Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lucan - Cormacks shop, did you ever go there?

• 04-04-2010 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Anyone that grew up in Lucan will remember Cormack's:

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5698

It's where you would go for bags of marbles, fishing tackle, puncture repair kits and of course Matchbox cars:

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5699

The famous Matchbox display case is no longer there, but the window sticker is:

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5700

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

EDIT: Thanks to Little Alex for allowing me to copy his post from another forum into this thread :)

Anyone remember Cormacks shop in the Village? I used to love that shop as a kid. I remember looking at all of the Matchbox 'dinky' cars in the window and dreaming of what it would be like to have them all :D

The only thing I ever remember buying in there was two flies for fishing. I never knew why but the little old lady in there (Mrs. Cormack?) always terrified me as a kid. I loved the shop but was always afraid as soon as I went in :)

Actually, I just remembered buying a bag of Gollys (large marbles) in there and my first bag of blue crystals (more marbles) there as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Hi r3nu4l

Nice thread!

I'm just trying to think of the sort of things that I used to buy in there... marbles, bicycle tubes and puncture repair kits, fishing nets, one of those polystyrene aeroplanes that kind of slotted together and you could throw it and it would glide, Matchbox cars and I think an Airfix plane once... anyway, those sorts of things!

Oh yeah, forgot, sparklers at Halloween! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I loved Cormack's! I got marbles and those polystyrene aeroplanes regularly and remember being in there on Christmas Eve getting lights for the tree and wondering if Santa was going to get me any of the dolls they had.

I often wonder what the story with the place is now - surprised it hasn't been cleared out properly and sold or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I had a peep through the shutters a few weeks ago,all i could see was old furniture and books lying around the place.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Yeah, I've always wondered why it was closed all the time. Now I realise it's shut down completely :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

one of those polystyrene aeroplanes that kind of slotted together and you could throw it and it would glide
    those polystyrene aeroplanes regularly

Ha ha, I forgot about those!! I had a few of them alright, also bought in Cormacks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MaMu

My children grew up in Lucan - I still live there - they loved that Shop. I did too - easy to get something for birthdays, etc, that didn't break the bank - very important in those days - still is, All of you have listed the popular items of the time. Anyone remember the name of the cards that could be got showing things like 'strenght' etc., boys loved them and they would swap with friends?:):):) Happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

MaMu wrote: »
    Anyone remember the name of the cards that could be got showing things like 'strenght' etc.?

Were they individual cards or a card game? If it was a card game and you mean Physical Strength and Horror Rating then they were Horror Top Trumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MaMu

Yes, Yes, Top Trumps - Teachers didn't like them in school.:(

Advertisement