Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Alan Wake or Red Dead???

• 20-05-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭

Hey

Planning on gettin a game for my 360 tomorrow and cant decide between Alan Wake or Red Dead Redemption. What do ye all think? I know red dead isnt out til tomorrow but was hopin some might have gotten it early on the net or something? They both look pretty good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

jonny666 wrote: »
    Hey

Planning on gettin a game for my 360 tomorrow and cant decide between Alan Wake or Red Dead Redemption. What do ye all think? I know red dead isnt out til tomorrow but was hopin some might have gotten it early on the net or something? They both look pretty good.

Depends on what type of gamer/person you are as they are both miles apart from each other. One is survival horror/thriller movie cross over while with other is open world GTA in the wild west. One you will finish in around 10hrs depending on difficulty and if you play it again the other is 20-25hrs plus. Then if you are into multiplayer, which I couldn't care less about in any game. RDR has it, AW has none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I would have an interest in both games from reading reviews and stuff. Im not too bothered bout multiplayer either. Age of Conan is the main game im playin at the moment and what im lookin for is something to play for a break from conan. I seem to be leaning more towards Red dead cause it looks more of a fun game that i could just pick up and play for a half hour here and there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Buy Red Dead. Alan Wake, as much as I'm loving it - is the perfect one-week rental game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mickalis

Buy Red Dead. Alan Wake, as much as I'm loving it - is the perfect one-week rental game

Could not agree more! Took the words right out of my mouth!

I never even thought of renting. I never rent games. How much do xtra-vision charge to rent for a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

about 7 euro for the week man i wish i rented it instead of buying well over half way through and i only bought it last week.will trade it for red dead when i finish

7 euro isnt bad i suppose! Think its sorted so. Will be buyin Red Dead and might rent alan wake sometime!!

Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

naughto wrote: »
    about 7 euro for the week man i wish i rented it instead of buying well over half way through and i only bought it last week.will trade it for red dead when i finish

Not anymore... :P

7.95 for 5 nights
    5.95 for 3 nights

Alan Wake is not out to rent at the moment (afaik) but most likely will be tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

You should try gameclick if you want to rent games,10e a month for any 2 games is a bargain

http://www.gameclick.ie/search/platform/ps3/ref_genre/15/page/5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I haven't played RDR yet but it looks set to be a great game, with a lot of content (singleplayer AND multiplayer wise). If you look at it that way, RDR definitely looks like the better choice.

Having said that, I really really enjoyed Alan Wake, I think it's an awful lot better than some of the reviews give it credit for, and I'm really glad I bought it. I'll definitely be replaying it on Nightmare difficulty level, and collecting all the bits and pieces (manuscript pages).

Trade more stuff and get both ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I bought Alan Wake yesterday and started playing it about about 6pm. Played until about 11, and then again from about 1 until 5pm today when I finished it. Decent game but very short, just rent it.

I'm trading it in against Red Dead Redemption. HMV said I'll get about €30 for it so I'm happy enough.

I just posted a review of Alan Wake here (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65990487#post65990487)

Have a read if it will help with your decision making!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

I asked the same thing in Gamestop today, Staff brought home red dead from work yday evening and they said there should be no question about which one to buy - Red Dead is that amazingly good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I cant disagree on red dead being awesome but i really wouldnt be asking advice from gamestop employees, they get commission for selling more expensive stuff, hardly makes them a reliable source of info as regards any purchases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

VinLieger wrote: »
    I cant disagree on red dead being awesome but i really wouldnt be asking advice from gamestop employees, they get commission for selling more expensive stuff, hardly makes them a reliable source of info as regards any purchases
    Jesus mate, give it up, they're people too and mostly gamers like you and I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

m83 wrote: »
    Jesus mate, give it up, they're people too and mostly gamers like you and I.

Its not the employees fault they are just doing their job, i dont blame them its the ethos behind the company that forces them to behave like that that i hate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I picked up Alan Wake yesterday and played through the first two parts on hard..it was a breeze..it's not a difficult game and to be honest i'm not that 'taken' by it ;)
    it's a rent nothing more...Red Dead does look pretty cool although i'm not a huge GTA fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Red Dead is brilliant, must buy in my opinion

Alan Wake is pretty good but quite short. If it's one or the other, i'd go with Red Dead all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Buy Red Dead, rent/borrow Alan Wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ex6

Everyone seems to be saying roughly the same thing in here.

My personal plan is to buy both games, but just not now... I'll probably do it in a month or so, when the new game prices are dropped a little from the release-date, and there are plenty of pre-owned games available.

Only game I ever bought on the release date was GTA IV ...

... and thats why (read: RockStar) my 1st choice is RDR and AW is #2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

VinLieger wrote: »

Gamestop employees dont get commission.

The games are about the same price anyway. Maybe the guy did enjoy red dead more that alan wake. He was asked his opinion and he gave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

Was just saying on a diff thread I feel very let down by Red Dead having heard all the hype and buying it on Friday - Find it boring in many parts to be honest....opinion:p

Cullen82 wrote: »
    Was just saying on a diff thread I feel very let down by Red Dead having heard all the hype and buying it on Friday - Find it boring in many parts to be honest....opinion:p

I would be inclined to agree... I bought it Friday, played for a few hours and thats about it. I am finding it very slow to get going, which was similar with GTA4. Since Friday, I have yet to play it again...
    I am sure I will get back into it, but right now, it feels quite laborious to do so... And a game should be fun, not feel like a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I disagree, I even got up with a tremendous hangover to play another few hours. Not since ME2 have I been so hooked on a game. This is similar to GTA4, very similar but it's far, far superior in every way. Game of the year for me so far.

Advertisement