Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted abductions in Kildare/North Dublin [mod warning in effect #162 ]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

And during the course of that they make a mother and child out to be liars? It's not right!

I agree with you its not right.
    You saw the link i posted with the photo fit of the guy in swords? I never heard a word about him until crime line.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm SICK of this thread.

21st century version of chinese whispers imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Yeah, I didn't know it was on crimelime.

I called into my garda station this evening and was told 99% of these "stories" are not true. Spoke to a lovely gard and she said that when I see something on the news is when I should get really worried.

Like bloody hell, "blue car", "white van", "man looking over wall", "man shouting to children" but no child abducted (thank god!!!!)

Let's all take a rational look at this folks.

Yeah, I didn't know it was on crimelime.

Okay I did not know about crimeline. What was on crimeline?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

amdublin wrote: »
    I'm SICK of this thread.

21st century version of chinese whispers imo.

No one is making you read this thread, if it's bothering just don't click on it and read it.

I called into my garda station this evening and was told 99% of these "stories" are not true. Spoke to a lovely gard and she said that when I see something on the news is when I should get really worried.

Like bloody hell, "blue car", "white van", "man looking over wall", "man shouting to children" but no child abducted (thank god!!!!)

Let's all take a rational look at this folks.

Listen it might not worry you but when a man was caught on an 8ft wall taking pics of kids at MY daughters playschool no Chinese whisper there it didn't exactly sit well, when I spoke with my other daughters principal today on the phone I introduced myself as the mother who gave him the letter from the playschool, he told me the gardai claimed no such reports were made even though he had the letter from the playscho, which I gave him, in his hand. Now tell me, would you feel differently if you received such a letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Thaedydal wrote: »
    No one is making you read this thread, if it's bothering just don't click on it and read it.

Maybe it is being read out of concern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jibblybitsy

Attempting to abduct for a year.....they're persistent....or incompetent?

Or not true?

• Advertisement

Of course it is bothering me. That's why I am reading it :confused: And that is why I am CONFUSED and unhappy with it (the thread). And unsure what to believe and what to not.

BTW thanks for telling me to look at a thread called "attempted abductions in my area" and not to click on it and read it. Next time you see a thread that is entitled something that is related to you: don't click on it and read it.

Of course it is bothering me. That's why I am reading it :confused: And that is why I am CONFUSED and unhappy with it (the thread). And unsure what to believe and what to not.

My own experience calling the gardai today proved to me that they are denying it considering the rock solid proof I have in my daughters school and the neighbours close friend never mind the incident on my brothers road. The principal today advised that all we can do is spread the word and I'll tell you if telling a thousand people and putting up with a thousand doubters saves one child then I reckon we should all be spreading the word!

I am far from being an over possessive mother, I like my kids to go out and have fun, if they hurt themselves I tell them to get up, no cotton wool here but I have too many reasons now not to let them out! I will be over bearing if I have to until these people are caught because it's netter than the possible alternative isn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I live in Tallaght and there has been a number of sightings of strangers in white vans in recent days. I've also heard form neoghbours that some of these indeed have been seen near schools. You can never be too careful. It's wse enough to keep the kids inside or certainly under supervision until this all blows over. Perhaps we can start a group to share info on sightings so that we are all alert to the danger all around us?

I live in Tallaght and there has been a number of sightings of strangers in white vans in recent days. I've also heard form neoghbours that some of these indeed have been seen near schools. You can never be too careful. It's wse enough to keep the kids inside or certainly under supervision until this all blows over. Perhaps we can start a group to share info on sightings so that we are all alert to the danger all around us?

Head to Facebook, you'll find plenty of groups like this.

I have just logged on to FB, to find my best friend with the following status

Child abduction attempts have been made all over Dublin in the last few weeks!
    lots of schools closed for the week so the teachers can do a child protection course.
    Garda are advising children only play in the back yard and not to be left unsupervised.
    attempts made in Liffey Valley yesterday Blanchardstown yesterday and Finglas today.
    folks please spread the work and keep your eyes peeled

What a loaded generic informationless message. Puts the fear of god in you.....but doesn't give any helpful info, facts or useful details. This is turning in to mass hysteria.

