Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford transit (front or rear wheel drive)

Options
  • 20-05-2010 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hello,

Is there anyway to tell if a transit is driven by the front or rear wheels by the number on the door ie. 90T300? Just wondering so I can narrow my search.

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Hello,

Is there anyway to tell if a transit is driven by the front or rear wheels by the number on the door ie. 90T300? Just wondering so I can narrow my search.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think there is any way to tell from the door, but if you can narrow down the years I should be able to give a guide.

In the current model (2007 onwards)
    The 260 - 300 are mainly FWD
    330 - 350 are mainly RWD

There are some exceptions, but it usually the higher the GVW (330, 350) etc, the more likely it is to be RWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

0608or_05_z+2005_ford_f_150+rear_differential.jpg if it has something like this underneath the rear wheels its rwd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

As a rule I wouldn't out a front wheel drive Transit on the forecourt, except for a SWB 260. T300's are a soft van , 280/350 rear wheel drive is the way to go. Just watch out on 280's because they can be front or rear wheel drive depending on spec ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Just look underneath for the driveshaft running to the back axle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

Nice one lads, And thanks for the photo of the Diff!! I just wondered if the numbers on the door where anything to go by. Looking at a 2002-2005 mid roof, long wheel base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Just a note on RWD transits, they're inclined to spin a lot on anything slippy if you've got a very light load. During last winter I knew of a number of transit drivers who kept getting stuck due to the slippy conditions and little or no weight in the back. RWD is great if you have the weight but FWD drive is better if you don't. Just something to consider !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Just a note on RWD transits, they're inclined to spin a lot on anything slippy if you've got a very light load. During last winter I knew of a number of transit drivers who kept getting stuck due to the slippy conditions and little or no weight in the back. RWD is great if you have the weight but FWD drive is better if you don't. Just something to consider !! :)

All Rwd vans are like that, throw your tool boxes, gravel, etc over the back wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

cian1500ww wrote: »

Good point, but less stress on the front wheels, as they say front for sterring and rear for drive (unless your sideways;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1 elipsoid84

Hi, I know I am digging out an old thread, but I have a question. How much weight needs to be above the rear wheels until a RWD is considered on par with FWD in terms of traction on wet grass/mud?
    Would 500 - 600 kgs of load be enough?
    Thanks!

Advertisement