Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Stadium- Setback

Options
  • 20-05-2010 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/tottenham/7744297/Tottenham-redesign-new-stadium-to-preserve-listed-buildings.html

From the Times expert:

So is this the end of Tottenham’s dream of a super-stadium?
    No, but it could create extensive delay and doubts about the project. Tottenham’s plans included seeking to demolish four listed buildings on their site, which English Heritage were not willing to support. So Tottenham have had to revise their plans, which will be submitted to the council in the next week.
    Why didn’t they ask English Heritage before?
    The club consulted with various bodies before they made their application in October. Sometimes those bodies will give a nod and a wink that they will support it. In other cases, they like to wait until the full application has been submitted so that they can see the scheme in its entirety. Tottenham would argue that the demolition of four listed buildings was in the public interest and the gains, such as a regeneration of the immediate area, outweighed the historical loss. English Heritage feel otherwise. To be fair to Tottenham, they did feel that the buildings would be the trickiest part of their plans.
    Transport may always be a problem at White Hart Lane because of the nature of the built-up area. Tottenham hoped that transport facilities would be improved by the authorities extending the Victoria Line on the Underground to Northumberland Park, which is close to White Hart Lane. However, Transport for London said that they would not pay for the bill three years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I don't consider it a setback, most major projects like this go through a few stages of planning applications. I actually prefer the new plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

It would have been very unusual if there were no reservations from state bodies given the scale of the build.

On the plus, the money/regeneration that this will bring to the area means it would be impossible to reject it, over 800 local business' and communities have formalised their support. http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/news/topstories/8176135.Spurs_forced_to__look_again__at_Tottenham_stadium_plans/

Surprised that Levy & Co. had not planned to retain the Bill Nicholson gates and the golden cockerel?! The new giant tier Kop end looks awesome..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

The new stadium has been recomended by the planning authority and the councillors will vote on it at a meeting tomorrow.
    If it gets the green light from them, then the mayor of London has to give it the final ok within two weeks and I think then we could probably start knocking the buildings etc by December and Begin actual construction of the stadium come this summer.

Although I did read that the supermarket has to finish construction first I don't know why that would be?

Advertisement