Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New "super-zoom" camera. What now?

• 20-05-2010 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭

So I bought a Panasonic DMC FZ38, recently. Problem is that I am only a happy snappy kind of guy. Holidays, sports, occasions etc. but I have been told that this camera is powerful enough to take some really nice photographs. Hoping that this is true

Basically I know nothing, I have read the FAQ etc but they all focus on SLR's.
    Is there anywhere that deals with the very basics, on how to take good "Memory" photos?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I don't know about the camera you have, but if you just want to have some good pics to look back on in a few years and not the blurry self portrait facebook crap most people have just make sure what your photographing is properly exposed (not too dark or bright), lined up nicely (Look up rule of thirds) and your subject is in focus.

Aslo if you take landscapes, try make sure the horizon is straight. That can make some otherwise great shots look way off.

Only starting out with an SLR myself so i'm sure some more people here could probably give you better advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Time to ignore the technology side of things and do some reading/experimenting with composition, depth of field etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

So I bought a Panasonic DMC FZ38, recently. Problem is that I am only a happy snappy kind of guy. Holidays, sports, occasions etc. but I have been told that this camera is powerful enough to take some really nice photographs. Hoping that this is true

That's a nice camera and it certainly is capable of taking good photographs.
    Basically I know nothing, I have read the FAQ etc but they all focus on SLR's.
    Is there anywhere that deals with the very basics, on how to take good "Memory" photos?

Rule #1 Have it with you. It won't take any nice photographs if you leave it at
    home. Stick it in an Aldi camera bag and take it for a walk regularly. The weather
    forecast is fairly good for 53.342835N 6.283809W over the next few days.

General technical stuff about shutter speed, ISO and aperture applies
    to bridge cameras in much the same way as SLRs. The same applies
    to more artistic stuff like rules/guidelines for composition etc...

Carry on reading. Look at other peoples photos. Ask yourself which
    ones you like and why you like them? Which ones do you hate and
    why do you hate them?

Good Luck with the new camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Thanks guys.
    I have always been interested in this area but never got around to doing anything about that untill now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I just looked up the specs on the Panasonic DMC FZ38 and you have more than enough camera to take stunning images. All you read about DSLR's will apply to that camera. It has the Manual Modes to give you control & will shoot in RAW (to give you control in post production) The only things that an entry level DSLR will give you is a proper viewfinder & the ability to change lenses. The missing ingredients are knowledge & experience. To get good images you need to understand a bit about Photography & Light. Good luck with it & enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

CabanSail wrote: »
    I just looked up the specs on the Panasonic DMC FZ38 and you have more than enough camera to take stunning images. All you read about DSLR's will apply to that camera. It has the Manual Modes to give you control & will shoot in RAW (to give you control in post production) The only things that an entry level DSLR will give you is a proper viewfinder & the ability to change lenses. The missing ingredients are knowledge & experience. To get good images you need to understand a bit about Photography & Light. Good luck with it & enjoy.

That is great to know.
    I just need to get myself in gear and learn the basics.

Seems that I got it for a steal at €230 in a Bricks and Mortar store, everywhere is looking for 270-300:pac:

Advertisement