Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted abductions in Kildare/North Dublin [mod warning in effect #162 ]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

caseyann wrote: »
    The schools circulate letters to inform parents,and do not do so unless advised to do so and confirmed with Gardai,there is a need.

That's good,but whats that got to do with what i said?

Fair enough a chat on how to be careful,but they should not be telling kids anything other then how to be safe.

That's not exactly what's happening in my son's school, the children are openly discussing incidents which haven't actually been substantiated. I think that's wrong.

I'm not sure why you keep informing me of the of the grounds for letters being issued by schools.

My thinking is that most of what we are hearing is rumour, our children are no less safe then they were a month ago. Yes we should be careful, but that should always be the case. I certainly think that by clearing the streets of children and confining them to indoors or back garden is extreme and unhealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

diddledum wrote: »
    That's not exactly what's happening in my son's school, the children are openly discussing incidents which haven't actually been substantiated. I think that's wrong.

I'm not sure why you keep informing me of the of the grounds for letters being issued by schools.

My thinking is that most of what we are hearing is rumour, our children are no less safe then they were a month ago. Yes we should be careful, but that should always be the case. I certainly think that by clearing the streets of children and confining them to indoors or back garden is extreme and unhealthy.

They are wrong to discuss anything with kids they should only teach them to be careful.I would if you are not happy about it make a complaint if they are scaring your child.

That's your decision,working in a school i know how it works.If there was no grounds to be worried they would not have sent out them letters of concern.

Where did i say anything about locking kids in house or anything like it?

You are blowing this out of proportion,the hysterical people are not the ones who are discussing it and posting what information they are getting.The people who are freaking out and shouting Chinese whispers and coming here and don't believe it,but still insist on trying to make us stop talking about it and sharing information are the hysterical ones,imo.

How you child is getting that information is wrong,and in my child's school isn't happening like that younger members are informed to be careful and don't get in cars or take things from strangers to go straight to their parents or wait inside school gates with teachers.Older kids are told not to tell the younger kids anything.
    I dint see terrified panicking kids anywhere.

Ofc some of what you are hearing is people hearing rumours.My and few of the other posters are first hand letters and confirmation,to be weary and inform your child and be vigilant and to contact Gardai if you see anything suspicious.And i will be listening to the letter i received not the people who think its been hysterical to be careful and take a document from a school serious,when i know for a fact they don't send them out if not needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Jennyfer wrote: »
    Artical
    Parents on high alert after spate of abduction attempts
    Streets of fear: Shock and anger as driver tries to snatch young girls

Horror: Parents have been warned of abduction attempts after an attempt to take a child from Scoil Chaitriona in Artane

Horror: Parents have been warned of abduction attempts after an attempt to take a child from Scoil Chaitriona in Artane

By Conor Feehan

Saturday May 29 2010

A spate of abduction attempts in north Dublin has left residents petrified.

In the past week there have been at least four reports of girls being targeted outside schools and shops in Finglas and Artane.

The latest reports follow similar alleged attempted abductions in Naas and Swords.

In Finglas, a man in what was described as a silver car, allegedly tried to snatch three different girls, the first incident being on Tuesday and the other two on Thursday.

Meanwhile in Artane, a school has sent a text alert to parents reminding them to tell their children not to approach strangers in cars.

"There was a reported incident of a girl being grabbed at around the Griffith Park area in Finglas on Tuesday," said one concerned parent.

"Then a seven-year-old was nearly taken on Thursday outside a shop on Ballygall Road. The gardai were informed and began interviewing witnesses when they were then alerted of another attempted snatch half an hour later not too far away," the dad added.

"Obviously the message needs to get out there to parents and children that they need to be very careful."

Gardai have said their investigations into the reports are ongoing.

Meanwhile, a sinister attempt to abduct a child from an Artane primary school has led to calls for pupils and parents to be vigilant about strangers offering lifts to youngsters.

The worrying incident happened this week when a third-class pupil was believed to have been approached by a man driving a blue car who said he was a friend of the family and had already been to her house.

The specific targeting of the girl, and the nature of the attempt to lure her into the vehicle by trying to gain her trust, has frightened parents. The school has circulated a warning message by text.

The girl is a primary pupil of Scoil Chaitriona in Artane, but other children from other schools could also become targets, it is feared. "Parents, please be vigilant regarding children being offered lifts by strangers," the text massage from the school reads.

"A child was offered a lift by man in blue car who said he was a friend of the family and had been in the child's house. The child was safe, but ensure children do not get into cars, even if the person says they know the family well," it continues.

Scoil Chaitriona school principal Maire Bennett confirmed that a message had been sent to parents in relation to what was being seen as an attempted abduction but would not elaborate further.

Gardai said no attempted abduction in the area had been reported to them, and as such the matter was not under official investigation.

However, parents today expressed their concerns, saying they were now walking their children to the school door and collecting them from the same point every day.

"Whoever this is is obviously trying very hard to get the confidence of the children by saying he is a friend of the family, and trying to figure out his motives would sicken you," said one mother.

"We can't rest until this person is caught. My big fear is that he will disappear now until the worry dies down, and then come back out when people don't expect it."

"If your kids aren't safe going to school where are they safe?" asked another concerned lady.

"We only heard about it yesterday by text and it gave us a terrible fright," said another mother.

cfeehan@herald.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Ballygall road refers to the letter I posted earlier in the week from sacred heart school.

Griffith road is not to far from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

The below is all the places that are noted in this thread as having an attempted abduction take place.

Kilteel
    Swords
    Newbridge
    Celbridge
    Saggart, Rathcoole, Brittas Area
    Lucan
    Julianstown Meath
    Ratoath
    Tallaght
    Clondalkin
    Crumlin
    Bray
    Naas
    Artane
    Finglas

It appears like quite an epidemic to me.

Quite amazing that the Gardai haven't come out with official warnings or indeed put the county on lockdown with a curfew.

These would be kidnappers are really getting around - you might say that they are getting around as quick as an internet rumour ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I just logged in and clicked on "Last page" of this thread. The first thing I saw as I scrolled was this:

When I saw the poster's name I actually started shaking. I honest to god thought that this was a response to the post below and my queries on it/remarks about betting it would not be true .
    Ive just had a phone call from my mother who's at bingo saying someone ran in saying that a 7 year old boy has been abducted in the Crumlin area I think? Dont know any more than that, could turn out to be false, thats all Ive heard.

My heart was in my mouth, as I said already I was shaking and I thought oh dear god no, a child really has been abducted.

Anyway no it wasn't. (THANK GOD)

Does anyone know about this story: as per above, someone's mother was at bingo and someone ran in saying a boy had been abducted. Is this true or not????

Smelltheglove: those were just examples I thought of off the top of my head. Coulda woulda shoulda. Yes of course an architect/surveryor should get permission from a school. But how about the person/photographer was initially doing something innocent/just didn't think about it and as soon as someone chased him it just clicked with him "eek this doesn't look good" and instinct just made him run. Yes crazy I know. But hey equally crazy I could assume he was definitely a paedophile looking for pictures of children in their clothes (Yes, I know now, you did not say you thought he was a paedophile - sorry for taking it up as that - I am saying that as a theory (mine), like my other theories).

Everyone else: I get it. This thread is just to warn people to keep their kids safe. Well you know what. I kept my child safe before this thread full of (come on let's call a spade a spade) stories that have been passed on from children (yes some of them sound childish!) to parents to friends of parents to grandparents back to parents and on to internet forum etc etc.

And you know what I will keep my child safe after this thread as well. I don't need to read stories which frankly, at the begining scared the sh1t out of my but now frankly have gone far beyond that and have turned a little farsical for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

That evening herald article seems to be heavily based on this thread. the only line from gardaí in it is "investigations are ongoing".

