Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterkenny Family event August Bank Holiday weekend.

Options
  • 20-05-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hello,

2 friends of mine are organising a medieval fair during the august bank holiday weekend. It is promised to be excellent craic for people off all ages! If you are interested in securing a ticket or would like more info, please send me a PM and I will put you in touch with the organisers.

Here's the specs!

Date: Sunday, August 1, 2010
    Time: 11:00am - 6:00pm
    Street: just off the Manorcunningham roundabout
    City/Town: Letterkenny, Ireland

Admission
    €10 for Adults
    Kids go free

to buy a ticket please contact us.

Admission fee includes all of the following:

Parking

Events
    ·Battle Reenactment
    ·Archery Demonstrations
    ·One-on-One Fighting Demonstrations
    ·Medieval History Talk
    ·Catapult Demonstration
    ·Mini Ceili with Traditional Music
    ·Casual Medieval Magic

Workshops
    ·Children and Adults Sword Fighting Lessons
    ·Drumming Workshop
    ·Bagpipe Workshop
    ·Highland Dance Workshop
    ·Wattle & Daub Medieval Building

Activities
    ·Archery
    ·Mini Catapults
    ·BB Gun Range
    ·Horseshoe Throwing

Craft Displays
    ·Various Medieval Crafts

Static Displays
    ·Forge
    ·Medieval Building Site
    ·Wooden Outpost Fort
    ·Stocks
    ·Kids Cage

Medieval Costume Competition
    Gents prize - Long Sword worth €400
    Ladies prize - Ladies Silver Headband worth €200
    Kids prize - Handmade Archery Set worth €250

more to be confirmed

29232_125757794117523_100000499097745_275192_6411801_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Um! Where is Corkey street in L'kenny?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Madam wrote: »
    Um! Where is Corkey street in L'kenny?:)

just updated location info there with a map!

Oh I know where Corkey is(cousin lives there) but it's more that 5 or six miles outside L'Kenny. Just having a bit of fun with you there, hope it's a good day for it:)

Oh I know where Corkey is(cousin lives there) but it's more that 5 or six miles outside L'Kenny. Just having a bit of fun with you there, hope it's a good day for it:)

fair enough. tbh, i just copied this from the facebook event that they set up for it. I'm in Galway so havent a clue where exactly it is:o

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its certainly no more than 5 miles from Letterkenny.

• Advertisement

You can see Pluck here at the centre of the map.

muffler wrote: »
    Its certainly no more than 5 miles from Letterkenny.

Picky picky! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 35 FJFF

Think i'll have to get tickets for this one, and borrow an English friends re-enactment gear for it. Wouldn't mind a prize :P

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

sounds like fun, will there be foaming tankards of ale and roast meat available? (or just food and refreshments even?)

• Advertisement

There will be food and drink available for purchase. Not of the alcoholic variety I'm afraid. The insurers deem this too dangerous with there being weapons present.

Was asked to give a quick upate as the location for this has changed to accomodate more people. Please see http://www.eireannedge.ie/MedievalFair1810.html for more information and also to contact the organisation for tickets.

Date:Sunday, August 1, 2010
    Time:11:00am - 6:00pm
    Street:near the Dry Arch Roundabout
    City/Town:Letterkenny, Ireland

29482_129035417123094_100000499097745_293322_4689191_n.jpg

Tickets are available for this now. Please keep an eye on http://www.eireannedge.ie/index.html for up to date info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Have to just throw in my support too, I know the couple organising this as well and they're both very talented and I'm amazed how much they put together in such a short time.
    I don't think I can make it myself and I'm gutted but I really would urge people to go if they can, really should be a brilliant day!

star-pants wrote: »
    I don't think I can make it myself and I'm gutted
    It's OK. You can buy me a beer some other time maybe ;)

This is a message from the organisers: To avoid any further confusion here now the location of our Medieval Fair on the 1. August. The event is held at the Bonagee Showgrounds just outside Letterkenny.

We have just updated our website and taken off the link to the ebay page for our online tickets. If you however are still intending to buy them, let us know and we'll see what we can do

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Hey just a quick throw out there, If anyone is interesting in taking part in this as extras orin fights or anything they can send me a PM and i'll forward on my mates number who is helping organise it. And before people ask I was gonna do it but sadly prior engagements prevent me :(

On this weekend folks! C'mon down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

looking forward to heading down for the craic! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 centurionmk3

This would in my opinion be the worst attempt at a medieval event I've ever encountered. €10 admission for what; there were only a few things even relevant to the Medieval period and non of them where Irish. the only Irish element was a very friendly lady playing the Violin.

A shield, Sword, camo shorts and Nike runners don't constitute medieval garb anywhere. Nothing at the show had any relevance to a fair or camp. Considering the lofty statements and blustering in the press about living history and groups who do this and that, which was evidently now shown to be total BS. 'Never talk the talk if you can't walk the walk'.

Go see the proper events; on-line links:- Montague's, ,IrishArms , Claiomh these people are proper Living history groups not this rubbish. I can't say I know the people organising the event but it was pretty bad.

I think who ever funded this got a real bad deal. But this is not the first event this crowd have organised, I've been to two others 'Glenamaquin' it was the same even bordering on being anti 'Native's' Irish (their phrase not mine).

Advice don't attend Teweksbury you'll be laughed out of it.

Signed Annoyed and embarrassed for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

it was an early attempt. cut them some slack. the battle was well done and some of the stalls were pretty good. ok it wasn't worth a tenner but sure its only a tenner :rolleyes:
    i hope they do something like this again in the future, practice makes perfect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 centurionmk3

Your missing the point, other people do this for a living and have spent years building it up to a professional level and then this happens putting the whole scene back 20 years.

They have been offered help and refused it (quite rudely as well), because they know everything and everyone else is thick so this is not a valid excuse. This is not an early attempt as they have done three events already so when is it time to do it right after the tenth time. As it is most Irish groups are aware of what is going on in Donegal and are laughing their socks off at it as we speak it is all around the network as we speak...

I attempted to defend the event because its a Donegal event, I was extremely disappointed. No development has been made since any of the Glenamaquin events, no research into anything historical has happened and those performing could not even discus what they were doing, they had no idea what their role was or the object of the event.

This makes a whole mockery of living history in this country.

the annoying thing is there is potential for a good historical event but this requires work planning and an acceptance of limitations of participating groups. You cannot portrait knights without horses, neither can you portrait a camp without tents or women or children. I believe it should be done right or as close as possible anyway but too much was said in the papers in my opinion too much blustering, puffing and blowing.

Advertisement