It is just a big load of rumour and speculation.

These rumours have been going around on the internet and by mouth for years.

Even look at what the above post says - they warn of strangers in white vans - what is so scary about this, or why should parents be scared of a man in a van.......No wait.....these strangers in white vans have been spotted near schools!!!!!! Shock! Horror!!!!

Should we ban all men in white vans from driving within a mile radius of schools???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hacked off.

Likewise we were informed by Lucan gardai,that recent abduction attempts were rumours on Wed evening..However I can verify from police source and parents that there have been not only several attempts but that another man was arrested on Wed for attempting to get a secondary pupil from St Joesphs into his car.It took police over 2 hours to respond to this but luckily parents took his picture while he hurled abuse at them.Police knew him and arrested him later.While I get that police do not want to cause hysteria or give out information in case it's these sicko's enquiring,I feel this is not good enough.The only information we had was text from school re talking to our children about strangers.We need to know what and how many individuals we are dealing with.So far its been reported 3 cars,red silver and blue,I know of 3 including little boy in Laraghcon attempts,how many more will it take till we are informed of this evil in our community!

If you read the proper links from the first post and from the letter i received from the school and my neighbour received from her playschool.The same colour car has been linked to the attempts that have happened over the last few weeks.
    I don't take it lightly when a school sends home letters,this means they are taking is seriously.
    There is ofc not as many as been said here.(At least i hope not)
    I wont fob it off and say its Chinese whispers,as i assure you its not.
    I don't lie and most definitely would not lie about anything like this.
    My next door neighbour works as a secretary in a school in clondalkin and a young first year,reported a man offering her sweets and asking her to get in the car.She ran straight into the school and reported it.
    This is not Chinese whispers.
    Nothing wrong with opening eyes and ears and been vigilant and warning your kids, to not listen to strangers or accept sweets or to go next to a car when someone pulls up to ask for directions.
    Adults should not be asking kids for directions nor offering kids sweets,that in itself is suspicious.
    Not hysteria.I don't get hysterical,Its called passing information and taking care of yoru children,rather that then ignore it and say its rumours,but god help us if they do succeed because alot of parents don't watch their kids.
    Like serial killers child abductors and pedophiles have their type of child they go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

I do agree that not all these stories are true (some absolutely are though), and we do get a bit frenzied when something like this begins to circulate but as parents we want to pass on the info we've heard JUST INCASE there might be some truth to it, nobody wants to hear a child has been abducted.

About 2 years ago my son and his friend were out playing around midday, only age 4 at the time and I was standing at my front door keeping an eye on them. A white transit van drove in with 2 men in it, we live in like a circular cul-de-sac and the van drove up to the top, stopped and the guy in the passenger seat took a photograph of the kids. I ran out and the van drove straight past and out of the estate. My neighbour had also seen, we rang the Gards, didnt get the full reg no of the van, the year and the County is all. The Gards came up and had a drive around and that was the last I heard of it.

Now I consider that dodgy behaviour and I can understand that the Gards dont want to cause mass hysteria but the majority of people dont hear about all these incidents, and wont hear anything in the news or any warnings until a child is actually abducted. So while I keep an open mind when I hear any stories like this, based on my own experience I would be reluctant to immediately rubbish them as chinese whispers, over active imaginations etc.

Obviously everyone who is repeating these stories think they are true and they are doing it out of concern for all children.

However, these rumours get legs.

Are we really to believe that there are attempted abductors working an area from Tallaght to Lucan to Ratoath to North County Dublin for the past year????????

If this was really true would the Gardai really be denying this is going on?

C'mon folks, these are internet rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

• Advertisement

Jennyfer wrote: »

At last a report by a verifiable news source!

