Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of the SEI Home Energy Scheme

Options
  • 20-05-2010 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

I recently applied for a grant under the SEI HomeEnergy Saving Scheme. I chose a contractor from the list that they provided and they send me out the application form with that contractors name on it.

I got the work done and submitted the application form to the SEI. It has just been returned to me because

"The contractor was not actively registered on the HES scheme at the time of signing the DOW. We cannot process the DOW form until the contractor is actively registered on the HES scheme again and shows evidence of compliance with the schemes rules regarding Tax Clearance certificate and insurance cover at all times"

This is a complete joke - I chose the contractor from their list :mad:. I'm now down €500. Does any organ of the government in this sorry country of ours work in a competent fashion?

Be very very wary of this scheme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Have you contacted them to seek some compensation from them for their mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

podge3 wrote: »
    I recently applied for a grant under the SEI HomeEnergy Saving Scheme. I chose a contractor from the list that they provided and they send me out the application form with that contractors name on it.

I got the work done and submitted the application form to the SEI. It has just been returned to me because

"The contractor was not actively registered on the HES scheme at the time of signing the DOW. We cannot process the DOW form until the contractor is actively registered on the HES scheme again and shows evidence of compliance with the schemes rules regarding Tax Clearance certificate and insurance cover at all times"

This is a complete joke - I chose the contractor from their list :mad:. I'm now down €500. Does any organ of the government in this sorry country of ours work in a competent fashion?

Be very very wary of this scheme

I would try and get this back from them, what have you got to lose? Before making any complaint to them though you need to print off a list of the contractors on their website, showing in the printout at the top or bottom the web address, date and time (lest they amend it once they get your complaint). A screenshot would be handy as well as proof. Dobht you will much satisfaction but thanks for highlighting this. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

dudara wrote: »
    Have you contacted them to seek some compensation from them for their mistake?
    Contacted who? The contractor or SEI.

I haven't spoken to the contractor yet. I reckon it'll be a waste of time although I will try.

tommy21 wrote: »
    I would try and get this back from them, what have you got to lose? Before making any complaint to them though you need to print off a list of the contractors on their website, showing in the printout at the top or bottom the web address, date and time (lest they amend it once they get your complaint). A screenshot would be handy as well as proof. Dobht you will much satisfaction but thanks for highlighting this. What a joke.
    The contractor in question is no longer on their list, although I do have copies of the SEI grant forms which they sent me with his name on.
    There was about 5 weeks between my application and the work being done.

I would love to go on Joe Duffy but I haven't got the balls to go on national radio, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Contacted who? The contractor or SEI.

I haven't spoken to the contractor yet. I reckon it'll be a waste of time although I will try.

The SEI - they are the ones who told you (and gave you a preprinted form) that the contractor was eligible. You proceeded based on the knowledge.

dudara wrote: »
    The SEI - they are the ones who told you (and gave you a preprinted form) that the contractor was eligible. You proceeded based on the knowledge.
    I think the conversation would go something like this:

I have been unable to contact the contractor - he could be gone out of business for all I know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I have been unable to contact the contractor - he could be gone out of business for all I know.

Ask Liz McManus to raise a question in the Dáil about it, she is good at prodding that fool Eamon Ryan. Her contact details are on the Oireachtas site. You proceeded in good faith based on SEI information. They should have coughed.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ask Liz McManus to raise a question in the Dáil about it, she is good at prodding that fool Eamon Ryan. Her contact details are on the Oireachtas site.
    Excellent idea - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I applied for this scheme in April, I am still waiting for approval, should be €500 as well. My parents can't understand why I don't just go ahead and get it done and claim back, must be joking.....as if I'd trust the SEI.

OP I would put the compliant together and send it registered post to the SEI. I don't know what your next course of action is though if they don't approve you..

Also, as far as I can remember, you can't print off a list of installers. You have to pick a service and search for the contractor. The installers on the site should be given 12 months membership or the grant should be gaurenteed for 3 months form the day it was awarded, to cover companies.

Update on this.

I finally got in touch with the contractor and he said its only a small problem with his insurance. It should be sorted out within a week, he claims.

I'm still a bit skeptical but even if it is sorted out, its a ludicrous system. Once the contractor is approved by the SEI, the householder should be paid once the work is completed in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks for all the replies and fingers crossed.

Advertisement