Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overhearing other peoples conversations on my phone

Options
  • 20-05-2010 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering what my rights are regarding my right to privacy when using my phone.

My line is about 5 years old, and I've been having these problems from the start. It is mainly a woman I can hear and at this stage (nearly five years of hearing her) I think it is the same woman, although the other day I did hear a man. I can only hear her side of the conversation and am assuming that she can only hear me not who I'm speaking to. I don't hear her every time I am on the phone.

I had Eircom out ages ago when my phone line was broken and I told him about this issue. He told me that it was “because your using a cordless telephone your picking up someone else's cordless". I had a plug in phone for the first year and a half and still had these problems, when the Eircom Technician told me that it was probably my cordless I borrowed a plug in phone and used it for about three weeks and still could hear another person’s conversation.

In August I changed my phone supplier to Vodafone, and in September my internet speeds went downhill. In January I started a thread on the “Talk to Vodafone” forum, and when someone told me that my noise margin was bad I asked about my overhearing problems, and they told me that this was a big issue.

I have since had Eircom out three times to look at my line because of my broadband problems and have told them about the overhearing, again I got the “using a cordless” answer. Each time they tell me there is nothing wrong with my line. I am at the moment waiting on Eircom to come out for the fourth time.

I have just been on the phone for 22 minutes to my Sister, and the Lady who I can hear just made three phone calls, one after the other, she is always in the background, but I can hear every word she says I can even hear her dialling out. The first two she had a conversation with someone and the third call she made she got an engaged tone.

Could someone please tell me what my rights are regarding this, because if when Eircom come back and tell me that there is nothing wrong with my line, I want to know if there is anything else I can do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It really depends on what Eircom are testing. I guess they are testing your line to the nearest junction. That is most likely fine. It may be further out - the junction to the exchange. It could be something simple, like touching cables.

This is less and less common as newer technology is used though. The old copper lines are much more prone to this type of cross connection/interference.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Bizzi Lizzy

The last time the Eircom technician was out he tested it from the exchange and to the nearest junction. He also told me that my line was less than 5,000 meters from the exchange.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bizzi Lizzy I previously followed your thread on the Vodafone forum, have you now moved back to eircom or are you still with Vodafone?

Have you contacted Comreg regarding the issue and if so what was the outcome?

No I'm still with Vodafone, but it seems that it is Eircom that are the only ones who can fix my line. I haven't gone to ComReg yet, that is why I am looking to see what my rights to privacy are.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No I'm still with Vodafone, but it seems that it is Eircom that are the only ones who can fix my line. I haven't gone to ComReg yet, that is why I am looking to see what my rights to privacy are.

I'd suggest querying this with Comreg and perhaps also the Data Protection Commissioner, more info from http://www.dataprotection.ie

The fact that you can hear somebody else's private conversation should be of great concern to the DPC, once you've reported it Vodafone/Eircom should work towards resolving the issue and should not simply try to fob you off.

The fact that the issue remains means that somebody be it Vodafone or Eircom are failing in their duty to both you as a customer and the other person who is affected by this,

imho it would almost be eqivelant to having an e-mail system that forwards one side of somebody elses e-mail conversation to you but you can't see who's the e-mail is from, if you notify the people that operate the system they have a duty to fix it and protect people's personal information.

In short I believe the Data Protection Commissioner would likely be best placed to advise on what your privacy rights are.

• Advertisement

Thanks Cabaal, I thought that the Data Protection was only to do with your personal information, that's why I came on here.

I am waiting on Eircom to come out once more before I go anywhere, if they do not sort the problem out this time I will get Vodafone to give me all the ticket numbers that they have from Eircom and then I will get on to ComReg and also the Data Protection and see if they can do any thing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Thanks Cabaal, I thought that the Data Protection was only to do with your personal information, that's why I came on here.

I am waiting on Eircom to come out once more before I go anywhere, if they do not sort the problem out this time I will get Vodafone to give me all the ticket numbers that they have from Eircom and then I will get on to ComReg and also the Data Protection and see if they can do any thing for me.

As you know Lizzy, I have been following your Vodafone issue on the other threads.

ComReg will advise you to make a formal complaint to Vodafone regarding this issue. Your ongoing issues and calls to Vodafone will not be considered "formal". You will have to use those words specifically: "formal complaint". Vodafone will give you a complaint reference number and have 10 days to reply to that complaint. After the 10 days (regardless if they respond on or not), you then get back in contact with ComReg and provide them with all the details of your case and include the complaint reference number. They will take it from there.

All the best Lizzy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Can the woman on the other phone hear you too? Have you ever spoked directly to her at all? If you can talk to each other, and combine the complaint, it might help eircom to narrow down the problem.

As for Data Protection, this could indeed be the way to go. By not actioning your complaint, eircom are allowing this woman's privacy to be invaded, and possibly yours too if she can hear you, which could be a breech of the Data Protection Act.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not that it applies to the OP but a lot of eircoms customers 'hear voices'. The cordless argument is BS UNLESS it is an analogue cordless in which case it is feasible.

If Digital ( DECT) that is impossible as the OP could not have registered with that womans DECT basestation by accident.

Follow the Vodafone formal written complaint procedure ( on their website search for "code of practice" ) or click

http://www.vodafone.ie/aboutus/code/

jor el wrote: »
    Can the woman on the other phone hear you too? Have you ever spoked directly to her at all? If you can talk to each other, and combine the complaint, it might help eircom to narrow down the problem.

In the early days I did call out to her but she didn't answer me, I haven't called out to her recently.
    If Digital ( DECT) that is impossible as the OP could not have registered with that womans DECT basestation by accident.

How do I know if my phone is DECT ? will it be written on it ? I've just googled it and it is a Dect

As for the Vodafone Code of Practice, they have told me that if Eircom don't fix my line this time they will let me out of my contract, they have also "escalated my fault to Eircom Management.

My problem now is, no matter who my Provider is, if Eircom don't fix my line I will still have the same problems what ever provider I use. I just want to know if I can make Eircom fix my line due to the lack of privacy on my part and the other persons.

• Advertisement

It is, but I'd speculate that they won't be happy about the fact that you can hear somebody else's conversation and perhaps they can hear your also.

Either way I'm sure at some point they could easily give out their DOB, credit card details or any other personal information which you could then hear over the phone, obviously your not an intended party for this information.

Ok, I'm surpised at Vodafone's lacks attidude in relation to this although I understand that Eircom Wholesale can be very difficult to deal with so to a "certain degree" their (Vodafone)hands are tied.

I'm sure Eircom have at one stage or another they've pitched to you that "if you were with eircom we could fix this"...they seem to love saying that to other companys customers.
    :rolleyes:

As suggested by others I would highly recommend making a formal complaint now, keep records of everything you send be it e-mails, letters etc ....could you perhaps record the interference you are experiencing?

Finally as for Vodafone "leaving you out of contract", I'm very surprised about the fact that they have not already waived your contract allowing you to leave at anytime should you wish to.

I would be concerned that although you can leave Vodafone you may affectively end up at step 1 again with another provider. Regardless of who you are with Eircom should resolve your issue imho

I'm sure Eircom have at one stage or another they've pitched to you that "if you were with eircom we could fix this"...they seem to love saying that to other companys customers.

I actually got this call on Wednesday, and before she could go into her spiel, I told her that If Eircom fixed my line I might go back to them, and I got that very response, I knew it was coming, because I have even got it from the Eircom Technicians who have come out to not fix my line.
    Finally as for Vodafone "leaving you out of contract", I'm very surprised about the fact that they have not already waived your contract allowing you to leave at anytime should you wish to.

I would be concerned that although you can leave Vodafone you may affectively end up at step 1 again with another provider

I have been asking them to let me out of my Contract since January, I stopped asking them when I realized that what ever is wrong with my line, no matter what provider I go to I will still have the same problems, and what I can gather from talking to the Eircom Engineers, if they get a green light on their blackberry, that means that there is nothing wrong with the line, and their job is done. So even if I go back to Eircom, the fact that this overhearing happens so intermittently means that unless he is using his blackberry at the time this woman makes a call, it will allways show up green. As for recording the woman, is that not tapping someones line :D (sorry had to put that in) No my phone doesn't have a recording device on it.

Fair play to Vodafone though, because they have basically credited me back any money that I have paid for my broadband since August and have (as of yesterday) sent me out a dongle so that I can use the internet. And I think they are as exasperated by Eircom as I am.

As for keeping records, all my correspondence with Vodafone since January has been here on boards.ie either on the thread or through PM, from September until December it was with their (bad) Customer Service over the phone. From December until January I had just given up until I saw the "Talk To Vodafone" forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

snip

No my phone doesn't have a recording device on it.

Get one, they are cheap and available in Woodies and most electrical shops and it will put the matter to rest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TelRecAdapter.jpg

Similar to the above

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I knew it was coming, because I have even got it from the Eircom Technicians who have come out to not fix my line.
    Lucky the local technician knows I own a chainsaw and would use it to 'fix' their poles if I thought there was a fault up there...mind you he retired last year and now I must edumacate his replacement(s) when the time comes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In the early days I did call out to her but she didn't answer me, I haven't called out to her recently.
    Have you tried exorcising this phone daemon? Here are some usefull catchphrases:

(Replace each "*" with a letter you deem fitting)

Begone phone b*llox!
    Begone foul phone daemon b*stard!
    Go away you m*ther f*cking phone daemon!

To help pronounce such a weird language, try having a bottle of whiskey, and, in case she is hard of hearing, try yelling down the phone.

I didn't realise I had posted in AH. Whiskey is not really my tipple of choice, would a can of Bud do instead?

I think I would replace the "*" with an O, A, O and a U, would that make the lady phone demon go to the light?

Sponge bob, where do you live, could I borrow your chainsaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

the_syco wrote: »
    Have you tried exorcising this phone daemon?

The Power of Christ compels you!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It seems to be a reasonable assumption at this stage that she cannot hear you, after five years presumably she would have complained. (have you asked Eircom about other people with this problem? )

Does this mean that there there is nothing wrong with your line, but there is something wrong with her's, but she doesn't know? Which is why they are not finding a fault with your line. I don't know, but it might be worth considering.

Could you ask Eircom to put a recorder on the line, or do it yourself, but remember to say to everyone who rings 'this call is being recorded'. That should lead to some long explanations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Sorry this is no help, but my mother used to hear other conversations on her phone line and would spend hours listening in - she was upset when the problem was rectified!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

They keep sending out line technicians to rectify and issue that by the sounds of it is at the exchange.

Next time you contact their tech people ask can they send an exchange engineer rather then a line technician.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Firstly, i assume you are not in a cable area - if so switch to upc / ntl

This second solution may cost a few quid - ask eircom for a second line. You need it for fax or other use.

once the second line is in, ditch the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hi, I used to work with eircom, we had this complaint all the time. Your line is shared with a few other lines. I can't remember the name for it. I think it's a 'carrier line'.

Can you get caller ID?

If not this is usually the reason.

At the time you could apply to eircom for the line to upgraded and I think the max they could put off for was 1 year.

The tech will not tell you this as the budgets for these upgrades were always under presume and as long as the line passed the basic PSTN test and didn't show a fault they were off the hook.

Hope this helps.

91011 wrote: »
    Firstly, i assume you are not in a cable area - if so switch to upc / ntl

No I'm not, when I first started looking into broadband, I even looked into getting satellite broadband, but was told there are too many trees, that during winter times I would get a good signal but once spring/summer growth happened, they couldn't guarantee the signal.
    Can you get caller ID?

Yes I have caller ID on my phone.

Advertisement