Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physic 2010!!

Options
  • 20-05-2010 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

ANY predictions from yer teacher for expieriments?? i am doin it myself so not getting any tips.. what have yer teacher said??

Pass and honours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

ok my tips(for honours)

experiments
    -Boyle's law
    -Refractive index of water/glass
    -Specific latent heat of vapourisation
    -Joule's Law

Mechanics Q- Vectors+scalars or maybe circular motion
    A full question on light
    Modern physics- Lots of stuff about the photoelectric effect...Einstein's equation , the experiment....etc
    Particle physics- is gonna be different this year cause most of the stuff is in the log tables. They'll defo ask about the 4 fundamental forces , probably in more detail than other years, so know them.. they might ask to explain Cockroft and Walton's experiment... the maths in it will be harder than usual too.
    Q12- could be anything!
    Q11- probably be electricity
    On a side note the electricity questions will be really hard this year because they were so easy last year.. and there will be loads of electricity!!A question with coulombs law and electric field strenght hasn't come up since 2007 , so i'd watch out for that too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 iloveloft

any idea how the new log tables will affect making schemes/questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

iloveloft wrote: »
    any idea how the new log tables will affect making schemes/questions?

I highly doubt giving a definition in terms of its formula only will be acceptable this year, as the formulae and what the letters stand for are in the tables now.
    Learn the word definitions!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

MavisDavis wrote: »
    I highly doubt giving a definition in terms of its formula only will be acceptable this year, as the formulae and what the letters stand for are in the tables now.
    Learn the word definitions!
    My teacher an grinds tutor both say that nothing marking wise has changed from last.Basicly making it a lot easier for us.The marking schemes haven't been changed and the schools didn't get letters saying there would be a change in how the papers were marked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

gant0 wrote: »
    My teacher an grinds tutor both say that nothing marking wise has changed from last.Basicly making it a lot easier for us.The marking schemes haven't been changed and the schools didn't get letters saying there would be a change in how the papers were marked.

But what would be the point in asking for definitions that are in the log tables? It doesn't make much sense.
    Maybe there just won't be that many definitions on the paper this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

That's exactly why we're at such an advantage this year.They can't give less definations because it has to be 20% of the paper.I'm not worried because I've always learned off my definitions properly but it's handy if you're stuck.It'll be very handy for particle physics tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

can we just clear this up once and for all, this: http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S_60_09_Information_re_Formulae_and_Booklet_Tables.pdf is from the state examinations commission website, basically says no change for our year, being brought in from 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 L.C.Deirdre

We're lucky, we're like the in-between year! =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

you still need to have the brains to go to the right page, pick out the right definition and give the right names for the letters. Deffo worth 6 marks :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

give the right names for the letters

hah, they're in the maths tables too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

for electricity the ampere and its demo experiment is a big tip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

darragh-k wrote: »
    hah, they're in the maths tables too!

still have to go searchin for them :D ah I love the tables

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭E0inz

ok my tips(for honours)

experiments
    -Boyle's law
    -Joule's Law

A full question on light
    Modern physics- Lots of stuff about the photoelectric effect...Einstein's equation , the experiment....etc
    Particle physics- is gonna be different this year cause most of the stuff is in the log tables. They'll defo ask about the 4 fundamental forces , probably in more detail than other years, so know them.. they might ask to explain Cockroft and Walton's experiment... the maths in it will be harder than usual too.
    Q12- could be anything!
    On a side note the electricity questions will be really hard this year because they were so easy last year.. and there will be loads of electricity!!A question with coulombs law and electric field strenght hasn't come up since 2007 , so i'd watch out for that too!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

ok my tips(for honours)

experiments
    -Boyle's law
    -Joule's Law

A full question on light
    Q12- could be anything!

I don't know why everyone thinks the photoelectric effect is coming up there was pretty much a full Q on it last year. with the photon and that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Mine said circular motion for definate. He hasn't said much to us 5th years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Paddi Jones

Full question on light would be a beaut!
    You really think that'll be the case? Haven't looked at the exam papers yet so I don't have any predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

was there not a big issue made last year the the a ∝ F has never come up so why is it on the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Rich1691 wrote: »
    was there not a big issue made last year the the a ∝ F has never come up so why is it on the course?
    I'm a repeat and we were REALLY tipping that one to come up last year, came up on the mock and all (i know i know mocks dont matter....but still ha ) and now this year everyones gone and tipped Boyles Law, even though F=ma never came up.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paddyh

Rich1691 wrote: »

Is that not the really easy one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

paddyh wrote: »
    Is that not the really easy one ?

well it's the one where you have all but one of the masses on the trolley and one on the scale pan hanging over the edge etc... It looks like it will either be Boyle's Law or a∝F from what I've been reading but I thats a complete guess, as is everything else on this thread I suppose...

• Advertisement
Advertisement