Is this what started the alert and sparked all the rest of the rumours?

Thanks for that.

At last a report by a verifiable news source!

Is this what started the alert and sparked all the rest of the rumours?

Thanks for that.

No its not it happened in Newcastle also in Tallaght and Clondalkin.
    Did you not read they sent out letters week before last in Newcastle area and again in tallaght areas?
    They had been reported incidents in the schools and the letters subsequently sent out.
    Schools do not send out letters unless they are advised to;)

So I'm updating quick enough here ad I text the local mammies in my phone. Turns out the neighbours friend lives in laraghcon so she called her to warn her, only she didn't realise it was this lasts child!

So the mother of the boy was understandably upset, she said the school had only today given a talk about the bad men. The boy was playing when he was approached by a car of 3 or 4 men, a blue car I am told, a man tells him he's mammies friend and she asked them to pick the boy up. Fresh in his mind from school he ran!

I'm sorry to say this guys but this seems to me to be a gang, multiple cars, large variety of areas, it's all getting a bit scary now!

http://www.irishkop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=346053

Here it is saying it was a todler in Laraghon. What is true and what is a rumour?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

How about someone scans these letters so we can exactly what was sent ?

http://www.irishkop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=346053

Here it is saying it was a todler in Laraghon. What is true and what is a rumour?

Unless there was another case it was an 8/9 yr old boy, second class, school buddy of my neighbour. I called the gardai myself and not only did they deny it, they denied the incident in my daughters school until I told them I was a parent in the school and had a chat with the teacher about it, when I quizzed more about the laraghcon incident they said it was just a situation of a man shouting out a car window whilst the mother of the child says the gardai were in her house taking descriptions of the men in the car.

Also the ratoath incident was on my brothers street so there's 3 incidents I have rock solid info on so let me tell you, I have no doubt in my mind.

Yes stories have legs, which is why going from person to person descriptions may vary along the way but the ones I have quoted I have told word for word so as not to misinform at all, these are real cases and I am disgusted they are being denied by a force who should be protecting us!

How about someone scans these letters so we can exactly what was sent ?

I can't scan mine as I gave it to the principal of my other daughters school but I guarantee mine is 100% true!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i drive a white van. Where I drive, I doubt anyone would recognise me, so I'm a stranger in a white van. in a built up area often. lock me up, I'm clearly a danger to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Stop with the snarky replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

its not a snarky reply, its in direct relation to a post where someone says that strangers have been seen driving white vans in tallaght, sometimes near schools. Like its a strange occurrence. there is thousands of white vans on the road and thousands of strangers driving them, especially in built up areas like tallaght. there's being vigilant and then there's just outright paranoia.

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    its not a snarky reply, its in direct relation to a post where someone says that strangers have been seen driving white vans in tallaght, sometimes near schools. Like its a strange occurrence. there is thousands of white vans on the road and thousands of strangers driving them, especially in built up areas like tallaght. there's being vigil and then there's just outright paranoia.

You aren't going to be suspected of anything unless you are hanging around with no reason or trying to talk to kids,now are you.
    No one is saying anything about white vans.Someone jumped in there with white van stuff.
    Personally haven't heard a word about a white van,car has been blue around the tallaght and Newcastle and Naas area so far.
    They are merely passing on information so that parents can be vigilant and pay attention to any one who is acting suspicious.
    If you aren't then what you care if parents are watching their kids a with a little more caution.

If you think rumours why you worried what we think,if you don't want to listen then don't.Not like we are telling anyone else's kids or trying to force you to believe what you don't want to,we are as parents and a community discussing what information we have been given.
    And i would rather that then ignore it and say nothing.

Still doesnt change the fact i personally recieved the letter from the school and my neighbour from another school also,among my sister in her area.
    Schools do not print off letters in that many schools with out reason for concern.

And before anyone asks i have no scanner to show you the letter,sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement