Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pimp my porridge

• 20-05-2010 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Seeing as we are facing the end of cycling as we know it (drugs eh?? who knew....) here's something from the ART forum to lighten the tone a bit:

pimp my porridge

I'm a fan of walnuts, berries and honey myself but a sick little part of me is intrigued about this nutella and grand marnier idea....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Fresh ground Cinnamon, sliced banana and a good drop of milk for me.... cycle all day with that in you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raspberry jam is your only man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Raisins and nutmeg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Handfull of raisons with mixed nuts/seed + plenty of milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Just honey for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Just brown sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The proper Scottish way, oats, water and a pinch of salt -anything else is fer the soft, southern, shandy drinking jessies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Raisins and banana for me. I used to have honey too, but with the fruit it was quite sweet.
    The proper Scottish way, oats, water and a pinch of salt -anything else is fer the soft, southern, shandy drinking jessies!
    It's Donncha Pheig reincarnated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

A handful of frozen berries (bought from Lidl), blasted for another minute.

Luvly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The proper Scottish way, oats, water and a pinch of salt -anything else is fer the soft, southern, shandy drinking jessies people who can afford milk

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Aldi's frozen raspberries. €1.99, good for a couple of weeks' worth of breakfasts. Add to porridge before you microwave.

DFD*

*DesignerFuel(petit)Dejeuner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Fresh ground Cinnamon, sliced banana and a good drop of milk for me.... cycle all day with that in you.

Exactly what I go for (oh, with raisons too - soaked over night) - sometimes an extra topping of a crunchy cereal too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I detest porridge.

Fruit. Bread. OJ. Coffee. And on fridays 2 pain au chocolat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Honey or maple syrup, Banana and sugar

Porridge, milk, unbleached caster sugar.

Honey is bee bum juice.

Lumen wrote: »
    Porridge, milk, unbleached caster sugar.

Honey is bee bum juice.

What about milk? I was watching cows get milked at the weekend, it wasn't pretty.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    What about milk? I was watching cows get milked at the weekend, it wasn't pretty.

You went to watch a milfing, but it turned out to be a typo?

Actual cows, huge they were! Got sh!t all over my jeans too which wasn't fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Got sh!t all over my jeans too which wasn't fun.
    I panicked the first time I saw real cows too!

DFD*

*DefecatingFromDread.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You're such a city slicker. Did you actually milk one or did you just watch? Machine or the old fashioned way?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 davidoc

el tonto wrote: »
    Raspberry jam is your only man.

This combo is known as "monkey brains" in our house.

Cinnamon, banana and maple syrup for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Poor little city boy, got a little dirty!! :)

You're such a city slicker. Did you actually milk one or did you just watch? Machine or the old fashioned way?

It was all automated, really cool. But you are in a little sub level in the middle of the two milking lanes, all their arses are pointed right at you, above your head. And they spook easily.

It was all automated, really cool. But you are in a little sub level in the middle of the two milking lanes, all their arses are pointed right at you, above your head. And they spook easily.

You learn to dodge pretty fast after a couple of close calls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

People microwave porridge??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Bake it! With honey, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans, sesame seeds, natural yogurt and a banana.

abcdggs wrote: »

I do it every day.

• Advertisement

I do it every day.
    Curiouser and curiouser...

alfalad wrote: »
    You learn to dodge pretty fast after a couple of close calls!

Yep. And most of it goes down rather than out. It's the stray kicks from the tempermental ones you have to look out for.

abcdggs wrote: »

Usually includes instructions on the packet

no_microwave.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Porridge is muck.

Yep. And most of it goes down rather than out. It's the stray kicks from the tempermental ones you have to look out for.

Very true. Thankfully I was never been caught too badly!

• Advertisement

I guess it depends on the texture you're after. Microwaved porridge isn't creamy enough for my tastes, and the milk goes a bit funny too.

Cooking porridge is about getting the starch out, not just getting the heat in, and that requires time and stirring which doesn't suit the microwave approach.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Raam wrote: »
    Porridge is muck.

Try the porridge in Brownes on Sandymount Green, that will change your mind. Don't know what they do to it but it's beautiful!

I guess it depends on the texture you're after. Microwaved porridge isn't creamy enough for my tastes, and the milk goes a bit funny too.

Cooking porridge is about getting the starch out, not just getting the heat in, and that requires time and stirring which doesn't suit the microwave approach.

Nope, I'd agree with you, but I usually don't fancy taking that long to make it, hence baking large batches of it to make granola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Probably.

I favour a 2:1 mix of jumbo porridge oats and granola bits with dried fruit and seeds and bits of coconut and stuff in it. Mix that with twice its volume of milk, zap for three minutes and let sit for as long as you can stand it (go check your tyre pressures or something), then mix it and zap it for another minute or so. Creamy, fruity and very moreish.

I did try to make chocolate banana porridge. It was a disappointment.

alfalad wrote: »
    Try the porridge in Brownes on Sandymount Green, that will change your mind. Don't know what they do to it but it's beautiful!

I do re-call having a rather tasty pesto chicken sandwich in there a few times.

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »
    I did try to make chocolate banana porridge. It was a disappointment.

Chocolate, banana and custard. That's where it's at. Slice the banana and put the slices into a small glass of custard and chocolate (already made/melted and stirred into each other). Put it in the fridge to set for a while. Eat. Yum.

Bake it! With honey, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans, sesame seeds, natural yogurt and a banana.

Bake it you say? More details please. I see you haven't overlooked the importance of including protein either...

Bake it you say? More details please. I see you haven't overlooked the importance of including protein either...

Half inch layer of large milled oats in baking dish, some vegetable oil (not too much though, enough to stop them sticking), pile on some honey, mix it all together, throw in as much nuts and seeds as you like (no raisins or fruit though) mix it all together put in oven preheated to 170 C and bake for about half hour, should be able to smell it. Make sure to mix occasionally or the top layer will just burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Where is the protein? Very little protein in a normal portion of nuts, they're mostly delicious fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Now this sounds nice! more details please.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Where is the protein? Very little protein in a normal portion of nuts, they're mostly delicious fat.

There's a lot more protein in a bowl of milk, yogurt, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans and sesame seeds than there is in a bowl of oats with jam.

You can also use a very sugary compote of your favourite out of date, but not furry, fruit. I think it's half a cup of water and half a cup of sugar, bring to boil, boil for a few mins then add your fruit and boil for another few mins until the fruit starts to breakdown, blueberries are good option.

Ciaran500 wrote: »

The recommended daily intake of protein for an adult is 40 to 70g per day

At a very quick search in this quantity of sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds you'd have 17.5g of protein, that's not even including the milk, yogurt and nuts.

Pumpkin seeds, 1oz 9.35g
    Sesame seeds, 1 tablespoon 2.55g
    Sunflower seeds, 1oz 5.48g

So that's where the protein is.

The recommended daily intake of protein for an adult is 40 to 70g per day

At a very quick search in this quantity of sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds you'd have 17.5g of protein, that's not even including the milk, yogurt and nuts.

Pumpkin seeds, 1oz 9.35g
    Sesame seeds, 1 tablespoon 2.55g
    Sunflower seeds, 1oz 5.48g

So that's where the protein is.

I'm vegetarian so I take protein wherever I can find it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

oats, cinnemon, pecans and pumpkin seeds covered in nice cold milk. I also tend to throw a little wheat germ in too

• Advertisement
Advertisement