Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yet another NCT question.

• 20-05-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

I find myself in a pickle at the moment. Here is the situation:

I was pulled over for crossing a continous single white line.
    The garda issued me with 2 penalty points and asked me to produce my license insurance and nct. I produced my license and insurance but not the nct, for reasons as follows.

The car had just failed the nct and was waiting to be re-tested. It was still within the 30 day re-test period.

I have now received a summons for driving with no nct.

Will this stand up in court or was i within my rights to drive whilst waiting for the re-test?

All opinions sought.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

As long as the cert doesn't state the car was dangerous to drive I'd imagine it will be thrown out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 NC27

^^As above, but I would also make sure you have the car pass the NCT within the 28 days they gave you before you go to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Sounds like you had 30 days to get the car re-tested but you didn't actually have it booked in?
    You could've easily just rebooked the test and had the documentation that'd get you out of this predicament.

You could look at it very critically and say...

A guy with a car recently proven to be not roadworthy (failed NCT) is more of a risk than a guy with a recently expired NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Vertakill wrote: »
    ... not roadworthy (failed NCT)...
    Pretty big assumption, that. There's no reason given for the fail. The NCT is not a test of roadworthiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

blastman wrote: »
    Pretty big assumption, that. There's no reason given for the fail. The NCT is not a test of roadworthiness.
    ..yeah... apart from the fact it FAILED the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

blastman wrote: »
    The NCT is not a test of roadworthiness.

Erm.....it is actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

It is a roadworthiness test but there are 2types of fail. Fail/refusal 1 means that the car is unsafe to be driven. Fail refusal just means it needs to be sorted.
    As long as its not deemed unsafe to be driven then is legal to drive as long as car is booked in for a retest within 21 days.
    Reckon some of the garda dont understand the system. Lad I know got summoned for no NCT and Garda didnt even turn up in court. Thrown out due to this.....

Advertisement