Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware - Teklon Gold

Options
  • 20-05-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

i went to a tackle shop to buy a line for some salmon fishing. normally i use maxima 15 but the shop had not got any and i was offered an alternative that was supposed to be better than maxima. reluctantly i purchased this stuff and its called Teklon Gold, made by Grauvell. After using it i think It should be called Teklon Sh1t as it is the worst stuff i have ever used 10.6kg breaking strain which is about 22lbs and i would say this puke has the breaking strain of 4 or 5 lbs maxima. it is completely useless so all salmon anglers stay away from this stuff, as for the guy who sold it to me i will be having a word in person with him, actually i will take the line off and send back to the shop.........be warned dont buy Teklon Gold.........its worse than thread..........:mad::mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

it's a low diameter high strength superfine line .....
    That would make it critical as to knot types used.
    Are you using the Grinner or Uni knots recommended for such lines?

Also, it would have a poor impact resistence, so going up a size or two would be necessary when replacing a stretchier mono line.

You could have got a bad batch, but I think these are more rare than the trade admits.
    Also you might be comparing it to a line that is rated "under strength", in other words a 10lb line labelled 8lbs so as to appear stronger in use. This misuse of labelling is rife in the fishing line business. And I use Maxima!

Did you try wrapping around a piece of wood and adding weights, or pulling the other end with a scales, and no knots in the line? The result of eg 3 tests to break might be of interest.

Good information on lines is very had to get. I usually test mine immediately I have a failure for any reason, or of a knot breaks while tightening.

Here are two links that attempt to inform:
    http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontestpg2.html
    http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

Two items come across clearly, the crud knotted strength of fluorocarbon lines, whereby their superior strength:diameter to mono is lost when a knot is made, and the fiction that flouro is low stretch.
    Not so clear the makers playing around with optimistic or pessimistic labels, you have to read between the lines. (not a joke!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

it just breaks in your hands without any knots!!!!.....flimsy twisty rubbish....rotten 6lb maxima is stronger than that stuff.......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

it just breaks in your hands without any knots!!!!.....flimsy twisty rubbish....rotten 6lb maxima is stronger than that stuff.......
    Sounds faulty. Possibly prolonged exposure to UV light in a shop window?

Weird since that particular make of line is popular with sea anglers, and they use their stuff hard.

Advertisement