Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used car logistics......

Options
  • 20-05-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello all... First post here and just looking for any helpful input.

Living in Dublin. Spotted used car I'm interested in at dealers in Kerry. I'm wondering that if I was to travel to Kerry for a day, have a mechanic give the car a once over, and if I was interested and in a position to pay for car that day, is it too hopeful to think I'd be able to drive it back to Dublin that day rather than having to go down again, say a week later to collect it? Not sure how long the ownership transfer takes etc etc.

Any thoughts welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Living in Dublin. Spotted used car I'm interested in at dealers in Kerry. I'm wondering that if I was to travel to Kerry for a day, have a mechanic give the car a once over, and if I was interested and in a position to pay for car that day, is it too hopeful to think I'd be able to drive it back to Dublin that day rather than having to go down again, say a week later to collect it? Not sure how long the ownership transfer takes etc etc.

Any thoughts welcome!
    Dealer should be delighted to see a buyer with cash in hand ready to drive away. Changing the log book usually takes a few weeks, but there's no need to wait for it. Just be sure you're prepared to walk away if the car's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's possible to do. But you'd need to ring the garage before and ask what type of payment they will take.

If you are very interested in the car get the AA or similar to do an inspection before you head down, after agreeing with the garage that they can and the garage will hold the car for inspection. You may need to pay a deposit for this, make sure you have it in writing or recorded that the deposit is to hold the car pending inspection and is refundable if the inspection turns out bad.

Then all you'll need to do is get an insurance quote and ref number. Head down and if happy activate your insurance. You may loose your deposit if you go down and don't like the car, try and get an agreement that it's refundable if you aren't happy.

If the garage isn't happy with any of that then walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Any thoughts welcome!
    If you have the cash, and want the car, you could drive it away that day. Just inform your insurance company. However, if you are not sure about the car, call the dealer and ask if they would mind traveling a bit to meet you. Not half way but some of the didstance. I have done this before with a car in up the country. I called the seller and he got someone to meet me on the road to show the car. But it was agreed that the car would be taken back to the seller again after I saw it, on that instance.
    Organising a mechanic might not be so easy either. they only generally see what you or I would unless they can get it up on a hoist. Speak to the seller and see what they say. Make a few of the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ricekrispie

Thanks for all the quick replies and useful advice. Might aim to go down weekend after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Is this car rare or could you not get one closer...
    If this guy sees you willing to go so far he may not be willing to deal as he'll think you are less likely to walk away...literally walk away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Ricekrispie

No, car is a regular saloon but €1,000 cheaper than a model with a smaller engine in Dublin and also has a couple of thousand kms less on the odo. Hence the interest.... But yes conscious of the haggling element of this, and how to knock something off the price, especially since I won't be trading in and paying cash. I'm willing to walk away from it if needs be, even if I decide I want it, but would be a pity if that happened. Car has been for sale for quite a few weeks, so two sides to it I suppose: garage will want to sell, I'll want a discount. Not sure how much of a discount I should look for by paying cash... 10pc sound reasonable????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

OP any chance you saw it on a used car website. If so any chance of a link so us boardies can have a gander at it?

Advertisement