Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone mounted a tv above the fireplace

• 20-05-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

My main question is were do you put the sky box dvd player and surround sound system if you do this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I have done it.

I had to chase a route for the cables and fit a connection box in the chimney breast near the TV to connect .
    Sky box and DVD stays on shelfs in the corner. Worked well and looks good after decorating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

If you want a decent viewing angle, don't put your tv above the fireplace, it's far too high for comfortable viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

agree with gsxr1.you can chase cables to any position you want.sometimes chimney will have a boxing at the side which you can bring wires down.i have put dvd/sky/surround sound in cabinets beside chimney breasts and also in rooms behind tv(using magic eye to control sky and infra red recievers to control dvd/surround sound)
    to wire tv you require
    2 scart cables
    1 co-ax cable
    2 hdmi leads
    2 phono-phono leads
    power for tv
    you can get 10 metre leads in powercity(they are the cheapest but others may say not highest quality)
    i have used them numerous times with no problem
    kdouglas also has a point,some people will not like this viewing angle but by using a tilting bracket you can reduce this.
    it will look well if you go for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

meercat wrote: »
    agree with gsxr1.you can chase cables to any position you want.sometimes chimney will have a boxing at the side which you can bring wires down.i have put dvd/sky/surround sound in cabinets beside chimney breasts and also in rooms behind tv(using magic eye to control sky and infra red recievers to control dvd/surround sound)
    to wire tv you require
    2 scart cables
    1 co-ax cable
    2 hdmi leads
    2 phono-phono leads
    power for tv
    you can get 10 metre leads in powercity(they are the cheapest but others may say not highest quality)
    i have used them numerous times with no problem
    kdouglas also has a point,some people will not like this viewing angle but by using a tilting bracket you can reduce this.
    it will look well if you go for it.

So just 1 co ax cable and a hdmi cable wont allow you to watch either analogue or sky/ntl digital then?

1 hdmi cable from the chimney breast back to the corner of the room where sky/ntl box,dvd player and game station would be and then all connected to the hdmi cable and to the tv via a hdmi splitter box or a scart to hdmi splitter box.

1 co ax for watching normal analogue if you dont want your sky or ntl on.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Or, one HDMI from TV to an AV amplifier (one with multiple HDMI and analogue inputs, one out for TV). That way, you'll have good surround sound also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Hi I've a guy coming over today to have a look. I got 1 5 mtr scart and 1 5 mtr hdmi.

I can use the hdmi for sky and xbox so just a matter off swapping wires from the console as I don't use it that much anyway

I've a gas fire so I was thinking of asking if it was possible to put a hole big enough for DVD player sky box n xbox just above fireplace below the tv.

I also got the tilting bracket.

I really like the idea off been able to put the 50 inch on the wall and get rid off the massive stand.

Do you defo not think 1 scart n hdmi is enough. Mind u I have more but there 1.5 mtrs so if I did the hole for the boxes I wouldn't need that much cable really

Visualy I would try keep skybox DVD gamebox out of sight. You will need hdmi lead for sky. Hdmi for gamebox. Hdmi for DVD. Coax for tv. Phono for surround. Scarf may replace one hdmi lead if your stuck. I prefer not to swap leads over as once installed there is no messing swapping over leads. Don't forget power for tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

pull in plenty of cables i know it may sound expensive at the start but if u change your setup at anytime how are you going to get in fresh cabling without tearing apart the place again

ok lads got stuck in today on my day off.

You will see were the boxes are they will go back fully into the wall I have some plastering to do and have to put up a fake shelf for them to sit on but I think I got this install bang on.

Regarding the wiring theres a hole behind the tv big enough to fit them then just above the xbox theres a beam joining the lenght way beams together so theres about a 3 inch gap were I can fish wires up and down fairly handy.

I personally much prefer having the boxed there just didnt want to put them at the side. the reason i wanted the tv on the wall was to get rid of a shelf

ill put up a finished product but what do use think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

thats strange.
    that hole where you cut the opening should be solid concrete block.

You will have to get your self a length of timber (2 x 1 1/2 maybe) now and frame behind the opening . To provide grounds for new plaster boards.

You will also need a length of corner bead after the plasterboard is installed.

then a bit of plaster.

You have made it the main focal point in the room.

You better do a nice clean job on it now. lol

• Advertisement

LoL it's a gas fire so no chimney I'm in one of those energy wooden homes lol

ye I've done the supporting beams so just the other bits left.

I think it's a good job so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Looks good. Perhaps a nice smoked glass door to finish off the toy box and help make the displays less distracting.

I hope no one ever leaves any candles burning on the mantle piece.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭harrison fraud

I think you could do with losing the speakers from there

Cheers guys. I actually like the speakers and have mounted 2 more since ha

did the plasterboard finish today just the plaster n paint left. Will put up a finished product soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭SteM

kdouglas wrote: »
    If you want a decent viewing angle, don't put your tv above the fireplace, it's far too high for comfortable viewing.

FWIW I agree 100% with you. My mate did it and I find I get a stiff neck looking at the TV for too long, even just for a 90 minute footy match.

Tv is fine for me plus it's a tilt bracket so plenty off downward angle

byte

Only thing I'd suggest, if there's space, is to put small slips of timber or something between the three boxes to allow for better ventilation (HD box and Xbox both produce a fair amount of heat).

Otherwise, I think it looks pretty good (the glass door idea mentioned might not be a bad idea).

Hi byte ye I've cut the hole about 3 inches higher then the boxes to make each box higher up

I won't be able to do the glass door thing as the DVD/surround sound player comes out a touch after the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

hope ye like a creak in your neck. Itl look good but after a while itl be like going to the cinema and getting front row seats. Sounds good but your gonna be looking up all the time. Ur tv should be in line with your eyes when your sitting down and failure to do this will result in a headache, permanently raised eyebrows and a creak in your neck. Enjoy:rolleyes:

blahblah.
    picture looks good.great job.well done
    just some advice for others who may attempt this
    all the control systems can be mounted in a cabinet similar to the one under the fish tank or even another room and be remotely controlled.this will help lower the tv and as others have said a tilt bracket will reduce neck strain.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 47 lilka

she looks good to me ! set up looks good too

Cheers lads,

really no issue with the height I have to say and the spaced it's saved is unreal.

Meercat I was looking at the issue regarding storing the boxes elsewhere however I thought where I had it was a better idea as the room is not huge and I liked the idea off having it all hidden in the wall. I will prob paint the cut out of the wall cream to make it a feature.

Plasterer is coming on weds and the lads helping me paint the room bar the plaster later that day. I'm dying too see the finished product wish I did it months ago

finished product guys

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gorwanvfr

Looks good but would not be for me. A good friend of mine is a professional installer over in England and a lot of his time is spent taking Tv's down from over fireplaces. People like the look but it just does not work, that is unless you room is 20 foot wide. Glad it works for you

Cheers for the input mate my room is 14 x 14 so not far off lol.

Ah I've had it mounted the last week and am very happy with it I must say.

Sweet lying back playing the xbox

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Cheers for the input mate my room is 14 x 14 so not far off lol.

Ah I've had it mounted the last week and am very happy with it I must say.

Sweet lying back playing the xbox

Eh,it is far off,it may as well be a mile off 20 x 20.;)

But all that matters is that you are happy.

Happy TV watching/gaming.:)

P.S---The dvd/game station and set top box should be really over in a corner out of the way,the fireplace/mantle piece is too cluttered up with all the stuff,TV and then the speakers,but its your choice.

LoL thanks for your input paddy but didn't see the logic in getting rid of a tv stand to put DVD player etc on a shelf or what not.

Turned out exactly as I wanted it to. Easy access to everything I need.

I also used the fireplace as a shelf support for the DVD player so I wouldn't have to buy a shelf itself. The dvd player would have came past the alcove by about 3 inchs if I had of put it on a seperate shelf and thought that would be a bit daft.

byte

Uhm, is that the rear surround L+R speakers, meant for behind your head, at the front also?

Yep sure is.

Actually didn't realise that was the way the speakers were designed I shall get extra cable and get on that issue straight away.

Thanks for that exactly the info I was looking for

• Advertisement

just for you byte. left n right rear surround

Advertisement