Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy CousCous Ideas

Options
  • 20-05-2010 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just looking for a bit of advice! Have a bag of couscous at home dying to be utilized and I'm just looking for some healthy ideas as to what to do with it.

Would like to use it for lunches, so would need to be prepped beforehand, and I'm losing weight at the moment, so don't want to use oil.

So any suggestions for good veg/seasoning that can be mixed with the couscous to make a nutritious lunch?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 karen86

couscous salad with spur of the moment ingredients.

I like to chop up a bunch of vegetables into tiny pieces, put some seasoning like lemon juice, salt, pepper, tiny bit of olive oil, chill it in the fridge. Quite delicious, and versatile too!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I used just cook it in chicken stock, and mix it with cooked frozen veg, add maybe some garlic, salt, pepper and a small knob of butter.

There's loads of recipes out there though. Try bbc.co.uk/food for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gerbo

Made some cous cous last night for lunch today.
    Chicken OXO cube crushed and mixed with a 100g of cous cous along with a tablespoon of sweet chilly sauce. Pour over the boiling water, leave to sit covered for a couple of minutes and you are done! It worked out at about 6.5 points on the WW plan.

Very quick and easily prepped

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Here's a recipe that I use for a cous cous salad (usually served when I do a BBQ):

Cous Cous Salad Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients
    1 packet of cous cous
    1 medium red pepper, finely diced
    1 medium red onion, finely diced
    1 bunch scallions, finely diced
    5 sun-dried tomatoes, finely diced
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 knobs butter
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground chilli
    ½ tsp salt

Preparation
    Prepare the cous cous as per the packet instructions
    When done add 1 tbsp of olive oil & butter & mix thoroughly then allow to cool
    Gently fry the spices in the remaining olive oil for 2 mins
    Add the pepper, onion, garlic & salt & sweat for 10 mins
    Allow to cool & then mix into the cous cous with the sun-dried tomatoes & scallions

Contains oil, butter & salt, but that's my personal preference. You could also play around with the veg - I've used celery, carrots, courgettes. You could also add some freshly chopped coriander to top it off. Whatever floats your boat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

Thanks a mil guys for the suggestions!

Anything that can be prepared in bulk beforehand is good for me. And I'm good with adjusting so instead of tablespoon of oil I'll use spray oil for the veg and just use a little butter first! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I roast a load of veg - whatever I have in the fridge really. Make the cous cous with boiling water (I really don't like bought stock) and I flavour it with lemon and sometimes pesto. Or herbs... whatever is there really. I like the crunch of fresh veg in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I put roast veg into mine and its yummm.

If you are looking for a low fat dressing to have with it mix 0% fat greek yoghurt (think its made by onkel) with crushed garlic & cumin.

Advertisement