Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You'd?

Options
  • 20-05-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Do you have a story you'd like to talk about?

On The Morning Show on TV3 this morning.

You'd = You would

I have no problem with amn't it is what the Irish use for am not.

But You'd? I don't think I have ever seen it written down like that before. And I don't think anyone really uses it.

You'd !!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

You'd want to read more! I've seen and and very, very often heard it used both for "you would" and "you had". I also like using multiple apostrophes like "I'd've", can't think if I've ever managed to fit a "you'd've" into writing or typed conversation though. :pac:
    EDIT: Also, I hate "amn't".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I'd
    You'd
    He'd
    She'd
    We'd
    They'd
    Us all'd

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

amacachi wrote: »
    You'd want to read more! I've seen and and very, very often heard it used both for "you would" and "you had". I also like using multiple apostrophes like "I'd've", can't think if I've ever managed to fit a "you'd've" into writing or typed conversation though. :pac:

Next they will be putting yous as in ye as in you.

I have heard it used but often thought that was just a merging of spoken words which I have no problem with, and I have also tried the I'd've only to realize that it would be wrong to write down.

We'd've had more of your stories on the show only you'd too much to drink and you'd've made an ass of yourself on the show.

you'd m8t as well tlk n txt spk.
    I'd
    You'd
    He'd
    She'd
    We'd
    They'd
    Us all'd

Taking it too far in terms of signage. no?

EDIT: Also, I hate "amn't".

Why hate amn't if you love I'd've. You can go futher with amn't. I'mn't !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Elmo wrote: »
    Why hate amn't if you love I'd've. You can go futher with amn't. I'mn't !!!

I dunno, it just doesn't look right at all to me. I'm weird like that.

• Advertisement

I dunno, it just doesn't look right at all to me. I'm weird like that.

Well I have a problem with Gotten (It'sn't a word :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

My "Chambers" dictionary records "gotten" as a past participle of "get", and notes that it is current in Scots and American English, though it otherwise is archaic. I've seen less reliable sources state that it is used in Irish English as well.

It does survive generally in "ill-gotten". There's no doubt that it really is a word, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Well I have a problem with Gotten (It'sn't a word :rolleyes:)

You would have gotten away with too if it wasn't for that pesky nompere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

No he wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

No he wouldn't.

Surely that should have been "No he wouldn't've"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

No he'dn't've.

Dunjohn wrote: »
    No he'dn't've.

What if you can't pronounce your h's?

No 'e'dn't've.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I really hate amn't; it's not a word. Even as I write, there's a red line under it.

You'd and Gotten (mainly AmEng) are both perfectly correct although in British English Got is used more often nowadays. It wasn't the Americans that invented the word Gotten; it was used in Britain officially but through the years it changed to Got. I mean, we still say Forgotten on this side of the water.

And Elmo, if you've never seen the word you'd before, you really should read a book.
    I'd
    You'd
    He'd
    She'd
    We'd
    They'd
    Us all'd

You forgot Who'd;)

I do read. But now that I noticed it I have seen it everywhere. In the current book I am reading it is from a perspective of a character so I am letting the writer away with it.

Gotten however I really do dislike, I think it is down to the fact I once heard an American news reporter use it about 20 times in the report it just sounded stupid. Then I looked it up in a Dictionary and could not find the word under GOT.

I think however that You'd should not been used writing signs.

Do you have a problem with ain't?

The only times I'd expect to see "ain't" or "amn't" in text is when it's used to convey characterisation.

Compare "Honest gov, I ain't done nothin' wrong" with "Officer, I believe I've committed no crime" or "Here bud, I amn't here to give you grief" with "Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any trouble".

If I saw a printed sign in the park stating "Yous ain't allowed on the grass" I'd find it grating.

Gotten however I really do dislike...

I have to agree... I don't like gotten when used by non-Americans. It's the same thing with ain't. I think we're all watching too many American TV shows and films.... or should I have said movies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I regularly sing "It isn't necessarily so" and "You aren't anything but a hound dog" to remind myself of the superiority of our grammar over that of the Americans.

But then I realise that it doesn't mean a thing if it hasn't got that swing.

"Ain't no sunshine when she's gone."

So what's Bill Withers trying to say exactly? Double negative, so it should be...

The Sun shines when she's gone....... SO STAY AWAY!!!!

I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know............ I'm an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Finding "gotten" under "got" in a dictionary is always likely to be difficult. Both of them are forms of "get", and that needs to be the starting point. Don't look under the wrong version of "get" though.

I've never been called pesky before. I have been called lots of things that aren't allowed on this site, but that's a new one. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Don't forget the perennial Hiberno-English "Amn't I not" :)

• Advertisement

Yakuza wrote: »
    Don't forget the perennial Hiberno-English "Amn't I not" :)

He didn't forget it. He mentioned it in the first post.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Amn't was mentioned, yes, but not the particularly Irish (or is Dublin-only?) "Amn't I not?" - a whole new level of depravity.
    To wit:
    "Are ye cummin, Shard'n"
    "Jayz yes, I am, amn't I not".

Advertisement