Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop not showing full RAM

Options
  • 20-05-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

OK so here's the problem. My mam's laptop was running slow so I decided to take the RAM from my laptop and put it in hers to see would it make it any faster but when I opened the laptop I found that it actually has 2x512mb RAM sticks. Thought it was weird that the laptop was goin so slow considering but when i checked in the properties part of computer it was only showing 512mb, only 1 stick. So upon further inspection I saw one of the RAMs was sticking out a bit and so I pushed it in further and thought that would fix it, well it didn't it made matters worse; the laptop wouldn't turn on so I fiddled around with the rams and in the end I got that sorted but still only 1 ram is showing up. I tried to get in contact with Dell via their site but that was proving more difficult than I first thought, silly me for thinking I could just click a button and get in contact with them (I was going around in circles on that site, can't contact technical support, cant access their forums. Is their some secret to getting it to work??)

So, anyone have any ideas on what is going on with the RAM and how to fix it? Or does anyone have the email address for Dell's technical support?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Sounds like that stick of RAM is faulty, try taking out the one you know works, and put the possibly faulty stick of RAM in that slot, then see if the laptop boots. If it doesn't, then it is indeed faulty.

Contact Dell Technical Support

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

And that's it fixed, i feel like a right eejit. One of the sticks was sticking out a bit. I've been afraid to go near them after the last fiasco. Thanks for your advice btw

Advertisement