Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30kph in the city centre

Options
  • 20-05-2010 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I guess when Dublin got it, it was only a matter of time, but it seems to be definitely on the cards now (3rd point in table).

I rarely venture into town these days - parking charges alone are crippling - but anytime I do go in, I can't see how a speed limit would make much difference (maybe along the south mall?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Totally pointless - 45k down the drain.

You can rarley drive at 30kp at the moment and at the imes when you can actually drive 50kph there are f**k all cyclists and pedestrians around - well only the drunk ones. Can you imagine crawling around in a taxi at 30kph at 3am. Pointless waste of money.

They should give me the cash I have a fantastic new idea - don't want to give too much away here on the internet but lets just say it involves some gold coins and some magic beans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Fairly pointless alright, current system works perfectly as it unless your idea of a night out
    is starting a fight with your own reflection and puking outside daunt square

Won't be surprised either to see guards parked up with a radar trap on patrick street and the south mall,
    that and older people well outside the planned zone doing 30kph just in case

Another reason to not bother heading into the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it'll be interesting to see cyclists overtaking cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

How many speed related accidents are there in the City Center? None id imagine. You never hear of pedestrians being hit either. Just another stupid decision by the Government to look as if they are doing something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Remove all private vehicles (with exceptions for commercial vans, public transport & emergency vehicles) from the city centre. Patrick St is ruined with the congestion on it and Plunkett St especially has half the potential it could have with the ugly road running through it, ditto Grand Parade.

• Advertisement

Remove all private vehicles (with exceptions for commercial vans, public transport & emergency vehicles) from the city centre. Patrick St is ruined with the congestion on it and Plunkett St especially has half the potential it could have with the ugly road running through it, ditto Grand Parade.

+1 on Patricks St and Oliver Plunkett St.

There are so many other alternative routes that can be taken to avoid these streets. Oliver Plunkett St is pedestrian only during the day.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Oliver Plunkett St is pedestrian only during the day.

But the ugly road is still there creating an informal barrier between pavement and road. Get rid of it completely!. The City centre island would be transformed by getting rid of private cars, alas sectional interests such as the CBA would get their knickers in a twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Think the only pedestrian death I can remember on Patrick Street was back in either late 06' or early 07',
    when an old lady got squashed by an unmarked dumper truck driven by two lads who did a runner

the only common pedestrian accidents are on oliver plunkett street around 2am with the drunken twats coming out of the brog and the ratwalk

murphym7 wrote: »

You can rarley drive at 30kp at the moment and at the imes when you can actually drive 50kph there are f**k all cyclists and pedestrians around - well only the drunk ones. Can you imagine crawling around in a taxi at 30kph at 3am. Pointless waste of money.

Quite a few of the taxi drivers show a blatant disregard for other road users and the rules of the road anyway so no doubt they won't be sticking to the 30kph limit when it comes in. Anyone doing a U turn on Patrick Street or Grand Parade over a continuous white line should be banned from driving, also they are using streets as unofficial taxi ranks now, outside Eddie Rockets on Fri, Sat night for example, muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Simple solution to combat this ridiculous rule - any individual who receives a speeding fine / penalty points, just ignore it. I know i would, and if i was hauled in front of court i'd ignore it too. If enough people do this, the Minsister for Transport will soon get the message. The idiots really are running the asylum.

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    Simple solution to combat this ridiculous rule - any individual who receives a speeding fine / penalty points, just ignore it. I know i would, and if i was hauled in front of court i'd ignore it too. If enough people do this, the Minsister for Transport will soon get the message. The idiots really are running the asylum.

And you'll end up with a criminal record! Minister for transport cant take that away from you. Even if your in the right if your called for court your called for court. Not going means your issued with a warrant for your arrest.

Silly suggestion if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Hogzy wrote: »
    And you'll end up with a criminal record! Minister for transport cant take that away from you. Even if your in the right if your called for court your called for court. Not going means your issued with a warrant for your arrest.
    Exactly! And if enough people displayed civil disobedience like that and were eventually imprisoned for doing 40 kph in a 30 kph zone, what do you think the public reaction would be??? Not very good i would imagine, and the government would back down, with those people's clean record intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Shaneboyle

How could it cost €45,000 for a few signs?

Exactly! And if enough people displayed civil disobedience like that and were eventually imprisoned for doing 40 kph in a 30 kph zone, what do you think the public reaction would be??? Not very good i would imagine, and the government would back down, with those people's clean record intact.

Public reaction?

I imagine the publics reaction to a speeding richboy culchie student who thinks the rules don't apply to him would be one of glee and righteouesness when they see the ignoramus sent down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Total fantasy - to think that the people of Cork (or anywhere) could get orgainsed enough to do what you are suggesting is silly in the extreme, people just could not be bothered.

Advertisement