Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Switched off - Hazard

Options
  • 20-05-2010 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on the following:

My wife walked into our sitting room yesterday and there was a smell of gas. There is an exposed gas pipe which is sealed at the top in the fireplace. It seems someone moved the pipe and snagged it lower down, causing a gas leak.

She called out Bord Gáis, they shut us off completely, pending having someone fix the problem, and issue a certificate.

Can anyone advise what kind of cost is involved with this type of work (bearing in mind that there is no "tap" or valve linked to this pipe to stop the flow?
    I assume the person to fix the issue will need to pull out the fireplace?
    I saw a post here recently regarding people getting certified/qualified to carry out this kind of work without having any relevant experience, can anyone recommend someone in Newcastle, Lucan, Clondalkin area?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

this sound like it is a pipe left in for a gas fire , if it is there should be a valve at the side of your chimney breast down near skirting board level , so it wouldnt be a major job for the plumber to put right , as he hes something to work from, if there is no valve there you would be looking at more work, i cant see why your fireplace would have to come out

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

yeah thats the problem, theres no valve, so presumably its gonna be a major job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

have you got concrete floors or are there suspended wooden floors , is the pipe coming up through the floor or through the wall ,how old is the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

concrete floors, house is 6 years old. had a bit of a cowboy builder though so no big surprises that it wasnt done properly

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's not a major job, The RGI will either dig up a little bit of the floor and blank pipe under floor, or find where it is tee'd into main gas line and blank there (Maybe ran from boiler location etc)

• Advertisement
Advertisement