Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted abductions in Kildare/North Dublin [mod warning in effect #162 ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Well if the Garda are advising families not to contact the media, I am sure they are not
    going to do it themselves.

Plus my last statement was not based on hearsay or rumour! It was based on a family where an atttwmpted
    abduction occurred. The horses mouth so to speak! The primary source.

I don't see how you can dismiss their quotes! How else do you think the Garda get to hear about attempted abductions only when families report them!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

WTH!!! The guards don't tell the media???

I swear to god if my child is abducted and the guards know about a person attempting abductions and have not alerted the media AND the schools (not JUST the schools) I will be holding them responsibility.
    for my child's lack of safety.
    That is just ridiculous. I cannot believe it. I am not happy. How do you guys know this?
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    The garda are going to be hoping to catch the perps and won't have it in the media as a result to scare them off, as ever they garda tell the schools and the schools send notes home to parents thats how the system works.

How do you know this?

This is really upsetting me. What if your child goes to a school outside the area and is just visiting the area. Surely parents need to be alerted though the media and not just schools?????
    Quality wrote: »
    I believe that the same guy tried to abduct more children from Julianstown CO Meath recently from this link

Link

I've seen this on FB and I've ignored it as scaremongering. I want news like this to come through the police and communicated outward through the media not [EMAIL="blo@dy"]blo@dy[/EMAIL] facebook. I'm in shock. I live in Dublin and could bring my child on holidays to any other county in Ireland and because we are not in the school in that county I won't know about attempted abductions. This just does not make sense to me??!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Seriously guys, why only heed the warning if the statement has been released by the gardai? Does it take for a child to be actually snatched before people will listen and think, oh maybe I should warn others to watch out for their kids???

I have heard from enough sources, experienced the fact that a 'creepy man' was caught taking pictures over the wall of my daughters playground, flashers in the local park, thats enough for me to think I need to watch my children.

And on the other hand, the gardai not contacting the media may indeed be the case that they dont want the perps to move along somewhere else, maybe they have leads that they are working on and media spreading the word would send this or these people to somewhere out of their jurisdiction where they havent a hope of finding them.

The way I see it is its no harm being extra careful on the kids, as I said before I am now taking all the kids my kids play with into the back garden on a daily basis, not only do I want my kids safe but I want them safe also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

How do I know, because this is how it's done, it's how it's always been done from when when I was in primary school, notes would come home with me for my parents and it's been the same for the last 8 years my eldest has been in school.

29651_1280533060307_1439472364_30623093_1393276_n.jpg

Heres another one...

Not far from where I grew up...

Fairly recent tooo...

Hopefully not based on hearsay or rumour as Diddler would like you to think, I would hope that when parents receive a letter like this home that they would take it seriously...

• Advertisement

I would hope that when parents receive a letter like this home that they would take it seriously...

But what if you don't get this letter home??? I holiday in Wexford & Galway every year. What if I arrive there completely unaware of attempted abductions in the area.

Facebook is all very well but it is impossible to know what is scaremongering and what is not with social networking nowadays - frankly they read to me like urban myths and spread ten million times faster than they used to before the internet. Why would the guards not just issue a statement through an official source???? The more I think about this situation the more I am stressing myself out.

listen am, I am not trying to frighten you or anyone on here. I have 3 kids myself and tbh, I think it is the people you are close to that pose more of a threat to your children than the man in the white van.

I just think people should be aware that this sort of thing does happen, Thankfully most of them are only attempted.

but I think awareness is important.. talking to your children and keeping them safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Seriously guys, why only heed the warning if the statement has been released by the gardai? Does it take for a child to be actually snatched before people will listen and think, oh maybe I should warn others to watch out for their kids???

Because it is a verifiable serious authenticatable source - not scaremongering, rumour & speculation

listen am, I am not trying to frighten you or anyone on here. I have 3 kids myself and tbh, I think it is the people you are close to that pose more of a threat to your children than the man in the white van.

I just think people should be aware that this sort of thing does happen, Thankfully most of them are only attempted.

but I think awareness is important.. talking to your children and keeping them safe.

Yes I know. And I really try not to be paranoid and listen to scaremongering stories but when I find out that the guards don't issue statements officially and it is the chinese whispers I should be listening to it just freaks me out.

Like a letter from the schools is great. But if I don't get this what do I do/who do I listen to/what do I rely on???

Does it take for a child to be actually snatched before people will listen and think, oh maybe I should warn others to watch out for their kids???

Does it take for a child to be actually snatched before the guards will say, oh maybe we should have warned through multiple channels not just schools???

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    Yes I know. And I really try not to be paranoid and listen to scaremongering stories but when I find out that the guards don't issue statements officially and it is the chinese whispers I should be listening to it just freaks me out.

Like a letter from the schools is great. But if I don't get this what do I do/who do I listen to/what do I rely on???

Then you go to the local garda station and ask there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

It's fine to take heed of warnings that you have heard on the parental telegraph but all I am looking for aswell is verification from an official source - i.e I want to know that the rumours are true.

Look at the D15 forum - rumours were abounding that a woman had been raped in a certain area.....this was not true - Gardai were actually searching for a murder weapon - imagine how many women were on alert to the possibility of a rapist being in their midst.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055921658

I just want information from verifiable official sources - is this too much to ask? This proves to me that there is a definite need to be extra vigilant.

Then you go to the local garda station and ask there.

I was thinking of this exactly!

I'm going to sleep on this. I've had a rough day and think a lot of emotions are getting on me. Will think about this more tomorrow.

Look children under the age of going to school should never be left unsupervised, those who are older and may be out to play on the road or going to the local shop thier parents will get the letters from the school when the school is alerted by the local garda.

It is a way of communicating directly to parents with out having to use the media and alert those who are doing this that the garda are on to them but it alerts parents and kids to be watchful so that there will be possible witnesses and descriptions for the garda to work from.

Look children under the age of going to school should never be left unsupervised, those who are older and may be out to play on the road or going to the local shop thier parents will get the letters from the school when the school is alerted by the local garda.

It is a way of communicating directly to parents with out having to use the media and alert those who are doing this that the garda are on to them but it alerts parents and kids to be watchful so that there will be possible witnesses and descriptions for the garda to work from.

very true, it is disappointing that schools do not interact with each other and let them know what has been reported to them but I guess the principals assume the parents will spread the word for them. I always let my neighbours know of anything I hear of, like when I got a letter from the playschool I told neighbours and my daughters school, these neighbours reported the incidents to their childrens schools also to make sure everyone was on watch out, its a community thing really, look out for each other. Mind, not once until this thread have I heard any ask for garda confirmation to convince them to watch over the kids, I'm not saying you guys wouldnt anyway but if there is the slightest bit of chance at all would you not say 'yes Ill be more vigilant?

The Gardai will have their reasons for not reporting to media and I am sure they would be very valid reasons, after all they are the only ones qualified to do their jobs and experienced enough to know what works and what doesnt so we have to trust them. I doubt any owuld be sitting in their offices saying they couldnt be bothered telling the media, sure it would come out when the predator is successful.

Reporting to the media is done outside of term time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

My cousin heard about abduction attempts in Kildare, Every effort should be made
    to find the culprits, It's very worrying in these times, It sounds very sinister.
    Parents have to be more viligant and cautious than ever before. Hopefully schools
    and the gardai have something planned to ensure maximum protection for children
    at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

very true, it is disappointing that schools do not interact with each other and let them know what has been reported to them but I guess the principals assume the parents will spread the word for them. I always let my neighbours know of anything I hear of, like when I got a letter from the playschool I told neighbours and my daughters school, these neighbours reported the incidents to their childrens schools also to make sure everyone was on watch out, its a community thing really, look out for each other. Mind, not once until this thread have I heard any ask for garda confirmation to convince them to watch over the kids, I'm not saying you guys wouldnt anyway but if there is the slightest bit of chance at all would you not say 'yes Ill be more vigilant?

The Gardai will have their reasons for not reporting to media and I am sure they would be very valid reasons, after all they are the only ones qualified to do their jobs and experienced enough to know what works and what doesnt so we have to trust them. I doubt any owuld be sitting in their offices saying they couldnt be bothered telling the media, sure it would come out when the predator is successful.
    Well said SmelltheGlove, it is in my opinion as well 'community thing'. It is not a scaremongering excerise at all as proposed by others. If parents want to discuss and share, then that should be highlighted in communities from parents who are on the frontline.

This should be respected and looked at in this new information society that exists. If anything this new type of information should assist the gaurdai in their investigations.

Trust should be put back into the community really. The garda at the end of the day in my opinion should be looking more towards working with the community on these issues directly rather than being afraid of what the media thinks.

I have just received more info on this, my brother and his wife live in Ratoath. Last night a neighbour looked out her window to see an eastern european man with her son, now as I have heard it I will repeat, the man had started to kick around a ball with the boy, he then told the boy come on and well get ice cream, a vw passat was sitting in front of the ice cream van with a woman in it. The mother came out to get the son and the man ran to the car and sped off. Apparently Gardai are investigating, with shock the nmother didnt get the reg number. She then went to report to the school this morning and was told NOT to notify other parents as no real abduction attempt had been made since he had not laid his hands on the child.

The way I see it, its better that he didnt get his hands on the child but other parents should still be aware. As far as I recall, I was told the car was white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

every piece of the jigsaw is helpful. You just can't be too careful

• Advertisement

I have just received more info on this, my brother and his wife live in Ratoath. Last night a neighbour looked out her window to see an eastern european man with her son, now as I have heard it I will repeat, the man had started to kick around a ball with the boy, he then told the boy come on and well get ice cream, a vw passat was sitting in front of the ice cream van with a woman in it. The mother came out to get the son and the man ran to the car and sped off. Apparently Gardai are investigating, with shock the nmother didnt get the reg number. She then went to report to the school this morning and was told NOT to notify other parents as no real abduction attempt had been made since he had not laid his hands on the child.

The way I see it, its better that he didn't get his hands on the child but other parents should still be aware. As far as I recall, I was told the car was white.
    That is a very strange story. It was night time so why the ice cream van? The neighbour was observant enough to recall the car model and make and colour but not the reg? Surely if the parent in this case was concerned in this way then the reg would be very important to record?

Plus it almost can be read or 'heard' as an organised set up involving an ice cream van as the 'candy' trap. I'm not surprised that in this case the guards advised against it being publicised or put out as a potential abduction.

Something about this thread is not quite right.

Well when you figure it out pm the mods.
    People are posting in good faith so far and I don't see any scare mongering and if there is any it well be dealt with.

By the way we have an icecream van that comes around at 8pmish, it's not that unsual esp in summer months.

Well when you figure it out pm the mods.
    People are posting in good faith so far and I don't see any scare mongering and if there is any it well be dealt with.

By the way we have an icecream van that comes around at 8pmish, it's not that unsual esp in summer months.
    I am posting in good faith as well Thedydal. If there is a problem I will indeed PM the mods. I just pointed out some inconsistencies in the 'story' that I felt existed. Surely a counter argument is acceptable as to keep the opinions and potential 'scaremongering' on track and indeed worthy of discussion as such?

That is my opinion and I stand by it.

Ps I expected the Ice Cream summer van as a comeback, that was my only mistake and you picked it up;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

If I was in this situation as regards the ice cream van, I would notice what type of car it was (some people wouldnt know one from the other) but my first priority would be to go out and get my child rather than stop to take the reg number.

I would think thats a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why this mother didnt get it, and as he drove off pretty rapid there obviously wasnt an opportunity to take it once she had her son safe.

Pretty scary stuff, if there was even an inkling that something like this was going on I would want to know, I dont consider it scare mongering at all, better to be safe than sorry. We dont have to lock our kids away, we just have to be extremely vigilant and ensure that they remain under our watchful eye!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

Attempted Abduction in Tallaght last night, Drumcairn/Cuslawn area. Phone and Facebook been hoppin all morning! :mad: Dirt Birds! See my post here for bit more info...

Jennyfer wrote: »
    If I was in this situation as regards the ice cream van, I would notice what type of car it was (some people wouldnt know one from the other) but my first priority would be to go out and get my child rather than stop to take the reg number.

I would think thats a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why this mother didnt get it, and as he drove off pretty rapid there obviously wasnt an opportunity to take it once she had her son safe.

Pretty scary stuff, if there was even an inkling that something like this was going on I would want to know, I dont consider it scare mongering at all, better to be safe than sorry. We dont have to lock our kids away, we just have to be extremely vigilant and ensure that they remain under our watchful eye!

I am just confirming that this story is true as my sister knows the family of who this happened to. All Parents have been warned in the area about this .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Would these people really use their own registration plates and park up beside an ice-cream van .......?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

They'll do what ever it takes, be sure of that!

That is a very strange story. It was night time so why the ice cream van? The neighbour was observant enough to recall the car model and make and colour but not the reg? Surely if the parent in this case was concerned in this way then the reg would be very important to record?

Plus it almost can be read or 'heard' as an organised set up involving an ice cream van as the 'candy' trap. I'm not surprised that in this case the guards advised against it being publicised or put out as a potential abduction.

Firstly last night being a term of speech, 8pm is night and still bright and often we get ice cream vans up until 7ish which I would term as night, so sorry about the misuse of term of speech if it confuses you.

Anyway the gardai did not advise against it being spread, the school said no not to tell the other parents as hands werent placed and I am sure it would be easy enough to notice the car if the mother when taking her son witnessed the man jump into a car that had been parked in front of an ice cream van with a woman inside and speed off, A vw passat is a recogniseable enough car and white is a recogniseable enough colour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

The thread is right,Just heard like the OP from first post its happened in tallaght again today.Little girl approached.And like ops original link a blue car involved.
    Neighbour got a warning home today from playschool.
    We also got notes home last week to be vigilant for the attempts and same colour car involved. I opened a thread on this also.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055927589

Just from what i heard someone chased him away.Not sure how true that part is though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement