Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds in attic

Options
  • 20-05-2010 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

How do i get rid of birds in the roof. My house has a tile roof and the brids have got in under the tile. I dont think they are in the attic but between the tile and the felt.

It is above my kids' bedroom and it is causing them distress. any solutions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It is probably House Sparrows if between the tile and the felt. Not a lot you can legally do if nesting. Not a lot should be done anyway, as it's just birds nesting. I have at least 12 House Sparrow nests in our bungalow. We hear them scurry along the guttering but I can't understand how you hear them in a bedroom. Can you check if they are in the attic proper? If they are they could be Starlings. If nests aren't finished you could block wherever they are getting into the attic. Not so easy for those under the tiles; although possible with a lot of work involving chicken wire! I honestly can't see how there is a problem for your children if birds are just nesting under the tiles. Maybe teach them about Nature and get them excited about having little birds nesting in your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

It is probably House Sparrows if between the tile and the felt. Not a lot you can legally do if nesting. Not a lot should be done anyway, as it's just birds nesting. I have at least 12 House Sparrow nests in our bungalow. We hear them scurry along the guttering but I can't understand how you hear them in a bedroom. Can you check if they are in the attic proper? If they are they could be Starlings. If nests aren't finished you could block wherever they are getting into the attic. Not so easy for those under the tiles; although possible with a lot of work involving chicken wire! I honestly can't see how there is a problem for your children if birds are just nesting under the tiles. Maybe teach them about Nature and get them excited about having little birds nesting in your house.

They are making noise until last light at night and from first light in the morning. There are a few young birds in there. In an ideal world it would be great to teach kids about nature but not when they are scared stiff of the noise and can't sleep.

My kids come before some common bird that is squatting.

They are making noise until last light at night and from first light in the morning. There are a few young birds in there. In an ideal world it would be great to teach kids about nature but not when they are scared stiff of the noise and can't sleep.

My kids come before some common bird that is squatting.

I can see where we're going with this by your reply. No mention of how you can here birds under Tiles when in a bedroom, or if the birds are actually in the attic. You just want rid of them! OK then. You can't while they are nesting. It is an offence to interfere with nesting birds. You will have to wait until all have fledged and then get a builder to look at the situation in advance of next year!

I don't know how my kids, and others grew, up so well adjusted having to put up with Nature around them!

I can see where we're going with this by your reply. No mention of how you can here birds under Tiles when in a bedroom, or if the birds are actually in the attic. You just want rid of them! OK then. You can't while they are nesting. It is an offence to interfere with nesting birds. You will have to wait until all have fledged and then get a builder to look at the situation in advance of next year!

I don't know how my kids, and others grew, up so well adjusted having to put up with Nature around them!

With the greatest respect, what do you mean when you state: "I can see where we're going with this by your reply."

My kids bedroom is upstairs, at a corner of the house. thereby making it close to the nesting area, other than that logic, I don't know - maybe they have megaphones or something.

Since you seem to be so at one with nature let me rephrase my question... how can I encourage the birds to leave my roof space.

And I am so glad that your kids are so well adjusted and have the ability to deal with new surroundings everyday. Perhaps you could just remember that others are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I can understand the nuisance issue. My cock is in a barn 40m from house and yet through triple glazed windows sometimes I feel like wringing his neck at 4am...:D

Back to issue in hand I can't add anything helpful. You may have to ride it out for the couple weeks and seek a solution to them preventing access in future.

What age are kids? If toddlers then there is no reasoning with them.

Would they agree with adventure in sleeping elsewhere for a while.

If older then maybe you can reason with them and they may get used to them. Ear plugs is probably not an option. Don't think I would have wore them when I was a little un

• Advertisement

All I meant was that you obviously didn't want to look into keeping the birds and adjusting to the situation. I looked for more detail which wasn't forthcoming simply in order to taper my reply.

Ok. In short there is very little you can do now to encourage them to leave. If they have nested they have committed major resources to the clutch and will not abandon easily. Putting up a House Sparrow terrace nestbox on an outside wall might encourage them to use it for the 2nd or 3rd clutch of the year. Yes, I'm afraid the bad news is, assuming we are talking about House Sparrows, that they nest in groups so more than one nest at a time and each pair may raise upto 3 broods each year. With any size of flock of House Sparrows nesting can be strung out over a much longer period than most birds as not all broods will fledge at the same time.This could go on until late August!

As I said, legally you can't do a lot now and I would honestly encourage you and your family to try and accept them.

Please let me know if they are House Sparrows. You should see and hear them around the garden.

All I meant was that you obviously didn't want to look into keeping the birds and adjusting to the situation. I looked for more detail which wasn't forthcoming simply in order to taper my reply.

Ok. In short there is very little you can do now to encourage them to leave. If they have nested they have committed major resources to the clutch and will not abandon easily. Putting up a House Sparrow terrace nestbox on an outside wall might encourage them to use it for the 2nd or 3rd clutch of the year. Yes, I'm afraid the bad news is, assuming we are talking about House Sparrows, that they nest in groups so more than one nest at a time and each pair may raise upto 3 broods each year. With any size of flock of House Sparrows nesting can be strung out over a much longer period than most birds as not all broods will fledge at the same time.This could go on until late August!

As I said, legally you can't do a lot now and I would honestly encourage you and your family to try and accept them.

Please let me know if they are House Sparrows. You should see and hear them around the garden.

i think it is more of a starling.... dark in colour - navy/black and somewhat speckled.

OK we are getting places. Starlings nest more on holes into the Attic/eaves. You should be able to see where they are getting in. You should also be able to see the nest. If it is just in the process of being built I don't think we'll jail you for blocking up the access hole at this stage. If eggs have been laid they will take about 12 days to hatch and 20 more to fledge. Then block up the access hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I have a nest of Starlings about 3 foot from my pillow in the same location as you and yes they move around and make noise and when they return with food the chicks go banana's but i dont mind them at all and i like waking up to them. my little girl likes them too and i tell her about the babies..she is 7 and has an old head on young shoulders but as far as i know starlings should be gone pretty soon. they only had one clutch last year any hoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Most phobias are learned, so your children will have less irrational fears if they see you taking a calm and reasonable line on this. The tone of your posts is a bit panicky (maybe I am misreading that), so be careful you are not giving the kids the impression these little birds are harmful or sinister.

If the young Starlings are that vocal they are probably well grown chicks and about to fledge. Our brood of Starlings are feathered up and will be gone in a week or so, and they usually don't lay a second clutch. So if you can leave them alone, they will probably be gone before the end of the month, and you will have nearly a year to sort out your soffit & fascia issues.

In the meantime, console yourself that the Starlings have to listen to the racket from your kids.

LostCovey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Leave them be, they will be gone soon..... A pair of jackdaws moved into my chimney three years ago. Haven't lit a fire since........

You may not have long to wait. Our Starlings fledged yeaterday!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Me too i have starlings nest every yr few feet from my bed and i put up with the racket as it only lasts a couple of weeks and then they are off for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Am I allowed to post in here?
    I know it is an old thread but it is the same issue.

Woken up this morning at about 5.30 to the sound of loud cawing. I went outside the back garden and I think it was a magpie making the racket.

Anyway, scared him off to let the children sleep and then about an hour later, loud as you like, bang bang bang up in the attic. Clearly some bird was tapping away at something up there.

Upon reading this thread, I am conscious of the time of year. I don't want to go up terrifying the birds, but the children will struggle to sleep with the racket if it happens again which it no doubt will.
    Are these visitors likely to go away anytime soon?

If I should start a new thread, let me know. :)

Edit: From speaking to some colleagues, what I may have heard was birds tapping at moss etc on roof to get at insects/ worms.
    I'll monitor!

Advertisement