Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm on the look out for a car...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

MarkN wrote: »
    Anyone know the story with the 911 missing from the Porsche menu on the VRT calculator?

yep, they give a specific quote on each one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

Cyrus wrote: »
    yep, they give a specific quote on each one :rolleyes:

That is just so Irish.

So you email them a link of the car or something or you call them is that it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I know of an M5 in Cork going. If you're interested, PM me and I'll find out details - I'd tell you to reply on here, but then I'd forget all about this thread in 30 seconds with my stupid memory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Always been underwhelmed by the 6 series, feels slow and lazy and thats a 645i I drove for a week. From a e92 m3 could feel very sedate. There is great value in them though.
    An S5 will feel every bit as lazy as a 650i, same power in both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

dont think that mark will suffer the kinda depreciation that he is used to on anything mentioned so far, remember most of his cars have been new or nearly new thus far

You mad? Buy a 6series for 35 and trade it next year and you'll be offered 15 for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

That is just so Irish.

So you email them a link of the car or something or you call them is that it?

They then pass the details on to a VRT consultant (Yes he exists!) who gives them a figure calculated off current market values. He was doing a Morgan recently when I met up with him.

They then pass the details on to a VRT consultant (Yes he exists!) who gives them a figure calculated off current market values. He was doing a Morgan recently when I met up with him.
    No doubt he screwed them... I know I've received some complete bullsh!t OMSP quotes at over 10k above market value for cars once they've been passed onto the 'consultant' - and this was after I had sent examples of similar cars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Actually if I was in your position I think I'd be buying this at the weekend!

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201007196986095

I've recently been lured over to the dark side (of owning a candy white VAG that it). No regrets mind!

07' S5 with very low mileage. Happy days.

• Advertisement

I presume the form I need is the valuation of a collectable vehicle form?

Only seems to be PDF, I'm guessing, being Ireland, this means the post?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I presume the form I need is the valuation of a collectable vehicle form?

Only seems to be PDF, I'm guessing, being Ireland, this means the post?!

You can email them - the addresses are on the contacts section of the site.

Heres what I was given before -

Please use the list below as a guide to the information required in order to estimate vehicle registration tax.
    1 Make:
    2 Model and Version:
    3 Colour:
    4 Status: New Used
    5 Body Type:
    (e.g. Saloon, Convertible, Coupe)
    6 Engine Size (cc):
    7 Number of Doors:
    8 Number of Seats:
    9 Number of Windows:
    10 Petrol / Diesel:
    11 Manual / Automatic:
    12 Right or Left Hand Drive:
    13 Mileage:
    14 Country of First Registration:
    15 Date of First Registration:
    16 Current Registration Number: (if known)
    17 Any further information you may think is relevant:

And send it to your local VRT office - I used SouthCountyVRT@revenue.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Used that for a quote on a C4S a while back btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

You havent said yes or no to mercs yet?

Either way how about these.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/CL-Class/BRABUS-5/201005196818957/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/CLS-Class/55-AMG-K/201017197756290/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/SLK-Class/55-AMG/200940195362409/advert?channel=CARS

I dont know about you but id much rather drrive one of these than any audi or bmw. Altough there a lot of cars id drive over either of them, each to there own i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

steve06 wrote: »
    So if I had 35k now, I'd get an Exige S and something very cheap and sensible to get me around mid week.

No point in getting a Lotus unless he plans to track it regularly.

993 if depreciation is a big worry or else a Cayman S.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    No point in getting a Lotus unless he plans to track it regularly.

That's not true, I know a lot of people who use them as daily drivers.

I reckon the S5 is the best car mentioned so far. I'd go in with an offer if I was you Mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Seperate wrote: »
    Am I the only one who hates the look of the 6 series?
    No, you are not. The 5 series is not much better and the interior is even worse. IMHO...

That's not true, I know a lot of people who use them as daily drivers.

And they track them as well I'd imagine? Not saying you can't drive them every day but they're not very practical.