I was talking to a mate from Dublin last night who works with a school.Apparently, last week, a man, not recognised by any of the other parents was spotted loitering outside the school. The Gardaí were called, and arrived. he was arrested.
    He was an uncle of one of the students, and had been living away in Australia, and was waiting to surprise his niece.

zuroph wrote: »
    That evening herald article seems to be heavily based on this thread. the only line from gardaí in it is "investigations are ongoing".

Yes and investigations into the reports not investigations into the attempted abductions are ongoing.

amdublin wrote: »
    I just logged in and clicked on "Last page" of this thread. The first thing I saw as I scrolled was this:

When I saw the poster's name I actually started shaking. I honest to god thought that this was a response to the post below and my queries on it/remarks about betting it would not be true .

My heart was in my mouth, as I said already I was shaking and I thought oh dear god no, a child really has been abducted.

Anyway no it wasn't. (THANK GOD)

Does anyone know about this story: as per above, someone's mother was at bingo and someone ran in saying a boy had been abducted. Is this true or not????

Smelltheglove: those were just examples I thought of off the top of my head. Coulda woulda shoulda. Yes of course an architect/surveryor should get permission from a school. But how about the person/photographer was initially doing something innocent/just didn't think about it and as soon as someone chased him it just clicked with him "eek this doesn't look good" and instinct just made him run. Yes crazy I know. But hey equally crazy I could assume he was definitely a paedophile looking for pictures of children in their clothes (Yes, I know now, you did not say you thought he was a paedophile - sorry for taking it up as that - I am saying that as a theory (mine), like my other theories).

Everyone else: I get it. This thread is just to warn people to keep their kids safe. Well you know what. I kept my child safe before this thread full of (come on let's call a spade a spade) stories that have been passed on from children (yes some of them sound childish!) to parents to friends of parents to grandparents back to parents and on to internet forum etc etc.

And you know what I will keep my child safe after this thread as well. I don't need to read stories which frankly, at the begining scared the sh1t out of my but now frankly have gone far beyond that and have turned a little farsical for me.

If you believe they are rumours,good for you.Question for you why are you trying to impose your opinion and views,on people who have received letter to confirm that there has been attempts made?
    You are basically calling schools who sent out the letters and the families who have reported it liars.

We aren't asking you to tell us what to believe and what not to believe are we?

Most people who's kids have been abducted have kept their kids safe and watch them,only take 3 seconds for a child to disappear.

p.s all of the areas shown to be where the attempts are could be three different people or a group working together.
    But one straight road links majority of them with no hassle and straight run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Just to clarify - I was taking the Pi$$ about the "white fans in tallaght" and setting up "alert groups" - i was outlining how generic inconsequential information when viewed from a suspicious stance fans the flames of the hysteria going on here, and how these types of morons have a tendency to flock together.

Congratulations cretins on your contribution to a suspicious and sex-focused society - we now have a society where unshaven fathers picking up kids are viewed with suspicion, where children are viewed as delicious sexual morsels ready to popped into the greasy jowls of every lacivious stranger. It's wonder we are able to move for all the "multiculturally influenced" children-as-commodity thinking perverts as they drive gibbering and masturbating round the streets looking for uncorralled little lovelies to drag away. Get a grip.

• Advertisement

Congratulations Dr Bolouswki you just got yourself a 1 week ban for insulting other members of the forum.

Please remember civil posting is expected on this forum and we have a zero tolerance for flaming and trolling. IF you are unsure what this means please consult the charter or the forum or the site FAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

For the doubters here, nobody is denying that rumours get spread, stories get exagerrated and hysteria can take place.

The fact of the matter is though reports have been made to gardai, even if they deny it, attempts have been made and letters of caution have been sent to parents. Some stories need to be taken with a pinch of salt which is why I have previously said there I'd one story I wouldn't bother repeating, having said all that, I do believe we need to be extra careful, there is not s pervert lurking on every corner and you know what these attempts may have nothing to do with a child sex ring but there is a danger at the moment and none of us know where exactly these people are at any given moment so we should be on the watch out.

Given all that I also believe a man being arrested for standing outside a school is over the top. If people were worried they could have waited around to see what he was doing and ensure there was no danger before jumping the gun and calling gardai, a level if cop on is required!

If you believe they are rumours,good for you.Question for you why are you trying to impose your opinion and views,on people who have received letter to confirm that there has been attempts made?
    You are basically calling schools who sent out the letters and the families who have reported it liars.

We aren't asking you to tell us what to believe and what not to believe are we?

Most people who's kids have been abducted have kept their kids safe and watch them,only take 3 seconds for a child to disappear.

p.s all of the areas shown to be where the attempts are could be three different people or a group working together.
    But one straight road links majority of them with no hassle and straight run.

A letter from a school does not confirm anything. you say that they will only send it on advice from the Gardaí, this is clearly not true, as the gardaí are denying the need for panic.

A principal of a school hears a story of an attempted abduction in a neghbouring village. I'd say its a safe bet the school would issue a letter of caution "just in case", after pressure from a few parents who heard the same rumour. Of course the school is going to avoid caution, if they don't the parents will mutiny!

A letter from a school does not confirm anything. you say that they will only send it on advice from the Gardaí, this is clearly not true, as the gardaí are denying the need for panic.

A principal of a school hears a story of an attempted abduction in a neghbouring village. I'd say its a safe bet the school would issue a letter of caution "just in case", after pressure from a few parents who heard the same rumour. Of course the school is going to avoid caution, if they don't the parents will mutiny!

Where has anyone said the Gardai said there should be panic????
    Where have i or anyone else said to panic? It was said caution and vigilance.

Who is panicking?

You are mistaken.

Where has anyone said the Gardai said there should be panic????
    Where have i or anyone else said to panic? It was said caution and vigilance.

Who is panicking?

You are mistaken.
    i didnt say that the gardaí said to panic. I said that they are saying the opposite, and that the rumours appear to be getting out of hand. for example, just last night someone reported that "someone ran into a bingo hall and said a 7 year old child had been abducted in crumlin". This is obviously a chinese whisper, spiralled probably from someone mentioning at bingo that they had heard that there was an attempt, then someone else hearing a child HAD been abducted, then the story spiralled into someone ran in to shout it. Like the first thing you'd do if oyu found out was run into a bingo hall to inform them. Today there is 40-50 grannies telling their kids that there was a child abducted, probably varying on the location aas their memory fails, and no1 is bothering to check the news before passing on the info. Now you have hundreds of parents who have heard the story and want to know why THEIR kids school isnt warning people about it. By the time it gets to a school they realise the story doesnt make sense since theres no missing kid, so the story reverts to an attempted abduction (after all The story HAD to come from somewhere, didnt it :rolleyes:) and the school issues a letter warning the parents.

before you know it, a misheard story in a bingo hall has turned into several attempted abductions across the county of dublin and beyond.

Yes rumours can spread like wild fire and grow in the telling but,
    better safe then sorry and it seems the garda have been in touch with schools
    so something is up and there is no harm in being extra careful for a while
    and going over with your children again the tenets of the stay safe program.

yes, but taking every story as genuine is creating hysteria, and preaching these stories as fact will end up in further arrests of innocent people. That poor man the other day was branded a suspected sex offender, and I will presume not many of the parents outside the school who accused him will take time to apologise.
    A bit of caution is fine, but some people on here are going way over the top and accusing the gardaí of lying and imcompetance, and taking everything they read in a rag like the herald as fact. Its the modern day equivilent of a witch hunt. And how many witches was there again??

And also another one you don't seem to recall,nets that search for particular kids.
    Have you not been paying attention to how many kids are missing in Ireland? And prime time the other night?

Good point. How many children are actually missing in Ireland/abducted by strangers?

I can only think of two off the top of my head: Philip Cairns and Mary Boyle. One was aprox 20 years ago and the other aprox 30 years ago. Are there a lot more that I am not aware of?

Primetime was scary alright. Different crime from from what we are discussing here though.

I'm just discussing a topic. Like I do on all other threads. I'm not trying to impose my view on anyone. Yes maybe trying to get people to question their view - equally I hope I am questioning mine. Impose: No.

i didnt say that the gardaí said to panic. I said that they are saying the opposite, and that the rumours appear to be getting out of hand. for example, just last night someone reported that "someone ran into a bingo hall and said a 7 year old child had been abducted in crumlin". This is obviously a chinese whisper, spiralled probably from someone mentioning at bingo that they had heard that there was an attempt, then someone else hearing a child HAD been abducted, then the story spiralled into someone ran in to shout it. Like the first thing you'd do if oyu found out was run into a bingo hall to inform them. Today there is 40-50 grannies telling their kids that there was a child abducted, probably varying on the location aas their memory fails, and no1 is bothering to check the news before passing on the info. Now you have hundreds of parents who have heard the story and want to know why THEIR kids school isnt warning people about it. By the time it gets to a school they realise the story doesnt make sense since theres no missing kid, so the story reverts to an attempted abduction (after all The story HAD to come from somewhere, didnt it :rolleyes:) and the school issues a letter warning the parents.

before you know it, a misheard story in a bingo hall has turned into several attempted abductions across the county of dublin and beyond.

And i asked you,where did anyone say that the Gardai said to panic? I dont recall making that statement i dont recall saying to anyone to bend their views to mine.I got a letter home i have been told it was genuine by the school and they keep in close contact about around my area.
    The schools ring the Gardai and will either tell them no there is no reason for concern,or yes we have concerns.And the schools then send letter out.They do not willy nilly send out a letter because they heard it from a parent or parents concerned approached them because what they heard.
    I worked in the system of schools and witnessed first hand,when such situations happen.They do not take it off their own back to send out letters if there is no reason for caution and no truth in whats been said.

That thing with crumlin is nothing to do with me so dont bring into the conversation.
    What i was told is truth and i connected the dot to this thread in Naas when i saw it as similar car and colour spotted in both situations.
    I did not say about any others that were true or not.
    But links were supplied.for swords and for bray and they are looking for someone,shown on crime line as i showed previous.
    The Gardai will not say what is what till they have further evidence.And they took a month to air it on tv once.I tell you what you wait for the Gardai and i believe what i want;)

Believe what you want i am not hysterical but getting sick of people trying to push their idea of Chinese whispers and making like schools are incompetent,when letters have been sent out.They are sent for a reason.
    And i would rather them send them to be careful then to be like yous and ignore it and brush it off as Chinese whispers:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm just discussing a topic. Like I do on all other threads. I'm not trying to impose my view on anyone. Yes maybe trying to get people to question their view - equally I hope I am questioning mine. Impose: No.

A discussion is when you hear what people have to say,and then give your view,and when facts are presented see them,and not say schools are incompetent and not call people liars in not so many words and say things are going into hysterical because others are paying attention and you are brushing it off as chinese whispers.

You have no right to try to impose or make anyone question anything.
    I am not trying to do it to you,so i would appreciate not trying to tell me anything ;)
    I wont question anything of my view because i seen alot of things in this life and nothing surprises me of anything anymore.

You keep your view i will keep mine,i am not trying to change yours and dont care much what they are.

A discussion is when you hear what people have to say,and then give your view,and when facts are presented see them,and not say schools are incompetent and not call people liars in not so many words and say things are going into hysterical because others are paying attention and you are brushing it off as chinese whispers.

I am not trying to do it to you,so i would appreciate not trying to tell me anything ;)
    I wont question anything of my view because i seen alot of things in this life and nothing surprises me of anything anymore.

You keep your view i will keep mine,i am not trying to change yours and dont care much what they are.

Facts

That's the thing. This thread is very short on facts. Big on "my neighbour said" and "I heard", etc., etc., though.

PS. I think it was the so called abductors that were called incompetent. In fairness, seemingly they have been attempting abductions for the past year or so but so far have not managed to actually carry out an actual abduction.

Further to this, these attempts have been going on for the last year but yet the Gardai don't seem one bit alarmed. Strange that!!!!

:eek:

I would define a discussion as an exchange of views. I've given my view. You obviously disagree with it. And that is fine! I'm not trying to impose my view on you :confused: It seems apparent from the above you're not going to change your mind anyway!

I listen to other people's views. Some I agree with. Some I do not. In this particular thread there is a lot I don't agree with it. That's fine! That's the thing about boards. Hey, that's the thing about life in general!

Good point. How many children are actually missing in Ireland/abducted by strangers?

I can only think of two off the top of my head: Philip Cairns and Mary Boyle. One was aprox 20 years ago and the other aprox 30 years ago. Are there a lot more that I am not aware of?

Primetime was scary alright. Different crime from from what we are discussing here though.

There is 452 children missing in ireland,disappearing at young ages.
    Two examples
    http://ie.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&LanguageCountry=en_IE&searchLang=en_IE&caseLang=en_IE&orgPrefix=IRGS&caseNum=MK15&seqNum=1

http://ie.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&caseNum=MK0935&orgPrefix=IRGS&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_IE&searchLang=en_IE

Then you go into ones who are missing in teen years,and on and on.

You want the answers do the research yourself.

http://ie.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&caseNum=MK905&orgPrefix=IRGS&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_IE&searchLang=en_IE

Rory aherne
    http://ie.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&caseNum=mk16&orgPrefix=IRGS&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_IE&searchLang=en_IE

Facts

That's the thing. This thread is very short on facts. Big on "my neighbour said" and "I heard", etc., etc., though.

PS. I think it was the so called abductors that were called incompetent. In fairness, seemingly they have been attempting abductions for the past year or so but so far have not managed to actually carry out an actual abduction.

Further to this, these attempts have been going on for the last year but yet the Gardai don't seem one bit alarmed. Strange that!!!!

I know nothing about a year or so and who knows what is going on perhaps they move up and down the country.

2006 skerries
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=CWIDGBSNMHSN

2009 naas
    http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Parents-urged-to-be-vigilant.5731538.jp

I meant abducted by a stranger. Eg. Madeleine McCann or in Ireland, Philip Cairns (20 years ago aprox) and Mary Boyle (aprox 30 years ago.)

The first three in your example are very obviously a family kidnapping (and the majority of the 452 I would wager)

The fourth example you quoted would be 42 now. He was 18 when went missing - once 18 you are entitled to go missing by your own free will. Plus it was from 1984.

How dangerous is stranger danger really???? I honestly can only think of the two abductions I've named (Philip C & Mary B).

Yes we can all find examples of children who are involved in domestic situations and have been abducted.

A link to someone who went missing in the 80's has no relevance to this thread.

Believe what you want.

I didnt ask for your opinions and i dont care what you think about mine.

I meant abducted by a stranger. Eg. Madeleine McCann or in Ireland, Philip Cairns (20 years ago aprox) and Mary Boyle (aprox 30 years ago.)

The first two in your example are very obviously a family kidnapping (and the majority of the 452 I would wager)

The third example you quoted would be 42 now. He was 18 when went missing - once 18 you are entitled to go missing by your own free will.

How dangerous is stranger danger really???? I honestly can only think of the two abductions I've named (Philip C & Mary B).

On the bottom if they feel it is family related they will tell you,other wise they wont.

p.s you dont know them kids and what their situation was,majority of them gone between young ages.I would say some trafficked some ran off and hiding and other could be dead.

• Advertisement

This thread is heading towards Conspiracy Theories I think!

Hey, anyone have an update on that child that was abducted last night?? You know, the one that wasn't reported via the media but was reported via bingo hall.

;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement