Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted abductions in Kildare/North Dublin [mod warning in effect #162 ]

Options
  • 20-05-2010 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Just a note to parents to be ever vigilant as usual, but even more so at the moment. Since the start of May, there have been several abduction attempts made towards young children in Kildare and Dublin.

One such incident took place in Kilteel last weekend ( link ) and there have been other attempts in Swords ( link ), Newcastle and Celbridge.

I'm not suggesting that the attempts are linked, there have just been several of them since the start of the month and although I'm not a parent, I have a lot of responsibility for my little sister and I will not be letting her out of my sight. I was sent a text and and email from friends of mine who are parents to spread the word about the attempts and just to warn parents to be careful, especially if children are playing in the front garden or on estate greens (which is where the children in Swords were approached).

Spread the word and keep an eye out for any suspicious activity in your area.

Mod edit: Please remember civil posting is expected on this forum and we have a zero tolerance for flaming and trolling. IF you are unsure what this means please consult the charter or the forum or the site FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

It is strange to say the least. The fact that this has happened in a short period of time in different areas is worthy of note and should not be ignored as such as scare tactics.

i would imagine that something sinister is happening due to the influx of immigrants and the economic downturn. People need to grow a new attitude with regards to the safety of their children. In some cultures they are an asset.

Not starting a panic or anything but it is an issue worth looking at. For some scum in life our youth and our free attitudes are picking grounds for these criminals. from what I have seen in general these scum are now a part of our life with their criminal culture.

It is unfortunate that we have to adapt a more secure environment as individuals due to the above mentioned multicultural influxes. That is life I guess as parents who have to unfortunately teach our kids more about this potential danger that does exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

*shudders*

thank allandanyways, will be extra vigilant. to think some of the children in our estate are allowed out without any supervision makes my skin crawl. i'll be keeping an eye out for them more so now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is this based on any verified incidents or just pointless scaremongering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Is this based on any verified incidents or just pointless scaremongering?

I have links to reports on the attempts in Kilteel and Swords in my original post, and Gardaí in Rathcoole have confirmed the attempt in Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lardossan

i would imagine that something sinister is happening due to the influx of immigrants

...multicultural influxes.

any actual statistic to back this up or are you just a prejudiced scaremongering bigot?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I received a similar warning yesterday about attempted abductions in the Saggart, Rathcoole and Brittas areas. The person who sent this on to me said the schools in the area(s) relayed a Gardai warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

lardossan wrote: »
    any actual statistic to back this up or are you just a prejudiced scaremongering bigot?

That's a bit over the top. Attack the post, not the poster etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

i would imagine that something sinister is happening due to the influx of immigrants and the economic downturn. People need to grow a new attitude with regards to the safety of their children. In some cultures they are an asset.

So now they are taking our kids as well as our jobs????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Lets not get dragged off thread here

I also heard via the ' jungle drums ' about attempted abduction in Rathcoole .

Are any of these ( apart from the ones with newspaper reports / police involvement ) at all true

I have heard nothing about one in Celbridge or Newcastle ( unless this is linked to the Rathcoole one )

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

*shudders*

thank allandanyways, will be extra vigilant. to think some of the children in our estate are allowed out without any supervision makes my skin crawl. i'll be keeping an eye out for them more so now.

At what age do we let the children out unsupervised to learn the skills of being vaguely self-sufficient ?

• Advertisement

QuickQuery wrote: »
    At what age do we let the children out unsupervised to learn the skills of being vaguely self-sufficient ?

it depends on the child, but there are children as young as three yrs old outside, unsupervised in our estate. my daughter is nearly six, not a hope i wouldn't be watching her for another long while yet.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

There is a greater risk to kids out there.

We don't hear about it as much.

It doesn't make the jungle drums.

It doesn't be forwarded around in chain emails.

The Guards comments on it are ignored.

It's the risk to unrestrained children in cars - it's visible every day in all strata of society but yet no-one gets themselves in a twist about it ?

Is it because it's easier to blame and be worried about a whispy boogie-person image than worry about an issue over which we all have direct control ?

parsi wrote: »
    There is a greater risk to kids out there.

We don't hear about it as much.

It doesn't make the jungle drums.

It doesn't be forwarded around in chain emails.

The Guards comments on it are ignored.

