Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Anyone but the French" t-shirts. British tabloids stoking anti-French sentiment.

• 20-05-2010 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

Apparently, The Sun is now promoting an 'Anyone but the French' campaign and selling t-shirts with this on it. There were Irish and French people ringing in to that Liveline radio show giving out about it when I was in the car yesterday.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/liveplayer2_av.html?1_real,http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/radio/radio1.smil,real,

Where do these arseholes individuals get off? The idea that the most rightwing anti-Irish media in the world, British tabloids, are now using the Ireland-France soccer game as a means to stoke up anti-French opinion in Ireland is surely breaching some laws on incitement to hatred.

It's all part of the same europhobic British nationalist worldview of these people; any opportunity they have to attack the EU, the Euro, the French and anything else that clashes with their cesspit world they'll do. Now, gallingly, they are portraying themselves as defenders of Ireland! With friends like these ....

My question is obvious and, in the spirit of The Sun's campaign, is really a political one. In the light of this campaign, who do you support: France or England?

I'm strongly pro-France and think the EU is the best thing to have happened to Irish society. It has modernised this society beyond belief and opened us up to influences beyond Britain. The way the media has gone on about that soccer match you might get the impression that Irish people are anti-French. I have yet to meet a single Irish person who does not have a generally positive view of the French.

Who do you support: France or England/Britain? 135 votes

France (pro-EU)
    0%
    England/Britain (anti-EU)
    100%
    StephengandalfD-GenerateSimithe_sycoCrashjoolsveerjacksonflamomahaidBlistermanmagick[Deleted User]nxbyveromdwjpgPompey MagnusSeiferPonsterDavey DevilmonkeyfudgeErinGoBrathenda1 135 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I love France, the country, and French people and culture.

However, I'm going to be cheering on all their opposition in this world cup, because when it comes to football I'm bitter and vindictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

England to trounce France in the semis only to be hammered in the final. The build up and hope and all the crushing disappointment will be delicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I won't be paying the slightest bit of attention to the French at the World Cup tbh. It's just a nonsense marketing ploy in fairness. Won't be shouting for England or France.

EDIT: Poll is ridiculous. Are we talking World Cup here or politics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Where's the neither option??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I love France, the country, and French people and culture.

However, I'm going to be cheering on all their opposition in this world cup, because when it comes to football I'm bitter and vindictive.

Fair enough. But the media campaign is about a lot more than a sport. And it seems few if any media outlets are actively pro-EU these days.

Starting an anti-French campaign is using this country to advance the long-standing political agenda of the rightwing British press.

Aside from that, this country receives a huge number of French tourists each year.

• Advertisement

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Where's the neither option??

That option will be found on the thread which is concerned about that view.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Where's the "fu*k them both" option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Bit of a false dichotomy there OP, non?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Well, for one thing not a single person in France would give a flying **** what anybody in Ireland wore so this is purely about Murdoch marketing trash to idiots, which is no departure from the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Dionysus wrote: »
    Fair enough. But the media campaign is about a lot more than a sport. And it seems few if any media outlets are actively pro-EU these days.

Starting an anti-French campaign is using this country to advance the long-standing political agenda of the rightwing British press.

Aside from that, this country receives a huge number of French tourists each year.

I won't be supporting any rupert murdoch sponsored campaign, or joining facebook groups. I'll just be exercising a little personal schaudenfreude.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    EDIT: Poll is ridiculous. Are we talking World Cup here or politics?

Not ridiculous at all. As I said in the OP: 'My question is obvious and, in the spirit of The Sun's campaign, is really a political one'

Hence (pro-EU) and (anti-EU).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

How about the option for develop a sense of humour - get over it...

England v France has been around for ages, no one takes it that seriously.

Would be exactly in Scotland/Wales - anyone but England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

wheres the atarti jaguar option?

This place is gone to the dogs I SWEAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Must be time for me to get my "Murdoch is a Wanker" t-shirt out again.

He's just a jumped up Aussie.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Bit of a false dichotomy there OP, non?

I don't think so at all. I couldn't care less about a soccer match, but I do mind when these tabloids project their anti-EU political views into a campaign against one of the two leading EU states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Henry's goal was worse than 800 years of oppression :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

people wearing anti French T shirts are arse holes whether the tabloids rags are behind it or not. Thierry Henry handled the ball and it was hard to take at the time but Damian Duff took a dive to win a penalty in 2002 world cup and we didn't complain. I've met many French who were embarassed about the incident but we have moved on now. Nobody died. I personally would like to see Holland win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I wouldnt support ANYTHING to do with that rag. Its like its being run by braindead monkeys. I dont blame France, or Henry, its the stupid referees fault.

I almost hope France win the cup now, just to rub the english noses in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

They can both f-off tbh.

I think I'll support New Zealand this time. Should be a laugh (even if they are going to lose every game 0-5).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The English are notoriously xenophobic. They're afraid of the French, the Germans, the Italians. It betrays their deep-seated inferiority complex. Disappointingly, Irish people (particularly soccer fans) ape this attitude.

On a side note, is it coincidence that the word "racist" is an English one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Well firstly I think the French public reaction the whole Henrygate was fantastic, I think we looked like sore losers (asking to be an extra team in the world cup). I don't have any resentment against France as a team (except Thierry!) or nation. Why aren't we focussing our bitterness towards Platini/Blatter for modern technology to eradicate this type of play?

Secondly, if France meet the English in the WC? I'll be cheering on Les Blues!

Would have been grerat to be at the WC again but sin e an saol!

As Betrie Ahern once said (about the Englsih) " I hope they do well, but don't know if I could stomach them winning it"

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Henry's goal was worse than 800 years of oppression :D

That was the longest game in history and the referees were all sh1t.:(

Not ridiculous at all. As I said in the OP: 'My question is obvious and, in the spirit of The Sun's campaign, is really a political one' Hence (pro-EU) and (anti-EU).

In fairness if we'd been knocked out under the same circumstances by any non-EU country the t-shirts would still be promoted by rags. They appeal to a certain mindset, it's irrelevant what country they target tbh. Could as easily been Russia for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I don't think so at all. I couldn't care less about a soccer match, but I do mind when these tabloids project their anti-EU political views into a campaign against one of the two leading EU states.
    I and many others compartmentalise football and treat it as a completely non-political issue. I'd boo the English or the French as a I would a pantomime villian; it adds a little fun to the proceedings, especially as we won't be represented by our own nation.

I think the t-shirts are ludicrous by the way, and anyone who wears them is a classless whore.

Well, for one thing not a single person in France would give a flying **** what anybody in Ireland wore so this is purely about Murdoch marketing trash to idiots, which is no departure from the norm.

Oddly enough a single person from France was very emotional about these t-shirts on yesterday's radio. If the French started a similar anti-Irish campaign, how many Irish people would be keen to visit their country when they found out about anti-Irish hostility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Again all the non-football fans come on a bandwagon. It is strictly a football sentiment. They don't want them to win the World Cup. Nobody in their right mind could want to piss France off ahead of any other country. The French were one of our main allies in history.

They should have had Thierry Henry on the t-shirt. That was their mistake but The Sun will hardly ever do the right thing. This is pure publicity and all the complainers are giving them the publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

This is bull****. Absolute crap.
    http://www.keithruffles.com/2010/02/police-fears-over-anyone-but-england-t.html
    Didn't read this exactly, but its the story I was looking for.

So the british are allowed promote the selling of anti french t shirts, but its racist to promote anti england?

F**k off would you, seriously

If the French started a similar anti-Irish campaign, how many Irish people would be keen to visit their country when they found out about anti-Irish hostility?

The only one dragging it down to a level of hositility is you. I have French family and have been giving them a slagging ever since about cheering on anyone they come up against. They take it for what it is, a bit of a slagging. It's a tabloid doing what tabloids do best, exploiting something to make money.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Oddly enough a single person from France was very emotional about these t-shirts on yesterday's radio.

Different prepositions makes it a different proposition. I didn't consider French people in Ireland (and the very easily offended).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Thepones

This is typical tabloid sh**e.
    I work with a load of French people, they were all sympathetic of the result of the match. It was only a football match though. I am a huge football fan (was at first leg in Croker) and even if that goal was disallowed we were not guarenteed to win.

As Keano said "Get over it"

This is trying to be a "Who do you hate more / less" thing. Pointless. waste of time. Aimed at mindless idiots. football, as someone else mentioned, is seperate to politics so dont be bringing crap like this into it.....

Thepones wrote: »
    As Keano said "Get over it"

Oh the same Keano the walked out on his country cause things weren't being done his way.

The same Keano that came off the pitch fuming when Ireland gave away a 2-0 lead in Amsterdam in 2000.

Yeah he's a great man when it comes to "get over it".

The only one dragging it down to a level of hositility is you.

Listen to the radio clipping first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Thepones

Uh oh,

I have started something here

*braces for Keano debate.....*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

The Sun newspaper..........

An eejits paradise.

Hundreds killed in disaster but here is a pair of tits..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Uh oh,

You had to bring his name into it!

• Advertisement

davrho wrote: »
    The Sun newspaper..........

An eejits paradise.

Hundreds killed in disaster but here is a pair of tits..................

Are Jedward promoting something? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Those T-shirts have been on sale in Penneys for months. You can get one now there if you want OP ;)

Listen to the radio clipping first.

Joe Duffy? A couple of callers................. yawn. Like I've said I have had this fun with French people, I slag them about getting beaten, they slag me about Ireland not even being there etc etc. Good natured, having-a-laugh, good sportsmanship banter. The idea that it would put French tourists off coming here is laughable. I think you underestimate the French knack for not giving a toss what people think of them.

This tabloid nonsense is just trying to cash in on that.

You're the one creating some sort of pro-EU anti-EU debate out of this. If it had been Russia and not France do you think the tabloids would refrain from doing the very same thing/t-shirts? I don't. That's the nature of their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was at the game in Paris.

Still in sense getting over it just because I would went to South Africa if we got there.

But this type of thing makes us look stupid and well idiots

I remember after the game when Irish players came over to appluad the Irish fans after the game a lot of French supporters stayed behind came over near our end and applauded us. But people did not see it. Was nice touch by them.

Look if Robbie Keane or whoever had done same thing he be hero in our eyes.

My problem lies with FIFA and the referee who I think had Irish player handled the ball would been disallowed and goal not given.

Time move on look forward to Euro 2012 campaign and not stay in dark ages

This tabloid nonsense is just trying to cash in on that.

You're the one creating some sort of pro-EU anti-EU debate out of this. If it had been Russia and not France do you think the tabloids would refrain from doing the very same thing/t-shirts? I don't. That's the nature of their game.

You're being naive here about the overtly political nature of these papers. As has already been mentioned, if they wanted to use your man's handball they could have had a campaign against him. Unsurprisingly, they decided to make a campaign against the entire nation of France and blend their political anti-France/EU viewpoints with it.

There is a world of political difference between the campaign they could have done and the campaign they are doing. The former would be surprising; the latter is predictably political.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Wanting France to lose has absolutely nothing to do with the sun and everything to do with wanting to see some hot, sweaty justice delivered to a bunch of cheating *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

To hell with everybody, really. Doesn't matter what flag your parents fucked under. We, as a species, are a complete mess.

You're being naive here about the overtly political nature of these papers. As has already been mentioned, if they wanted to use your man's handball they could have had a campaign against him. Unsurprisingly, they decided to make a campaign against the entire nation of France and blend their political anti-France/EU viewpoints with it...

Just answer the question, if it had been Russia, Greece, Slovenia etc do you think these t-shirts with Anybody But Slovenia/Whoever....would not exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Uh oh,

Yes, he should never have left Liverpool:pac:

Just answer the question, if it had been Russia, Greece, Slovenia etc do you think these t-shirts with Anybody But Slovenia/Whoever....would not exist?

No, obviously they wouldn't. They would be pointless because they wouldn't be controversial. A British tabloid attacking France belongs to a uniquely British tradition, one which for some reason you appear to be in denial of.

No, obviously they wouldn't. They would be pointless because they wouldn't be controversial..

I think you are the one being naive about how tabloids operate and do what they do. They are not "attacking France" as some sort of anti-EU underhand campaign. They are riding the coat tails of Ireland's exit. They are making money. I am not denying the Brit tabloid euroscepticism but you're just reading way too much into this here tbh.

They would use bleedin' England if they had beaten us the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

I'm getting a france jersey for the world cup :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Lads it's a game of soccer, take your head out of your own arse if if bothers you.

Jesus you cant even have a laugh in Ireland anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Henry handled a ball, England plundered and pillaged us for 800 years! I know who I'll be supporting if they meet in South Africa!

Now where did I put my 'Fook Cromwell' t-shirt, I defo had it for the last World Cup.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If the French play the English in South Africa I hope the french hammer them (or better still, put them out on penalties). I hope every one else beats the french.
    Old hatreds Die Hard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement