Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Str-db 940 amplifier - rear speakers problem

• 20-05-2010 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have Sony Str-db 940 amplifier with JBL CS-680 speaker set connected. 2 rear speakers usually don't work. I'm sure that speakers, cables, cabling, etc. are ok. It is something with amplifier itself. This is how i test the speakers: i run 'TONE TEST' on the amplifier and sometimes one of the rear speakers works... left OR right. I get them to work sometimes when i volume up the 'rear' but after few seconds these are gone again....
    Is this worth fixing? How much would that be? Do you know the best place / person to give the try to fix it?
    Thanks for advices
    africates

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm not home at the minute but pretty sure this is the amp I have. I've never had a day's bother with mine.
    You are right to use the test tone, it puts an audible signal to each speaker in succession. I would run it with the working speakers and then connect the speakers you are certain are working (presumably the front left and right) into the rear left and right terminals on the back of the amp and re-run the test.
    This will acertain whether the amp is providing a signal to a set of working speakers (with working cable!).
    Not worth fixing, you can get an equivalent amp for less than a ton without much effort on adverts.ie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Oh, meant to say, check the Ohm rating on your rear speakers, they need to be matching your other main speakers (not sure about the sub)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

I have one of these and the centre channel is a bit ropey. It often doesn't work unless i turn it up loud for a moment. Had it checked by a Sony dealer about 3 years ago and told it wasn't worth repairing.

Ended up replacing with a Denon amp from RS last year. All the latest HD surround formats supported, HDMI switching, and better sound.

I kept the Sony for use as a stereo amp for my PC.

I'd think about saving up for a while and get a new amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭africates

Thanks guys!
    I've checked speakers and connections - they are fine. I've also swapped speakers with no luck. Its definatelly the amp... so I think I'd need to go for new one... after holidays I recon ;)

Advertisement