Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Tax Return - how to?

Options
  • 20-05-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I wanna do me own tax return

Was in Oz Sept - Dec 2009

Does anyone know how I can do it meself, and what the closing date is?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

You can wait another month and do it online. e-tax is piss easy but not out yet.
    if ya wanna do it now, ya'll have to do it on paper, ie print the forms and send them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

cool, whats the site to do it online?

what do I need for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

www.ato.gov.au

You need your TFN and your PAYG statement (Same as P60?) from each employer as far as I know. If you only had one employer it makes things easier. Ask them to email you PAYG if you're no longer in Aus.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,353 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What exactly is a PAYG statement.
    I have a detailed pay/tax statement etc but its not a PAYE. Would that do?

It's similar to your P60. It's issued at the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mellor wrote: »
    What exactly is a PAYG statement.
    I have a detailed pay/tax statement etc but its not a PAYE. Would that do?

When you end employment employer should give you a pink page PAYG payment summary - if not get in contact with them and ask them for one

i should look like : http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/n3447.pdf

OP - look here
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65942854&postcount=5
    follow the instructions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Whats the point of doing it online if you still need a copy of your PAYG statements from each employer? Is that information not prefilled in e-tax?

CiaranC wrote: »
    Whats the point of doing it online if you still need a copy of your PAYG statements from each employer? Is that information not prefilled in e-tax?

You can't prefill before the end of the year, so that won't work.

You don't do it 'online' anyway, you use their program, which will guide you through the form and tell you what you need to fill out and what you don't.

so if you make a mistake you can fix it rather than send it off, and be informed later.

You can only download the program and submit it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ciaran, ya need the PAYG statement coz it has info like how much tax ya paid, ur total earnings and stuff like that, which the tax program asks ya for.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Ciaran, ya need the PAYG statement coz it has info like how much tax ya paid, ur total earnings and stuff like that, which the tax program asks ya for.
    This confuses me. How does the tax office not already know how much tax I paid? I paid it to them didnt I? Reading the amounts off a piece of paper and typing it into a computer seems archaic

• Advertisement

This confuses me. How does the tax office not already know how much tax I paid? I paid it to them didnt I? Reading the amounts off a piece of paper and typing it into a computer seems archaic
    Did you? How did you pay it to them?

The more likely scenario is that one or more employers forwarded tax to the ATO on your behalf. The ATO needs you to confirm that this is the only income you received and what if any expenses or allowances you want to offset against your taxable income. Once you've filed a tax return it's black and white if they discover you've evaded tax.

They have not released eTax 2010 yet, so it won't prefill yet

what we are trying to say is you need to paper fill if applying for early tax relief (as 09-10 year is not over) so you will need to type it in, as etax 09 (current version) will only populate 08-09 details.

If you are returning tax after end of tax year, then you can use the prefill function (and submit via PC) - so you are correct, but just not yet.

The OP can claim early tax as he/she worked until Dec09 and has left the country (I assume)

hussey wrote: »
    They have not released eTax 2010 yet, so it won't prefill yet

what we are trying to say is you need to paper fill if applying for early tax relief (as 09-10 year is not over) so you will need to type it in, as etax 09 (current version) will only populate 08-09 details.

If you are returning tax after end of tax year, then you can use the prefill function (and submit via PC) - so you are correct, but just not yet.

The OP can claim early tax as he/she worked until Dec09 and has left the country (I assume)
    Ah thanks for clearing that up. I thought yous were saying that even after the tax year Id have to input all the information into their system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yea, this is a good topic as the tax year is almost up.
    Does EVERY have to submit a tax return?

Also I have heard that if you are in certain profession you get tax back on certain purchase eg. IT professional tax back on Broadband and a laptop!
    Is this open to a 457 visa holder or does one have to be on a PR.

Should be due a bit of tax back actually as I have only worked here since February! I presume this is the way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

jank wrote: »
    Yea, this is a good topic as the tax year is almost up.
    Does EVERY have to submit a tax return?

Also I have heard that if you are in certain profession you get tax back on certain purchase eg. IT professional tax back on Broadband and a laptop!
    Is this open to a 457 visa holder or does one have to be on a PR.

Should be due a bit of tax back actually as I have only worked here since February! I presume this is the way to go about it.

It's open to everyone Citizen, PR, WHV & 457.

Also open to those who are undocumented ie. overstayed their WHV as long as you paid tax you can still claim a rebate.

Jank you can ony claim items that are deemed tools of trade so if you worked in IT your good to rebate the cost of laptop although that rebate normally would be 85% spread over 3 years. 40% 1st, 30% 2nd and 15% 3rd

Some people try to take the piss but if you do your just asking for an audit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Cool! Nah I dont really have anything to get a rebate against at the moment but sure will think about it next year.

Is there a list of these items somewhere where certain professions can claim their rebates back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

What happens if you dont file a tax return?

My manager from Oz, the great professional she is, has ignored all my contact in regards to my final tax cert / oz equiv to the P45

I'm due about $120

Taxback said they'll do it, but that's their fee, so i'd get nothin. In that case im not bothered

and I DEFO do not plan to ever return there to work, if at all

Pain in my arse with this tax system already. E-tax doesnt recognise me from my info, and none of my employers have provided PAYG statements.

Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

trying to work through this etax, jees the irish revenue online service is much more user friendly.

anyways, i am at the medicare part. i am in oz on a whv so i believe i dont have to pay for the medicare levy? when trying to out out on etax it says i need proof of ineligabilty for medicare. has anyone any experience with this? will the visa confirmation email i got from immigration suffice?

any advice greatly appreciated.

lg123 wrote: »
    trying to work through this etax, jees the irish revenue online service is much more user friendly.

anyways, i am at the medicare part. i am in oz on a whv so i believe i dont have to pay for the medicare levy? when trying to out out on etax it says i need proof of ineligabilty for medicare. has anyone any experience with this? will the visa confirmation email i got from immigration suffice?

any advice greatly appreciated.

No you send off for it, you don't actually need to send off the proof for it, you just need it if they ask. Best to lodge your application then send off for your proof here.

I send in my tax online, without the form, and after I sent off for the cert in case I was asked

• Advertisement

they dont make things easy, certified copies of each used page of my passport. if i have to pay the cops for that it might end up costing me more than just paying the levy.

lg123 wrote: »
    they dont make things easy, certified copies of each used page of my passport. if i have to pay the cops for that it might end up costing me more than just paying the levy.

You don't have to pay, you can get them certified by some pharmacists.
    Here is the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

hussey wrote: »
    You don't have to pay, you can get them certified by some pharmacists.
    Here is the list.
    or your bank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I tried the e-tax thing, didnt work though, it said my personal info didnt match their details. ans the "shared secret information' what ever the hell that is, didnt work either.
    so i just printed it off and im gonna send it in by post. a lot easier.

The cops stamped the forms for free. was expecting a fee as the gf had to pay for some working with children clearence thing, was around $30 iirc.

re the prefilling/secret info, my details werent corresponding here either so i rang them and updated my address info, it has pushed on another step. left my group cert at home and need that for the next bit. its a bit of a palava.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Mackman wrote: »
    I tried the e-tax thing, didnt work though, it said my personal info didnt match their details. ans the "shared secret information' what ever the hell that is, didnt work either.
    so i just printed it off and im gonna send it in by post. a lot easier.

I think you need to do it manually first and then when the gov has tax details on file you can use etax the second year round.

same as here, thought i had it towards the end but wouldnt let me submit. i have printed it and its ready to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

I think you need to do it manually first and then when the gov has tax details on file you can use etax the second year round.

No you can definitely use e-Tax for your first one...think you just need to have got something validated before using it but can't remember exactly...

eTax is pretty sweet but NZ Ird online kicks a** - 5 mins to do on a Monday, paid into bank on Wednesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    eTax is pretty sweet but NZ Ird online kicks a** - 5 mins to do on a Monday, paid into bank on Wednesday...

Tell me how please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Tell me how please?

As in how NZ online beats etax? Have you used both? Then its pretty clear...and the turnaround time in payment here in NZ is class...

Filling the IR3 online in NZ takes no more than 5 mins - thats if you have to do one, if not and you have a PTS then its even less...check what you're owed - hit submit and bingo...I know I have done both in the last week...even with the IR3 it said up to 10 weeks...this was on a friday and was in the bank on Monday...

Almost forgot - NZ also has up to date info on your pay and tax online rather than waiting in summaries from your employer being sent directly...

Advertisement