Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted abductions in Kildare/North Dublin [mod warning in effect #162 ]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

Ive just had a phone call from my mother who's at bingo saying someone ran in saying that a 7 year old boy has been abducted in the Crumlin area I think? Dont know any more than that, could turn out to be false, thats all Ive heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Jennyfer wrote: »
    Ive just had a phone call from my mother who's at bingo saying someone ran in saying that a 7 year old boy has been abducted in the Crumlin area I think? Dont know any more than that, could turn out to be false, thats all Ive heard.

I'm not a betting woman but I would bet €1000 right now, that this turns out to be false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

This is starting to drive me a nuts.

I have raised my child to be guarded but not fearful, yet that seems to matter not a jot any more. He is regularly told by teachers/other adults that there are boogy men out waiting to grab him the second he finds himself alone.

I think the schools are acting a little irresponsibly in informing the children every time a new rumour begins to circulate. We're projecting our paranoia onto them, so that they grow up suspicious of everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

diddledum wrote: »

I have raised my child to be guarded but not fearful, yet that seems to matter not a jot any more. He is regularly told by teachers/other adults that there are boogy men out waiting to grab him the second he finds himself alone.

I think the schools are acting a little irresponsibly in informing the children every time a new rumour begins to circulate. We're projecting our paranoia onto them, so that they grow up suspicious of everyone.

Schools do not ever circulate letters unless they have been asked to do so by the gardai.I worked in schools,and it is not in their practice to send out letters without Gardai advising them to do so.

caseyann wrote: »
    Schools do not ever circulate letters unless they have been asked to do so by the gardai.I worked in schools,and it is not in their practice to send out letters without Gardai advising them to do so.

I am not telling a lie when I say I can't count the amount of times my little guy has returned home to say the teacher was telling them they ought to watch out as there were reports of attempted abductions. It really doesn't matter whether there's a letter issued home, the damage is done, the child is automatically suspicious.

I'm sure other parents must hear the same from their children.

• Advertisement

I am not telling a lie when I say I can't count the amount of times my little guy has returned home to say the teacher was telling them they ought to watch out as there were reports of attempted abductions. It really doesn't matter whether there's a letter issued home, the damage is done, the child is automatically suspicious.

I'm sure other parents must hear the same from their children.

That is very unprofessional of that teacher,not once have i ever heard of a teacher doing that.And they also are not allowed to.

The things that i and few other parents are writing about are proper letters and do not go out unless they are sure something to be cautious about.
    I dont see kids panicking,letters are sent out so parents can be informed and so they can make their children aware.How people handle how their children take it,is not fault of what we are discussing here.

amdublin wrote: »
    I'm not a betting woman but I would bet €1000 right now, that this turns out to be false.

I hope so.

The things that i and few other parents are writing about are proper letters and do not go out unless they are sure something to be cautious about.

But what is "something to be cautious about"

Apparently:
    - white vans
    - blue vans
    - man standing on wall: maybe he was a parent??
    - man "trying to abduct child in Laraghcon" which turned into "man shouted at child".

Do we know what was shouted; Anybody think he was maybe warning the child about a danger? Anybody think he was maybe shouting at the child telling to stop doing something bold? No, he was shouting so everyone immediately thinks he's looking to abuct the child.

WTH is going on with everyone these days???? We all need to take a step back and take a reality check.

Jennyfer wrote: »
    I hope so.

Yes so do I.

But the fact that this rumour was posted 1 hour and 5 minutes ago and there is nothing on the news/radio/tv/internet yet I am more confident it is not true.

That is very unprofessional of that teacher,not once have i ever heard of a teacher doing that.And they also are not allowed to.

I dont see kids panicking,letters are sent out so parents can be informed and so they can make their children aware.How people handle how their children take it,is not fault of what we are discussing here.

Well it as happened and not just once.

I realise the motivation for starting the thread, there were some attempted abductions which the poster wanted to make parents aware of and kudos to them for that. Off the back of this however, comes many unsubstantiated reports and then the rumour mill goes into full swing. You have parents then insisting on chaperoning their kids everywhere and yes the children will naturally be suspicious.

In the past week, I've had calls from both friends and family to tell me to be vigilant and I actually find this quite patronising. I realise their intentions are noble but it still gets to me.

• Advertisement

Apparently:
    - white vans
    - blue vans
    - man "trying to abduct child in Laraghcon" which turned into "man shouted at child".

Do we know what was shouted; Anybody think he was maybe warning the child about a danger? Anybody think he was maybe shouting at the child telling to stop doing something bold? No, he was shouting so everyone immediately thinks he's looking to abuct the child.

WTH is going on with everyone these days???? We all need to take a step back and take a reality check.

I am not talking about lucan i have no clue what happened in Lucan if you would care to take time and read what i said,then come back and jump down my throat;)

I'm not talking about Lucan specifically on it's own either. I am generalising all of the rumours together. I am sorry you felt I was jumping down your throat :confused: that was not my intention;)

Well it as happened and not just once.

I realise the motivation for starting the thread, there were some attempted abductions which the poster wanted to make parents aware of and kudos to them for that. Off the back of this however, comes many unsubstantiated reports and then the rumour mill goes into full swing. You have parents then insisting on chaperoning their kids everywhere and yes the children will naturally be suspicious.

In the past week, I've had calls from both friends and family to tell me to be vigilant and I actually find this quite patronising. I realise their intentions are noble but it still gets to me.

Ofc you would be as its scary thought,no one wants to believe it.And dont want their children worried,and no adult should be taking that upon themselves to inform someone elses child without permisson. I only added on to the thread because we got the letters home and neighbours also.And my neighbour works in school were it had been reported last week also.In that report he asked her,if she wanted a lift and offered her sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Are you making me out to be a liar???

A man standing on an 8 ft wall taking pics of kids who then runs away when staff see him and try to chase him is highly unlikely to be a parent never mind the fact that the staff know all parents!!!

Mam shouting at child is the Garda version mother and childs version is a man trying to coerce a child into a car!

I am an honest person, I take the welfare of my kids very seriously and I do not appreciate being cast as a liar!

I am an honest person, I take the welfare of my kids very seriously and I do not appreciate being cast as a liar!

No I am not calling you a liar

I take the welfare of my child very seriously as well. I think it's obvious we all do. My point is that I just do not know what to believe anymore.... :( I just don't want to have to go down the route of protecting my child from EVERYTHING just because "better safe than sorry". All these stories are not helping me and not helping my child. Aren't there enough real dangers out there without us all getting paranoid about all these rumours which at the moment are adding up to Nil.

Btw just wondering when was the last abduction/kidnap/murder in Ireland?? Abductions tend to be people you know (father/mother etc) more than strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

The kids on my road were all talking about kidnapper today and Playing a game of what to do if the kidnapper comes!

They were running about in circles, so obviously a lot of worried parents in the area talking to their kids at the moment!

Quality wrote: »
    The kids on my road were all talking about kidnapper today and Playing a game of what to do if the kidnapper comes!

They were running about in circles, so obviously a lot of worried parents in the area talking to their kids at the moment!

:( Lovely! Just lovely! :rolleyes:

Okay I am going to bow out of this discussion now. I think I will just have to agree to disagree. I don't like to hear the above ^^^^^ and I certainly don't want my child playing this game but no doubt there will be others who come on saying "well it is good they are prepared" etc etc.

Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I actually thought it was funny! They were making so much noise I came out to see if they were ok!

They certainly got my attention!

Buy I was a bit disappointed when I offered them all sweets and they said yes!

All these stories are not helping me and not helping my child. Aren't there enough real dangers out there without us all getting paranoid about all these rumours which at the moment are adding up to Nil.

By including the man on the wall in your posts referring to rumours you are putting doubt on my integrity. This is of real concern to me, maybe not you but the thought of a paedophile having an image of any child never mind my own sickens me, how that amounts to nothing in your book I cant completely understand. Had I not given the letter to the principal of my other daughters school I would of course upload it here because honestly I think it is of serious concern.

If you feel that people like me, who have first hand experience of strange goings on of late are not helping you or your child then what exactly is your interest in this thread? I mean you obviously dont believe me when I say that a man was caught photographing the children and ran away from staff when you still refer to the situation as a story or rumour, it is actually a FACT no matter what the Gardai try to tell you, again I have already stated in this thread my experience quizzing a noble member of AGS on Thursday to be told there was no such incident and backtrack when I said I knew there was as I was a parent there.

Yes maybe the Gards are trying to prevent hysteria but some of us would rather encourage safety, there isnt a big bad man around every corner or in every white van, obviously not, but it is also quite clear that there is someone going around with intent and nione of us know where this oerson/people are at any time of the day so we should be careful and be on the watch out. If you do not want to listen to the warnings fair enough.

I do understand that there will be some rumours etc and exagerations of each story that goes around and I have already stated that I report as I am told, I trust my brother not to lie to me about this, I trust my neighbour when she is shaking telling me of her friends exoerience and I certainly trust my daughters teacher when she tells me of an encounter at the school, if you do not trust me fair enough, you dont know me but please do not publicly doubt my integrity.

By including the man on the wall in your posts referring to rumours you are putting doubt on my integrity. This is of real concern to me, maybe not you but the thought of a paedophile having an image of any child never mind my own sickens me, how that amounts to nothing in your book I cant completely understand.

How do you know this man is a paedophile?????????????????????????????

Could he have been a photographer just taking natural photos of children playing?
    Could he have been a father who does not have a good relationship with his childs mother and just wanted a photo of his child?
    Could he have been an architect taking a picture of the school building?
    Could he have been a surveryor/valuer taking a picture of facilities in an area for a valuation?
    Could he have been a father collecting his child and just saw something natural and childlike happening and took a photograph to capture it?
    Could he have been a grandfather taking a photo of his grandchild?

A load of reasons of what this man could have been doing (these are just some off the top of my head) yet you assume he is a paedophile??? Believe you me, generally paedophiles want (and unfortunately FIND) photographs of a very different nature to fully clothed children playing in the school yard.

• Advertisement

I dont know he is a paedophile, I did say the thought of a paedophile having her image! operative word being THOUGHT either way he was a stranger taking pictures of young chikldren on private property, a very sneaky thing to do paedo or not.

Could he have been a photographer just taking natural photos of children playing?
    Could he have been a father who does not have a good relationship with his childs mother and just wanted a photo of his child?
    Could he have been a surveryor/valuer taking a picture of facilities in an area for a valuation?
    Could he have been a father collecting his child and just saw something natural and childlike happening and took a photograph to capture it?

A load of reasons of what this man could have been doing (these are just some off the top of my head) yet you assume he is a paedophile??? Believe you me, generally paedophiles want (and unfortunately FIND) photographs of a very different nature to fully clothed children playing in the school yard.

And he ran away when staff gave chase? What grand father,father or family member need to climb a wall to take pics? And then runs off?
    And surveyors would approach the school and get permission along with anyone else.
    Second off pretty sure all above need permission to do on ground that are private property.

And also another one you don't seem to recall,nets that search for particular kids.
    Have you not been paying attention to how many kids are missing in Ireland? And prime time the other night?

I called into my garda station this evening and was told 99% of these "stories" are not true. Spoke to a lovely gard and she said that when I see something on the news is when I should get really worried.

Like bloody hell, "blue car", "white van", "man looking over wall", "man shouting to children" but no child abducted (thank god!!!!)

Let's all take a rational look at this folks.

I just wanted to come back to this post you made earlier.
    So when the child goes missing :( please god doesn't happen is on the news then we worry about it?
    Did you see the link i posted about the guy on crime line,How long does it take them to get them things onto crime line? And not once did i hear mention of it on news.
    Explain that one?

Your response are more and more becoming nitpicking, I notice you edited this response after my last reply so I will go through this one last time.

THE MAN RAN FROM STAFF AFTER BEING ON AN 8FT WALL TAKING PICTURES OF CHILDREN IN A RPIVATE YARD

I am a photographer and I can tell you all photographers know that photographing private property needs permission.

Staff know the parents of the children, along with the fact that I am sure one of the kids would have said oh its daddy if he was a father.

Do you think an architect would run away? Never mind the fact that the school is surrounded by private housing all sides but the front, the man entereed through the side of a house backing onto the school, the house had a skip by the wall which he climbed onto, this house also is the home to 5 children as far as I am aware.

Again, run away from staff???

The garden is completely secluded. The school also has a parents room to encourage parents to come in and spend time there if needed when there would be plenty of time to take pictures.

A grandfather on an 8ft secluded wall???

I ASSUME??? Are you a mind reader??? I said the THOUGHT of a paedo having my daughters pics makes me sick, it could have been a paedo, it could have been someone looking for a child for anything but the fact of the matter is a stranger trespassed in order to take pictures of children! I take pictures 3-4 days a week of children, I zoom in very close sometimes to remove a spot of dirt etc etc I know what an image can show and I wouldnt want anyone having an image of my child that they obtained unlawfully, and yes it was unlawful as they took images of people on private property that was not in view of a public area.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

Better that they have the information then not, better if they are a little suspicious of strangers and to have awareness.

If 99% arent true, Im still more than happy as a parent to sift through them all in order to be aware of the 1% that are true to be honest.

Maybe, just maybe, the reason there has been no actual abduction is because of our increased awareness. Just because it hasnt happened doesnt mean there arent people trying.

We are all aware that not all of these reports turn out to be true, but it certainly wont hurt to remind our children to be careful and keep it in our minds.

If you are only interested in confirmed by the Gardai facts then wait the 4 or more weeks it takes to hear it on Crimeline, like I said I'll happily take the 99% false ones in order to hear the 1% true ones in the meantime.

caseyann, I talked to my son this evening and he told me that they had been discussing the Lucan case in school this morning in prayer time. There really is no need for letters, the children are already receiving the message in school.

cruizer22b wrote: »
    Better that they have the information then not, better if they are a little suspicious of strangers and to have awareness.

Completly agree with you.
    I pulled the links to put into one thread that have been reported on.
    Think we should add a few links of stories reported in papers,to show sceptical people it is happening all over the place.

This happened in march gone.
    Bray
    http://www.braypeople.ie/premium/news/abductor-stopped-as-he-led-girl-away-2122612.html

Swords

http://www.swordslife.com/news-for-swords-dublin/swords-news.asp?id=653&title=Attempted child abduction in Swords Dublin

I am assuming this is the same guy shown on crime line.
    And how long is it apart?

Naas
    http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Gardai-confirm-attempted-abduction-of.6304977.jp

Gardaí can not confirm anything unless they have more evidence.

It is better you be aware and the letters came out only because was advised to do so.For safey of the children.

caseyann, I talked to my son this evening and he told me that they had been discussing the Lucan case in school this morning in prayer time. There really is no need for letters, the children are already receiving the message in school.

The schools circulate letters to inform parents,and do not do so unless advised to do so and confirmed with Gardai,there is a need.

That's good,but whats that got to do with what i said?

Fair enough a chat on how to be careful,but they should not be telling kids anything other then how to be safe.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement