've already posted two warnings in this thread, this will be the final one.

I think Drake66 is querying which law for "the seizing of personal assets (like a car, for example) which is worth, say, 20k for an outstanding payment of say, 1k is not allowed under EU law." relates to.

I'd also like to see proof of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭batman1

The principle of proportionality as also laid out in the 2008 finance act......good sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The principle of proportionality as also laid out in the 2008 finance act......good sir!

Seizing the car is not punishment. It is to prevent the further commission of a crime. The same way as seizing a car with no insurance.

Pot, kettle, black?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055765826

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭frex

Yep...can't have separate rules for some than others...BUT...

...I have some degree of admiration for this lady, because at least she had the guts to do something about her beliefs. We love to moan as a nation, but never do anything about it. Look at the French...they cause riots, block roads and ports and set fire to sheep when they're angry. We just whine a bit. It is a ridiculous tax and she did her best to display her frustration at it! Respect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

No she didn't - she was merely ill-advised and thought she could ride rough-shod over the law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Promoting use of biofuels is tax evasion? Hardly :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

Maybe off topic a bit but i have noticed a lot of cars with uk reg for sale in the donegal area on carzone/donedeal. I cant fathom out why the irish reg cars in donegal still have the yellow uk number plate:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

frex wrote: »
    Yep...can't have separate rules for some than others...BUT...

...I have some degree of admiration for this lady, because at least she had the guts to do something about her beliefs. We love to moan as a nation, but never do anything about it. Look at the French...they cause riots, block roads and ports and set fire to sheep when they're angry. We just whine a bit. It is a ridiculous tax and she did her best to display her frustration at it! Respect!

Beliefs my hole. She just didnt want to pay a tax she thought no one had the balls to pull her up on.

The French are tools. If I had a business that was most likely struggling in the recession and some poxy wanabe hippies decided to run amok and smash up, I know who'd be the focus of my anger. "Protesting" is used as an excuse to riot and loot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

frex wrote: »

If she believed the tax was illegal and standing up for her beliefs why did she have a "check" for the VRT with her?:confused:

If she believed what she claimed, she wouldn't have bothered pretending to write the check and would have gone to her local VRO and told them she wasn't registering her vehicle as she thinks the law is illegal. Instead she drove around with a "check" to pay a tax she though was illegal. That's not standing up for your rights that's tax evasion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

It's a luxury SUV of some description. Here's the poor woman in question:

VRTStandOff.jpg

And another article on the whole sordid affair.

http://www.inishowennews.com/06VRTStandOff0477.htm

did you see the way they dragged the jeep backwards up on to the trailer.. the front wheels were flicking back and forth obviously because the jeep was in Park mode.

i wonder was there any damage done to the gearbox?

moral of the story, if you buy a foreign reg vehicle, VRT it , and pay your taxes like everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Honda08 wrote: »
    did you see the way they dragged the jeep backwards up on to the trailer.. the front wheels were flicking back and forth obviously because the jeep was in Park mode.

i wonder was there any damage done to the gearbox?

The bastards will it be in park when its getting crushed all 3ltr petrol engine of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

It's a luxury SUV of some description. Here's the poor woman in question:

VRTStandOff.jpg

And another article on the whole sordid affair.

http://www.inishowennews.com/06VRTStandOff0477.htm

from looking like her, she is an utter bitch anyway. delighted :rolleyes::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

No problem with vrt, just a gripe at how its applied. OMSP? On what planet is that then? I would imagine she is totally ripping the pi55, carrying the cheque with her, but forgetting to post it. I have imported a lot of cars, vans and jeeps, but the best laugh I got was when i brought in an Astra van, rocked up to the council gimp with my €50 in hand, and was informed that it did not conform to the commercial vrt and that the vrt would be €1570. It was an ASTRA VAN!! They claimed it could easily be converted back to a car!! Yeah, if you were handy with an angle grinder and fancied cutting out a lot of steel to fit windows and seats. I did wrong though, I should have started crying(I felt like it!) and locked myself in for 6 hours. I could have had my 15 minutes of fame. I think that when faced with the powers of Customs and Excising, you have only one choice, break out the cheque book and cough up, and smile while your at it, cause whingeing only pleases them. Conors to a man. And a Conor to me is an Irish jobsworth who is "only doing their job". They are everywhere, Conors and bleedin Badgers, Badgers being all the little people who conspire to make our lives that little bit more complicated and crappified. God bless all the conors and badgers, not a unique Irish phenomenon, but almost.

Promoting use of biofuels is tax evasion? Hardly rolleyes.gif

Oh, my mistake. I could have sworn the title of your post was 'How to sidestep....ah well, off to the biofuel market for me. :o

from looking like her, she is an utter bitch anyway. delighted

The above was posted by a user called 'x in the city'

Defamation?

That post, I believe, has been passed on to the lady in question.

I think t is now time for the mods to act and close this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

"Oh come on, thats exactly why I said "all else being equal". The point is Joe Cyclist there was bitching about people paying less tax but using all these wonderful "facalities" the country offers, when in reality a cyclist will pay a lot less tax (therefore support the country significantly less) than a motorist. On a yearly basis, we are talkng 10s of thousands less to support society.

Obviously we arent talking specifically about him or me, but in "general". If it makes it easier, just pretend its two identical individuals, same salary, different modes of transport. Due to the unfairness of the VRT and Motor Tax system, the one with the car helps the Community, School, Society more than he should while the one on the bike doesnt, as he doesnt have the "opportunity" to haemorrhage tax money like the motorist."

Unadulterated nonsense of the highest order. First item of unadulterated nonsense: tens of thousands in difference between motorist and cyclist? The average worker in Ireland doesn't pay ten thousand in tax to start with. At most it's a fairly small difference for the vast majority of comparisons.

Second: if two people both earn €30k a year, and one cycles to work while the other drives, then the money the driver spends on his or her car is taxed. The money the cyclist spends on something else instead is...taxed. Usually via VAT.

Thirdly: even the small difference that might exist gets cancelled out by a fistful of positive externalities caused by cycling. Active cyclists are less likely to have health problems, even allowing for crashes. They cause less damage to the road surface, saving on spending there. They reduce congestion, making the entire system run smoother and faster for everyone else. A cyclist may have a smaller tax bill on their spending than a motorist on an equivalent salary, but there's a good chance that they impact less upon the system - less money on healthcare, less money on road repair, less money on paying people to sit in gridlock.

Fourthly: even if that wasn't true, you don't get to opt out of taxes by declaring that you give more than you get. That's the way tax works. A taxation system exists to provide a working state and mitigate the effects of inequality: for both of those things, it's a given that some people will be paying more than they get back. We're okay with that. If you're not, then campaign for a libertarian utopia, but don't be surprised if nobody else wants in on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

"The above was posted by a user called 'x in the city'

Defamation?"

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Defamation?

If X in the City is pursued for Defamation, this woman will be pursued for tax evasion.

Cant have it both ways, can we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

"The above was posted by a user called 'x in the city'

Defamation?"

No.
    reported post?

yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

from looking like her, she is an utter bitch anyway. delighted :rolleyes::)

I'm not sure how you can see this from a photo, but it's a pointless observation and adds nothing to the thread.

Can we all stay civil please?

Defamation?

a) if you have a problem with a post, please push the report button located over here
    <<<<<<<<<<
    b) please don't back-seat mod, the thread will be closed (if it's closed) based on our own judgement
    c) how do you know the post was passed to the lady in question? What do you expect she'll do with that informaiton?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

She will either take it as an opinion or cry about it for 6 hours in her jeep which she's not paying tax on....

oh wait...

;)

Post reported.

She can do what ever she likes with the information. It is publicly viewable.

However, there are lots of people who would not take that type of comment lightly, especially written on a public internet forum.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0031/index.html

Now, can everyone get back on topic?

It looks like some sort of Lexis.

It appears to be registered out of state...

what's left to discuss on this topic really? It had a good long run.

Woman buys cheaper car but doesn't want to pay tax. Any sort of tax not just vrt. She's not paying motor tax on it either. So she drives around and ironicly on her way to give states evidence she gets caught by customs, cries for 6 hours, drives home, wakes up to customs and guards looking to take car away.

Boo hoo, no one really cares about her.

Also can we read that quote correctly?

it says looking like her

like her

no looking at...looking like.

Make of that what you will but will the same person pass that post along ;D

oh god i'm bored.

Yawns wrote: »

oh god i'm bored.
    Not as bored as your wan in Donegal who got her jeep taken on the best weekend of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Post reported.

She can do what ever she likes with the information. It is publicly viewable.

However, there are lots of people who would not take that type of comment lightly, especially written on a public internet forum.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0031/index.html

Infracted for backseat modding. Next it's a ban. You've been told what to do when you want to report something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

I see their is two threads running on this vrt topic. Vrt is a a tax that you must pay full stop.

I wonder if that one goes in to tescos or dunnes to do her shopping and when she gets to the till she informs the cashier that she dosent pay vat on her shopping because she is from donegal...

I have never heard such stupidity with a facebook campaign and the likes just pay your taxes woman it dont matter what county your from..

Advertisement