Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Data Back up technique

• 20-05-2010 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

So my 1TB drive arrives tomorrow...
    I am wondering what is best, to back up what I think are critical files or to back up images of my hard drives which can be restored in the future??

If I back up an image of a drive is it easy to write this back to a new blank drive ??

Advice appreciated...

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Depends on what operating system you have on your computer. If you have windows 7, there is a very easy tool you can set up.

If you don't, i'm fond of clonezilla as a back up tool. It's a little nerdy, but once you get the hand of it, it's very easy to make images.

For me, I would back up my documents folder, perhaps the desktop. If you have mail stored locally on your computer you can do that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I use images as I find they are faster - both the initial backup and subsequent incrementals. I have my OS & data on separate partitions from the "disposable downloads" and temporary files as I don't see a need to back these up.

If somebody got their hands on the drive they would find the data is in an encrypted image. This should deter most people from bothering accessing it. Having files directly on the drive makes it just a bit too easy for snooping thieves.

I also store the drive off site (by taking it in to work) and I don't connect it to a PC. This covers against malware, viruses, theft, fire etc.

That's how I do it, but there are many different ways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Thanks guys...
    I'm running on Win XP..
    Will I also be able to back up my laptop onto the drive, it's also running Win XP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Of course, assuming you have less than 1Tb of data that needs to be backed up between the two computers.

Advertisement