Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Golden Ball

• 20-05-2010 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

At least we know it cant be David "Golden Balls" Beckham but who do you think will win this award? For anyone that doesnt know, it is the award for the Player of the Tournament. The candidates are selected by FIFA and voted for by representatives of the media. Generally it goes to a player whose team reaches the final, more often than not winning the WC. Attacking players obviously have the best record - Previous Winners:

World Cup Golden Ball
    1982 Spain Paolo Rossi
    1986 Mexico Diego Maradona
    1990 Italy Salvatore Schillaci
    1994 USA Romário
    1998 France Ronaldo
    2002 Korea/Japan Oliver Kahn
    2006 Germany Zinedine Zidane

Odds here
    http://www.oddschecker.com/football/internationals/world-cup/golden-ball-award

As I am of the Brazil camp the two I am looking at are Kaka @ 16-1 and Maicon, who is a whopping 150-1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Warper wrote: »
    At least we know it cant be David "Golden Balls" Beckham but who do you think will win this award? For anyone that doesnt know, it is the award for the Player of the Tournament. The candidates are selected by FIFA and voted for by representatives of the media. Generally it goes to a player whose team reaches the final, more often than not winning the WC. Attacking players obviously have the best record - Previous Winners:

World Cup Golden Ball
    1982 Spain Paolo Rossi
    1986 Mexico Diego Maradona
    1990 Italy Salvatore Schillaci
    1994 USA Romário
    1998 France Ronaldo
    2002 Korea/Japan Oliver Kahn
    2006 Germany Zinedine Zidane

Odds here
    http://www.oddschecker.com/football/internationals/world-cup/golden-ball-award

As I am of the Brazil camp the two I am looking at are Kaka @ 16-1 and Maicon, who is a whopping 150-1.

Maicon would probably be unlikely to get - mostly for the reason that he is a fullback. Although, in saying that, Oliver Kahn won it as a goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

RichTea wrote: »
    Maicon would probably be unlikely to get - mostly for the reason that he is a fullback. Although, in saying that, Oliver Kahn won it as a goalkeeper.

yep cos only 2 players scored against him in that WC.

Ronaldo &................Robbie Keane!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Messi or Xavi imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It'll be Xavi, Messi or Lampard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Maicon could possibly get it, he's certainly an eye catching player, constantly involved in the play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

I think Messi, would be the favourite for the award although that depends on how Maradonna plays him. some of his decisions since he took that job have been strange to say the least. it wouldn't suprise me if he put Messi in goal!

I mite put some money on someone like Casillas just for the outside chance but we will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I reckon Xavi will pip it... But it could always fall to the likes of Kaka, Messi, et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Buffon could win this ye know.

I think its gonna be the year of the defence, epitomised by Italy defending their title to success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

by the best player on the team that wins the tournament most likely.

i think Brazil will win it, therefore I'm going to plump for Kaka.

SlickRic wrote: »
    by the best player on the team that wins the tournament most likely.

i think Brazil will win it, therefore I'm going to plump for Kaka.
    No its not most likely that its a player on the winning team.

Only three players have won it in the year they won the World Cup since '82.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Didn Cannavaro not win it in 2006???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

eagle eye wrote: »
    No its not most likely that its a player on the winning team.

Only three players have won it in the year they won the World Cup since '82.

i was under the impression Cannavaro won it in 2006, meaning it'd be 4 out of 7 tournaments where the winner was on the winning team.

either way, 6 out of 7 winners have been on a team in the final.

so, i think Brazil will be in the final, therefore, i'll plump for Kaka.

:D

xtal191 wrote: »
    Didn Cannavaro not win it in 2006???
    No he won the Ballon d'Or and World player of the year but not the World Cup Golden Ball.

He only won the other two because of Zizou's headbutt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Might throw a few euro on Julio Cesar and Lucio!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Whoever is MOTM in the final will win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Rooney and Xavi are both good value at 16s IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Gary Breen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

eagle eye wrote: »
    No he won the Ballon d'Or and World player of the year but not the World Cup Golden Ball.

He only won the other two because of Zizou's headbutt.

He also did a decent bit of defending.

Advertisement