Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Well Tempered Clavier on CD

Options
  • 20-05-2010 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

My son is working his way through this and I was wondering what would be a good accompanying CD. Is there such as thing as a Wiener Urtext CD, excuse my obvious ignorance!

Edit: He is fascinated by early instruments, especially the harpsichord, even though he's never played one. So, was thinking of getting this also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Angela Hewitt, Glenn Gould. (Can't see Book 2 by Gould there, but it's as good.) Gould's performances are eccentric, but addictive. Hewitt's more sober. And I know I'm forgetting someone important.

The Urtext is just the source text, it means that they've tried to recreate the originals as faithfully as possible (a harder job than it sounds). Pretty much all performers will play from the Urtext, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭aldark

I think Hewitt's is on a modern piano - might not suit if you're looking for the harpsichord sound. Gould is a bit idiosyncratic, definitely not urtext. Recommend Gilbert - on Archiv - sound is great. The Belder isn't bad either (I have it on the the brilliant records complete bach edition) His teacher was bob van asperen who is highly regarded.
    Al.

aldark wrote: »
    I think Hewitt's is on a modern piano - might not suit if you're looking for the harpsichord sound. Gould is a bit idiosyncratic, definitely not urtext. Recommend Gilbert - on Archiv - sound is great. The Belder isn't bad either (I have it on the the brilliant records complete bach edition) His teacher was bob van asperen who is highly regarded.
    Al.

Wonder if you could help me, actually - someone recommended a Bach pianist to me a few years back. Can't remember the name, just that it was a woman pianist, and I think she recorded the WTC in the 1950s or '60s.

Not a lot to go on, I know, but I really do want to hear that recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

Clinker wrote: »

I think that's her - thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement