Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm on the look out for a car...

• 20-05-2010 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭

Sold my car this morning after 2 days :p so I'm on the look out for something.

I reckon €35,000 is the max I'll spend. Boxster, Cayman, 645/650i, 335, E46 M3, E60 M5.... would have to be RWD or 4.

Begin.............. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

E46 M3

You can lock the thread now and post up a new one when you get the pics.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Here we go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

RS4? - http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/RS4/4.2-FSI-/201014197557819/advert?channel=CARS&featuredListingClickThru=true

It's on a WW plate though. I know you said before you don't like non-D!

I'll never understand why folks with a substantial wodge of cash feel the need to consult a forum to help with their selection, fair enough if you're looking for a heap of crap for a grand to knock about in.

I reckon whatever you buy you should get it checked out anyway by someone who has a clue in case it's been in a smack ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Not sure if I'd mind as much with so much depreciation gone from the car already. edit: re the reg

I do want something tidy and low kms (within reason). I've walked away from a car with a full BMW warranty, the idea of getting into something that's going to need big money spent on servicing and repairs is new to me!

Positive as always RJ! Well able to spot a damaged car, an almost perfect paint job on a car with already very fresh paint is very different.

Just a bit of a distraction for everyone from the boring day in work (if your job is boring) don't think it's any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Had my eye on that alright for quite a while, will probably try and drive it over the next week or so. Not mad on the wheels at all, but nice spec, savage engine. Deffo on my list of to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

How about this?

Go on, you know you want to, a little older but low miles and way below budget so you can keep the balance in an emergency fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

MarkN wrote: »
    Had my eye on that alright for quite a while, will probably try and drive it over the next week or so. Not mad on the wheels at all, but nice spec, savage engine. Deffo on my list of to look at.

Gorgeous car. Never understood why so many people buy the base 630i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Cayman or Boxster.

Or maybe a Z4 coupe (sensible) or SLK 55 (bonkers)?

You'd probably scrape to a current M5 too if you really want to go all out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

RoverJames wrote: »
    I reckon whatever you buy you should get it checked out anyway by someone who has a clue in case it's been in a smack ;)
    Enough.

Most of the good ones on Pistonheads are sold but I love the 964 911.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

but...but... the 650i is ugly:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Did you buy that Cayman? I remember it being for sale. edit; I see your post now.

You see there's a 08 in Cunningham Higgins for not much more - it's not an S but it is loaded, S wheels, seal grey etc.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/M5/201018197892339/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

That €35k will buy you almost anything you have in mind once you are willing to entertain the idea of a 2003-2006 car.
    There are plenty of 6 Series (coupé & convertibles) available for that money with extremely low miles.
    Here's an unusual colour for a 6 Series, they all seem to have been ordered in silver/black/grey, so this might be distinctive, on the other hand it could be too distinctive!
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/6-Series/Manual-6/201015197595771/advert?channel=CARS

What about a Maserati?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Maserati/4200/CambioCo/201017197824586/advert?channel=CARS

BMW M5 (my choice, in my favourite M5 colour)

(Check that this is not the interlagos blue one that has been written off)

Become a property developer in this Lexus GS450H:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Lexus/GS450H/HYBRID-4/201014197557531/advert?channel=CARS

A fat cat banker in a Merc CL500

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/CL-Class/500-AMG-/201003196650982/advert?channel=CARS

Merc SL350 (another favourate of mine)

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/SL-Class/SL-350/201018197873306/advert?channel=CARS

e46 M3 Cabriolet with hardtop

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/M3/CABRIOLE/200832189619892/advert?channel=CARS#

Merc CLS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/CLS-Class/320-Cdi/200952196303660/advert?channel=CARS

I'd be happy enough driving any of them except the GS450H

Nice BMW 335i

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/335ci/201016197722043/advert?channel=CARS

Am I the only one who hates the look of the 6 series?

That cabrio looks like a TT mashed together with an old astra cabrio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Yep, 6 series is Fugly.

Surely at that money you're talking late 996/early 997 rather than Boxster/Cayman. That's where I'd go if I was going German.
    I do like that Maserati - a very rare car in Ireland - though it would have to be the coupe version for me.

cjt156 wrote: »
    Yep, 6 series is Fugly.

Surely at that money you're talking late 996/early 997 rather than Boxster/Cayman. That's where I'd go if I was going German.
    I do like that Maserati - a very rare car in Ireland - though it would have to be the coupe version for me.

997 not a hope for that money, went looking for a 2005 one that was on Gilson's today and it's gone. It was up for 55k. 996 possibly.

997 not a hope for that money, went looking for a 2005 one that was on Gilson's today and it's gone. It was up for 55k. 996 possibly.

Or be different and partake in some Porsche history...

43.JPG

47.JPG

58.JPG

993 Turbo might be out of your price range, but a C2/4 would be possible.

70.JPG

72.JPG

My offical vote: Porsche 993 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

We should just start crossing things off the list really, otherwise the same stuff will come up over and over for 26 pages.
    OK, things I reckon you should rule out straight away are:
    335i - you've been there, done that.
    E46 M3 - You've had the E92 M3, the E46 will feel like too large a gap backwards.
    645i - Less power and higher fuel consumption than the 650i.

After that you're left with categories really. If it must be German then it's time to just go for the Cayman. You tend not to like Japanese stuff, so I reckon we can leave out the NSX/Skyline type suggestions, unless you can find a Lexus ISF within that budget, but I doubt it.
    That leaves it down to do you want a roadster like a Boxter or Z4, a coupe like a Cayman or 911, or a cruiser like a 650i or an M5, or maybe a 550i that might be going cheap.
    Do you like Mrecs?
    Edit: The 993 will depreciate about as little as anything you can spend 35k on.

Too old I reckon, good choice though :)

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Edit: The 993 will depreciate about as little as anything you can spend 35k on.

They've hit the bottom alright, will appreciate, if anything, when the 'climate' (i hate that word) improves...
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Too old I reckon, good choice though :)

Yeah, they are 'old' - but they are built better than any modern car. They have all the modern comforts too - electric seats/mirrors/sunroof, heated windscreen, heated seats, traction control etc etc.

I dont have the foggiest about running costs and that sort of thing, i drove them about 30 feet, so can't comment on that either but they are a seriously cool car imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Sold my car this morning after 2 days :p so I'm on the look out for something.

I reckon €35,000 is the max I'll spend. Boxster, Cayman, 645/650i, 335, E46 M3, E60 M5.... would have to be RWD or 4.

Begin.............. :D

2 days? what did you have after the M3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

2005 Renault Clio V6 3.0L
    1200 miles
    €22,000
    EX_6793_40190245140_1.jpg

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2757679

Roverjames, I don't know you and you don't know me so will you please stop casting assumptions about what's too old or not thanks. :)

Love the 993 - turbo would be out of my price range but the main problem is there's no good examples (there's one or two on Carzone) in Ireland so it's a UK buy. No problem with that, just again, something I haven't done before. Makes going to "have a look" that bit more difficult.

I think these are absolutely beautiful.
    1617354-1.jpg

£24,599 for this.
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1714894.htm
    1714894-1.jpg

Does anyone know why the 911 doesn't feature in the drop down menu on the VRT calculator?

Seperate wrote: »
    They've hit the bottom alright, will appreciate, if anything, when the 'climate' (i hate that word) improves...

Yeah, they are 'old' - but they are built better than any modern car. They have all the modern comforts too - electric seats/mirrors/sunroof, heated windscreen, heated seats, traction control etc etc.

I dont have the foggiest about running costs and that sort of thing, i drove them about 30 feet, so can't comment on that either but they are a seriously cool car imo.
    You also have the die-hard fans who claim that the water-cooled 911's are the only real 911's, and the 993 being the last water cooled was "obviously the best!". So, ya, I reckon if anything a good one will either keep its value or appreciate.

Edit: - actually, just a tip - I reckon for a mint Porsche you're best bet would be the Porsche Ireland club or UK Porsche owners club for a purchase. Cars in there tend to be sought after so the owners of the decent examples have offers so they never need to advertise on the likes of carzone or auto trader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Do you have specific criteria you want to stick to? Like a previous poster mentioned, this thread will be the same old waffle if we don't know what you're actually after. E.g. minimum 3.0l engine, 2/3 door preferably.

Personally I'd find it very difficult to downgrade to a model of car I'm already familiar with (you've had GTIs, S3, 335i and an M3, so I couldn't see you being happy in anything below their class or even an older model). Hence I'd rule out the e46 M3.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Edit: - actually, just a tip - I reckon for a mint Porsche you're best bet would be the Porsche Ireland club or UK Porsche owners club for a purchase. Cars in there tend to be sought after so the owners of the decent examples have offers so they never need to advertise on the likes of carzone or auto trader.

You can tip over to Porsche Club Ireland for some advice if you're seriously considering it. Only a handful of the club actually use the forum but the lads on there are grand and will answer anything you want.

That pistonheads one looks great, same colour as the C4 i did a few weeks ago. Stunning car.

• Advertisement

I'd like a coupe Fizman, a soft top is a bit ghey I think so while I wouldn't rule one out, I'd rather a coupe.

I think the older, mint 911s are just stunning, 993, 964... I think they're just class.

The link I posted above of the 993 I would buy tomorrow.

:D Do it! The VRT cant be enough to put it over budget...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Then I think you know the answer - cast around for one here - if not head to the UK. Maybe try and make a weekend of it with the girl friend - head over Friday check out one or two cars - spend the rest of the weekend with her and head back to collect on your own the next week if successful. (If it doesn't work out, you have to repeat the process a few weeks later - I'm sure she won't mind!)

Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Maybe I'm a bit behind but why did you sell the e92 m3?!

I was looking at 07 911s, thought about selling the M3 for one, it went from there. It was still worth decent money which helped make up my mind.

Maybe I'm a bit behind but why did you sell the e92 m3?!

MarkN suffers from icantkeepacarformorethansixmonths-itis

Cyrus is another member on here which has this rather costly long term illness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The m3 sold fast mark congrats....How about a e60 M5? plenty with lowish milage maybe a 2006 like

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/M5/M5/201015197653592/advert?channel=CARS

Milage a bit high or

private sale???.

If not then a porker but it will be older. RS4 is a great option also and just about in that price bracket.

Best of luck, and good hunting....

:p actually had the M3 for 15 months!

Whatever I buy it'll be getting booked into yourself Seperate anyway.

Lovely... but it doesn't get me stupidly excited looking at it like the 993 does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Whatever you get you better start coming to the Motors Offline meets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

:P

brace yourselves for a similar post from me towards the end of june :D

for the money mark id be looking at the following:
    Boxster 3.4s (gilson has a silver one) or cayman s
    Audi RS4 - the noise out of those things is something else
    e46 m3 csl / e60 m5 - altho im not sure if coming from an e92 m3 you would be wowed by either?
    and obviously a tidy 993/996 911 , but as you have already said that is easier said than done

other slightly more left field choices BMW z4m coupe, merc slk55, bmw 650i, maserati 4200, audi TTS

dont mind those who dont want to see these threads, i for one enjoy them (well i would i spose), looking forward to see what you get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'd like a coupe Fizman, a soft top is a bit ghey I think so while I wouldn't rule one out, I'd rather a coupe.

I think the older, mint 911s are just stunning, 993, 964... I think they're just class.

Are you sticking to petrol for sure, or are you entertaining diesels? Just so we can rule out any 335d and 3.0 tdi's suggestions.

Fizman wrote: »
    Are you sticking to petrol for sure, or are you entertaining diesels? Just so we can rule out any 335d and 3.0 tdi's suggestions.

hardly any point in going from an e92 m3 to an e92 anything else id reckon?

I'd drive a 635D that's about it.. I don't really want to go near diesel until I'm forced to some day. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Love these threads - especially knowing the OP will actually go ahead with something tasty!

Anyway, much to the horror of most Porsche afficinados, I'm not the worlds biggest fan of the 993 - the 996 Turbo or C4S would be my allround favourite looks wise, although I do like the 997 - which I think you're right in saying would be out of the budget you're setting aside. (love the 997 front, still not overly gone on the arse!). Boxster S is a very tasty looking motor imo as well.

What do you think of the Z4M? (Just noticed that Cyrus mentioned it) Prices are severely depressed here in comparison to the UK. (There are two €24k roadsters on carzone)

Think I always mention an NSX as well - not sure if you're ever said you hate them or not!

Theres a chance I'll need to be selling my M3 soon enough if you want to save a large chunk of your budget :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It feels that no matter what you end up with, it will be a downgrade to what you had. And the list of cars like boxsters, 6series etc loose value very quickly so by the time you sell it, the replacement could be a micra :P.

So if I had 35k now, I'd get an Exige S and something very cheap and sensible to get me around mid week.

steve06 wrote: »
    It feels that no matter what you end up with, it will be a downgrade to what you had. And the list of cars like boxsters, 6series etc loose value very quickly so by the time you sell it, the replacement could be a micra :P.

So if I had 35k now, I'd get an Exige S and something very cheap and sensible to get me around mid week.

dont think that mark will suffer the kinda depreciation that he is used to on anything mentioned so far, remember most of his cars have been new or nearly new thus far

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Anyone know the story with the 911 missing from the Porsche menu on the VRT calculator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Always been underwhelmed by the 6 series, feels slow and lazy and thats a 645i I drove for a week. From a e92 m3 could feel very sedate. There is great value in them though.

Need to think outside of box on this one........

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ferrari/360/Spider/201019197994813/advert?channel=CARS

bit expensive...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Maserati/Quattroporte/4.2-DUO-/201019198005240/advert?channel=CARS

not a coupe but stunning car...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus-RS/RS-305-B/201005196816413/advert?channel=CARS

Now your talking.....nearly new, much respect for this car...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/S5/4.2-FSI-/201007196986095/advert?channel=CARS

Nice.,,,

Oh I love these threads....

• Advertisement
Advertisement