Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Tax Return - how to?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Gonna have to give this eTax shoite a go soon...

Do I get paid all of my tax back? My gross paid tax is like $1400, so how much of that will I get back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Dave! wrote: »
    Gonna have to give this eTax shoite a go soon...

Do I get paid all of my tax back? My gross paid tax is like $1400, so how much of that will I get back?

You probably wont get it all back. It depends on how long you were working, and how much money overall you earned. I got around half what i paid back, $2000 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I love eTax. Piece of piss and it's done in 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

wait until you go home and use the revenue.ie service, its far easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I love eTax. Piece of piss and it's done in 10 minutes.
    It has no idea who I am. It makes me want to cry. ****ing stupid nonsense.
    lg123 wrote: »
    wait until you go home and use the revenue.ie service, its far easier
    what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

You know this 'shared secret' info it asks for, well its only giving me one option to fill in and thats my PAYG Payment Summary for 08/09.
    I've no idea what this is, and no way really of finding out. I worked here and there on different farms etc, and id be pissin in the wind trying to get a PAYG off them. I didnt do a tax return that year as I didnt pay very much tax.

Is there a way around the 'shared secret' or willl i just have to do a paper form??
    Am back home now wanting to get this done asap

Doop wrote: »
    You know this 'shared secret' info it asks for, well its only giving me one option to fill in and thats my PAYG Payment Summary for 08/09.
    I've no idea what this is, and no way really of finding out. I worked here and there on different farms etc, and id be pissin in the wind trying to get a PAYG off them. I didnt do a tax return that year as I didnt pay very much tax.

Is there a way around the 'shared secret' or willl i just have to do a paper form??
    Am back home now wanting to get this done asap

Same thing happened me, it wouldnt accept my secret info. Ive no idea why. So i just printed it, signed it and sent it into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Mackman wrote: »
    Same thing happened me, it wouldnt accept my secret info. Ive no idea why. So i just printed it, signed it and sent it into them.

So you didnt fill in any info? I have the same problem as doop in that I have no PAYG statements so cant fill in the amounts.

CiaranC wrote: »
    So you didnt fill in any info? I have the same problem as doop in that I have no PAYG statements so cant fill in the amounts.

I did have the PAYG statement, (group cert), but it still wouldnt accept my shared secret info. I dont know what you do if you dont have a group cert.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks to this thread I spent the past 90 minutes doing my tax return online from start to finish. Slightly tedious, but happy everything went through and the system recognised me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rdunne3

Hi Lads,
    Ive only just started working a job that ill have until about mid-September. Im on a working holiday visa and I was wondering what the story with tax back with me is. Ive heard loads of different stories about people getting and not getting tax back and id really like to clear it up.

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Been working since the start of April and after going through the whole etax rubbish, it has informed me that I owe Mr. Taxman the princely sum of $1200. Why? I feel like crying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Been working since the start of April and after going through the whole etax rubbish, it has informed me that I owe Mr. Taxman the princely sum of $1200. Why? I feel like crying!

You are not a resident for tax purposes as you're not in the country 6 months yet. Did you tick that you are a resident for tax purposes when you filled out the tax declaration form when you started your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

You are not a resident for tax purposes as you're not in the country 6 months yet. Did you tick that you are a resident for tax purposes when you filled out the tax declaration form when you started your job?

No I said I wasn't a resident. Was this wrong? Thats what I was told to fill in by the payroll bird at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rdunne3

This is the exact same situation Im in. Ive just started work. Would it work if I rang up the Australian Tax Office and said im a resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mackman wrote: »
    You probably wont get it all back. It depends on how long you were working, and how much money overall you earned. I got around half what i paid back, $2000 :D

Not true, there is a low earners tax offset for residents for tax purposes (which I assume Dave's is going to be)

so he is get close to most of it ...

You don't have to be in the country 6 months ... it is all about intent .. if you plan to be in the country for 6 months (same job/area) then they can be classes as a resident for tax purposes.

It is essentially between you and the tax man.

here is a 5 min test if you want to use it

hussey wrote: »
    You don't have to be in the country 6 months ... it is all about intent .. if you plan to be in the country for 6 months (same job/area) then they can be classes as a resident for tax purposes.

It is essentially between you and the tax man.

here is a 5 min test if you want to use it

but did he tick that he was a resident for Tax purpose when he was doing his eTax?

but did he tick that he was a resident for Tax purpose when he was doing his eTax?

yes, but it sounds like he has not submitted it.

hussey wrote: »
    yes, but it sounds like he has not submitted it.

he doesn't say mention he ticked the resident for tax purposes

• Advertisement

he doesn't say mention he ticked the resident for tax purposes

"No I said I wasn't a resident. Was this wrong? Thats what I was told to fill in by the payroll bird at work. "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is it true that you can't claim back tax on WHV unless you have been working for 6 months??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i am almost certain thats not true.

i done my tax return myself for last year through etax and never came accross anything suggesting this. i only started working in feb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

NZ IRD kicks e-taxes ass here. The system wont recognise me so might as well get an accountant to do it for me.

jank wrote: »
    NZ IRD kicks e-taxes ass here. The system wont recognise me so might as well get an accountant to do it for me.

It doesn't have to, you can print it off and send it manually rather than a accountant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ok how are everyone getting on with this etax. I've just started to download some thing and it's taking a while. I hope everything else is a bit quicker. For those of you who have had different employers..how are you getting on with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Done mine all went through okay (I think) anyone got anything back yet for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Got mine back today. Only $200 but better than nothing. My job isn't one with loads of deductions unfortunately.

The best was my first year here when I went from being non-resident to resident during the year. Got $5000 back that year. It's been no more than a few hundred each year since then. I've always used eTax.

It took just over a week and a half to go into my account this year. It's been quicker in the past though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hmmmm, I'm a non-resident for tax purposes, will that make a difference? My two mates are on the same visa, but they're residents for tax purposes!

Is it possible to change it? I did a little test on the tax website and it says I'm probably a resident for tax purposes, so I don't know how I ended up being a non-resident. They didn't ask too many questions when I was applying for my TFN, so I don't see how I could have fooked it up :(

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    hmmmm, I'm a non-resident for tax purposes, will that make a difference? My two mates are on the same visa, but they're residents for tax purposes!

Is it possible to change it? I did a little test on the tax website and it says I'm probably a resident for tax purposes, so I don't know how I ended up being a non-resident. They didn't ask too many questions when I was applying for my TFN, so I don't see how I could have fooked it up :(

have you applied yet? if so you'll have to make an amendment and that process takes time

If not just check the box that says 'resident for tax purposes'

Advertisement