That's why I said to buy a cheap run around :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/CLS-Class/55-AMG-K/201017197756290/advert?channel=CARS

I dont know about you but id much rather drrive one of these than any audi or bmw. Altough there a lot of cars id drive over either of them, each to there own i guess.

that looks like incredibly good value, mileage is a little high though

That's why I said to buy a cheap run around :D

Well if he doesn't track his cars regularly what's the point in buying a Lotus and a cheap run-around? Why not just get a good, practical daily driver like a Cayman?

• Advertisement

Track days don't interest me in the sense that I don't have the time to go to them really.

Just looking for one car. I'm gonna rent a Golf from Argus for a few weeks (it's only €338 for nearly a month!) and think this one out.

I reckon the S5 is the best car mentioned so far. I'd go in with an offer if I was you Mark.

best car in what way? it sounds good and looks nice, but is a lot slower than a rs4 and wont handle anything like a boxster or cayman S :D

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/SLK-Class/55-AMG/200940195362409/advert?channel=CARS

the slk55 is supposed to be a cracking car mark....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

Fizman wrote: »
    Actually if I was in your position I think I'd be buying this at the weekend!

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201007196986095

I've recently been lured over to the dark side (of owning a candy white VAG that it). No regrets mind!

07' S5 with very low mileage. Happy days.

That S5 actually looks brilliant well worth thinking about it you really are interested in an Audi (the dark side!)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201019197932937

Too old man-ish? Would be a serious machine to go...

Out of everything that's been suggested so far I think the 993 has to be at the top of the pile....

While a top of the range 993 turbo might be slightly out of your price range it'd be well worth maxing out for it. In comparison to the rest of the suggestions it'll have the lowest depreciation rate and possibly might even appreciate....

Assuming you picked up a 993 that didn't cost you an arm and a leg to maintain the 993 would cost you less over the space of 2/3 years. Plus every time you walk out to the car you'll be thinking YES! this is my car!!

Something else that might be worth looking at is a XK/XKR but again I don't think it'd be anything compared to the 993.

http://www.compucars.co.uk/used-cars/jaguar/xk/xk/for-sale/?1190421

http://www.compucars.co.uk/used-cars/jaguar/xk/xkr/for-sale/?1240720

Maybe a little bit out of your price range but isn't that just a guide?! :D You'll probably end up adding €10k to your budget!!

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201019197932937

Too old man-ish? Would be a serious machine to go...

Damn beat me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The problem is, anything that you buy will be a step back from the M3, maybe with the exception of the 993.

I think you'd end up hating it because it isnt an M3 very quickly. Maybe im wrong though.

Would you not go different and buy something like an RS Focus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I hang out on the PCI site as well, and go to meets etc - there is no shortage of really good 993's there - in fact, the best one I have ever seen in the flesh, UK or IRL, belongs to a PCI member. Late model (98) C4S....

Do bear in mind though, the majority of 993's are approaching 15-20yrs old.....nothing wrong with them, but they won't have the comfort or civility of a modern motor - esp a premium one. But fabulous in their own right.

996's - well, they must be the performance bargain of the moment, imho. Do bear in mind, and the PCI site has more than a few examples, that the engines can quite unexpectedly go 'pop'. This aptitude explains their appalling rate of depreciation. And from that site, the consensus is that Agnew's yard is full of 997's with not-dissimilar issues............I'd still buy one, but at the right price. 996 Turbo, anyone ?

I like that 650i. Yes it's as made as a bag of hammers, including the styling - but isn't that part of the attracton ?? :p

Cayman fabulous, but god, not a Silver one, puhleez......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Always love your wisdom posts G-TT :)

I'm gonna take a walk over to Gilsons in the morning as I work close by and I'll have a look, he mentioned a 2007:mad: Cayman over the phone for mid 30s and they've that nice silver Boxster (probably the only soft top I'd ever buy).

Probably wouldn't do any harm to head along to one of those meets and ask questions.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...glad to be part of the fun :)

Next big PCI gathering is at the Mosney Show on Sunday 13th June - 20 PCI cars on their lot, including one of mine - so if you're not in a rush, wait 'til then and ogle all manner of models.......and cars as well :p

Cars For Sale from members over there, too: http://forum.porsche-club-ireland.com/index.php?topic=581.0

Of course, if you do buy a 996, I'll take it off you when you're finished. Pref a turbo, and not silver/black/blue. White/Red/Yellow, yes ! :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

alias no.9 wrote: »
    How about this?

Go on, you know you want to, a little older but low miles and way below budget so you can keep the balance in an emergency fund.

I might have made it a bit too subtle the first time but for €25k, it's serious metal (sorry fibreglass). You'll never meet another one on the road and it's one of the rawest, purest drivers cars you can get but the KY reg may be a bridge too far.
    no-image-large.gif

best car in what way? it sounds good and looks nice, but is a lot slower than a rs4 and wont handle anything like a boxster or cayman S :D

But he has no interest in track days ;)

Plenty of ways to enjoy these cars on a daily basis, handling doesn't have to be just good at track speeds.

Hardly noticeable on a daily basis though. Handling on my GTV was rubbish on track, but it never had a problem on the road or across the mountains.

Just test a few cars and go for whatever makes your heart race the most. Don't leave it too long though because after a month in a golf, an octavia might seem interesting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is a 997 really out of budget in these hard times for a sharp opportunist? If it is, a Cayman is what I'd go for instead.

That said, I've never seen an air cooled P-car look as good as the one in Mark's link. And I think I changed cooling my personal computers from air to water way before Porsche did their cars :D

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I might have made it a bit too subtle the first time but for €25k, it's serious metal (sorry fibreglass). You'll never meet another one on the road and it's one of the rawest, purest drivers cars you can get but the KY reg may be a bridge too far.

Think the shocking build quality and all round lack of reliability may be the bridge that's too far. Ugly, ugly cars - performance is ok, but that's as far as it goes. Unless you're a really self conscious man named Trevor I can't see why anyone would take one of these over an M3/Cayman/911/etc.

OP is coming from a M3 right? Why would he go from a M3 to a TVR?!

Shane732 wrote: »
    because they're mental!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Always love your wisdom posts G-TT :)

I'm gonna take a walk over to Gilsons in the morning as I work close by and I'll have a look, he mentioned a 2007:mad: Cayman over the phone for mid 30s and they've that nice silver Boxster (probably the only soft top I'd ever buy).

07 cayman for mid 30s, really :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Shane732 wrote: »

Because the performance of most other cars on the road would probably bore a former M3 driver.

07 cayman for mid 30s, really :eek:

Dunno why there's an angry face beside 2007, I was typing on the phone when I posted.

I think while I look for a car something like this might have to be my daily driver..
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1701433.htm
    1701433-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Mark I can understand why you sold the m3 to UPGRADE to a 911 or something but seems like you're downgrading in terms of the budget and cars mentioned. So unfortunately i think anything nother than a 911 will be a serious disappointment, coming from an m3.

Maybe an older 911 as some other posters have mentioned? I'd go over to the UK if i were you, i know it's time consuming but you'd have so much better choice and at the end of the day €35k is still alot of money.

Best of luck with your search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

• Advertisement

Drove a Boxster S (986) this morning. I know they handle well, I know they're quick.. but I felt ghey. I felt like I was in a car that was just too small for me.

One I can scratch off the list anyway.

but I felt ghey

Why, was it pink or something? :rolleyes:

Anyway - http://www.oph.ie/cms/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pID=805

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Something like that Brera 3.2 4wd that's gone missing perhaps, depreciation yada yada not a petrol head until ya own an Alfa etc

Why, was it pink or something? :rolleyes:

Anyway - http://www.oph.ie/cms/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pID=805

Yeh and it had fluffy dice too.

Don't want an auto box if it's a Porsche.

There was a red Brera where I was looking at the Boxster but I was in a rush so didn't get a look at it but it looked well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

• Advertisement
Advertisement