It's the risk to unrestrained children in cars - it's visible every day in all strata of society but yet no-one gets themselves in a twist about it ?

Is it because it's easier to blame and be worried about a whispy boogie-person image than worry about an issue over which we all have direct control ?

i honestly don't know anyone who doesn't seat belt their child appropriately in the car.
    or themselves for that matter.

My mistake, should have elaborated more. I have a relative who is a guard in Dublin. He has informed me in general conversation that the levels of crime are rising and the people that are commiting these crimes are beyond belief by their actions and have no respect at all for the social norm that exists in Irish culture. These people are both local and imported. This makes it more difficult for the local gaurdai to deal with in the intelligence sense.

The influx of immigrants in any country naturally introduces good and bad cultures. Criminal and otherwise. In this case this thread is about the criminal element at least from my point of view.

This is why the guards in some cases have employed help from other involved countries i.e. detectives and police from other countries to more understand the additional crime cultures and techniques that naturally happen due to our more multicultural society.

That is the way I look at it. I didn't put it across well enough in my original post. I'll think more carefully in future before providing some folks with the oppurtunity to attack me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

i honestly don't know anyone who doesn't seat belt their child appropriately in the car.
    or themselves for that matter.

I do. My neighbour does it all the time with her 4 yr old, i have never seen him belted in.
    I have seen it multiple times in around dublin - used to travel a lot on a bus and the height helps. Saw 4-5 young children in the back of a car one day all unbelted, nevermind a car seat.

that said, my niece used to sit on her grandads knee and 'drive' the car from about 3yrs of age, again no belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Just to bring this thread back on topic, friend of mine with kids in the national school in Rathcoole told me that notes were sent home on Friday warning about the attempts. (Not 100% of this, word of mouth, maybe a boardsie with kids in the school can verify)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055489222

The above was written a year ago. Maybe these 4 men have been trying since then to abduct a child.

Most abductions in Ireland are carried out by someone who knows the child (family going through divorces, etc. or taking children out of the country)

My mistake, should have elaborated more. I have a relative who is a guard in Dublin. He has informed me in general conversation that the levels of crime are rising and the people that are commiting these crimes are beyond belief by their actions and have no respect at all for the social norm that exists in Irish culture.

http://www.cso.ie/Quicktables/GetQuickTables.aspx?FileName=cja01c1.asp&TableName=Homicide+Offences&StatisticalProduct=DB_CJ

Best to look at stats rather then taking the conversation of a garda friend as fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

Just to bring this thread back on topic, friend of mine with kids in the national school in Rathcoole told me that notes were sent home on Friday warning about the attempts. (Not 100% of this, word of mouth, maybe a boardsie with kids in the school can verify)

I was out with my cousin yesterday and her kids are in school in Rathcoole, she said they got notes about the attempted abductions sent home on Tuesday, possibly a different school, but yes, they are being circulated on advice from the Gardai apparently.

http://www.cso.ie/Quicktables/GetQuickTables.aspx?FileName=cja01c1.asp&TableName=Homicide+Offences&StatisticalProduct=DB_CJ

Best to look at stats rather then taking the conversation of a garda friend as fact.
    I will in future read some statistical facts and pass on this info to my garda friend and his associates, they are on the frontline and are dealing directly with the criminals in question... I am sure they will appreciate your input as much as I have via the statistical sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I havent read the whole thread sorry but yes this has been garda confirmed. I live in Lucan and have heard the story a few times. One person whose brother is a gard told my husband to watch out for the kids, another person told us the story going around was that its 2 men in a car with a puppy, how true that is I dont know but hey thats what we heard.

What I can confirm is that a few weeks back a man was caught on an 8ft wall taking pictures of the children in my daughters playschool, the staff ran around after him but by the time they got aorund the back he was gone. I of course alerted my older daughters principle of this being just around the corner and he confirmed he had reports of flashers in the local parks recently also. I have also been told of a paedophile in the Adamstown area, although there are most likely more than just one in the whole Lucan area, its just unfortunately as parents we are not alerted to who exactly is a register paedophile or sex offender.

We are no longer letting our kids out onto the street to play, they are sent to the back garden and we are happy of any or all of their friends play there with them, at least we know they are all secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

I live in Newcastle & my son goes to school there. The school newsletter on Friday stated that the attempted abduction had been confirmed as a misunderstanding by Rathcoole Gardai.

We should keep in mind that abductions in Ireland are quite rare, that said we should all be vigilant all the time (without being paranoid iykim)

RIRI wrote: »
    I live in Newcastle & my son goes to school there. The school newsletter on Friday stated that the attempted abduction had been confirmed as a misunderstanding by Rathcoole Gardai.

We should keep in mind that abductions in Ireland are quite rare, that said we should all be vigilant all the time (without being paranoid iykim)
    Totally agree. A point I would like to make as well after some thought is that statistics are just statistics i.e. they are only records of events past and pretty useless in the here and now.

If a parent has concerns and has witnessed from word of mouth or by directly experienced events in the here and now then this is not scaremongering. Rather it is a concern which is put up to be discussed intelligently via talking to other parents on a forum with similar concerns and experiences who may want to contribute.

Previouly this type of discussion was not and indeed is still not available without organising labour intensive organising and time constraints not to mention location issues. The social net allows us all to connect and build on opinions for good or bad on an infinite amount of issues immediately.

The social networking phenomenon which is becoming more and more part of our daily lives does actually give a heads up via chats and discussion on social forums such as this one.

An early heads up of this type of potential activity ie 'abduction attempts' offers a way to raise awareness of these potential activities by giving folks an early warning system. This early warning system lessens the potential for children becoming statistics.

Prevention by vigilance and communication is far better than what could otherwise occur ie if no one was able to talk openly and discuss experiences and share the up to date news which is part of the information society that we live in today.

Hope that makes sense, I have been thinking about it a lot from the sense of what others have said on this thread in a good and bad way. Cue another thesis on public attitudes combined with the Internet;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I believe that the same guy tried to abduct more children from Julianstown CO Meath recently from this link

Link

This guy was also seen in my sisters estate in Swords, similar car details etc... he was watching children, One of her neighbours went out to approach the car and he drove off.

I think parents should have a bit of cop on when they let their kids out to play, keep them in sight, dont let them roam and warn them about the dangers of talking to strangers.

It pisses me off when I see kids of 4 and 5 out playing unsupervised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 doodlebug165

A bit harsh don't you think??
    Fact: Kids are abducted, some right from their beds and back gardens. Madeline Mc Cann for starters and there's hundreds more each year. As a parent I appreciate the warning in advance, my 6 year old hasn't been allowed out since and I understand things have a tendency to get overhyped but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

Apparently there was a similar incident recently in my estate with a creepy looking man watching children. Only when my neighbour told me where it happened it and the description of the predator it turned out to be me. The child was my son and I had been waiting for him to finish playing. Must have a shave some time and can't be too careful about them pedos.
    something sinister is happening due to the influx of immigrants
    Yes, I also blame the immigrants. And they're taking our jobs.

Now, hatemongering racist bigots, they're fine and pose no danger to our children.

Quality wrote: »
    I believe that the same guy tried to abduct more children from Julianstown CO Meath recently from this link

Link

This guy was also seen in my sisters estate in Swords, similar car details etc... he was watching children, One of her neighbours went out to approach the car and he drove off.

I think parents should have a bit of cop on when they let their kids out to play, keep them in sight, dont let them roam and warn them about the dangers of talking to strangers.

It pisses me off when I see kids of 4 and 5 out playing unsupervised.

Anyone have a link to a reputable news agency rather then linking to speculative rumour spreading links on FB and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Anyone have a link to a reputable news agency rather then linking to speculative rumour spreading links on FB and the like?

Did you know that in cases of attempted abduction the police actually ask the familes not to contact the press for fear of scaremongering!

Quality wrote: »
    Did you know that in cases of attempted abduction the police actually ask the familes not to contact the press for fear of scaremongering!

I'm not looking for speculative scaremongering quotes from families. I am looking for information or warnings from reputable news agencies.

Does anyone have a link to any warnings from a government body (.ie. An Garda Siochana) or a reputable news agency (RTE, Irish times, etc.)? Anybody have any links that can be verified and that are not based on rumour or hearsay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The garda are going to be hoping to catch the perps and won't have it in the media as a result to scare them off, as ever they garda tell the schools and the schools send notes home to parents thats how the system works.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement