Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Howard Webb will referee the Champions League final

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I actually never minded Webb that much. Thought he was the best of a bad bunch in terms of English refs, tbh. Unlike that sickly looking sonofabitch Mike Riley... He was some dose of misery to everyone that lad. And he's now the head of some referees board or something!!! Bloody hell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The English commentators will be creaming themselves..."English presence etc natural acheme of things blah blah blah"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Its probably about right when you consider that England was unable to provide a referee for the past five finals because of an English presence. Just looking over the past finals there and the English teams have a quite poor record:

5 finals and only 2 winners (one of them finals had to have an English winner!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

redout wrote: »
    Its probably about right when you consider that England was unable to provide a referee for the past five finals because of an English presence. Just looking over the past finals there and the English teams have a quite poor record:

Ah yeah but still, best league in the world mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Ah yeah but still, best league in the world mate.:rolleyes:

FYP.

Webb is probably not the worst, but I feel a Spanish ref might have been better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

redout wrote: »

I wouldn't so much focus on the 5 finals 2 winners bit. More the 4 separate teams in 5 finals between them. I wouldn't have thought any other league comes close to that in recent times.

I like Howard Webb as a referee, I think he's honest and tries to let games flow as best they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Iago wrote: »
    I like Howard Webb as a referee, I think he's honest and tries to let games flow as best they can.

Have to agree with this. He is definitely the best English referee at the moment. I never mind a game with him as the referee when Chelsea are involved, cos he's fairly hoenst and even-handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't like Howard Webb at all. I prefer him to an idiot that is easily fooled but he lets far too much go imo. I remember him not blowing in a Barca Champion's league game when Messi was hacked down and I mean hacked down nothing short of it. I remember him not booking C.Ronaldo when he kicked out at David Dunn at Old Trafford. I could go on but there is no need.

They should just have cloned Perluigi Collina and have him ref every game. Best referee ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

The English commentators will be creaming themselves..."English presence etc natural acheme of things blah blah blah"

Yea ..this time next week he will be Sir Howard Webb :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Mark Clattenberg is the best English ref around I reckon, besides when he went crazy for 2 weeks in the Liverpool and Everton game and the game after it as well I think but other than that he goes by fairly unnoticed which is what you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement