Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldering

Options
  • 20-05-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Basically, I've never soldered before, and I'm looking to acquire some experience before I soldier xbox's/wii's ect.

Is there anywhere I can buy cheap kits that teach me how to soldier? and is a soldering iron universal, or are there different types?

cheers,

Kevin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

In Maplins they have little electrical projects that come with the compents and circuit board. I have built a few of their amps and now rewire/repair my guitars and gadgets.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220054

Soldering is easy, there are vids on youtube that you can watch. If your modding xbox's etc then I would buy a few orriginal xbox's and mod them first as you can pick them up in bulk for fiver each in cash converters. I use them for Xmbc so you should be able to sell them on to recover any costs of your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Get some old pcbs and practice removing/soldering on components.

You'll need a soldering iron with a really fine tip and very fine solder. Get a solder sucker and solder wick too. McQuillans have a small hot air gun for €10 that's perfect for basic SMT work.

I'm sure YouTube is full of videos showing you how it's done. It's basically applying enough heat to the components then introducing a small amount of solder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Leadership wrote: »
    In Maplins they have little electrical projects that come with the compents and circuit board. I have built a few of their amps and now rewire/repair my guitars and gadgets.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220054

Soldering is easy, there are vids on youtube that you can watch. If your modding xbox's etc then I would buy a few orriginal xbox's and mod them first as you can pick them up in bulk for fiver each in cash converters. I use them for Xmbc so you should be able to sell them on to recover any costs of your training.

Hi,

What cash converters stock the original xbox's for 5€ each, and how many is bulk (I just rang Thomas st. and they only have 360's)

and, from research I have found that it is best to buy a soildering iron that has variable tempatures, what's the best one for my money (cheap lol) and where can I pick one up?

cheers,

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Kevin! wrote: »
    Hi,

What cash converters stock the original xbox's for 5€ each, and how many is bulk (I just rang Thomas st. and they only have 360's)

I am in Cork so its the one on Maccurtain St has them or did have a few months ago. I bought 10 of them at the time.

Advertisement