Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get charger?

Options
  • 20-05-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Any recommendations where I can buy a car charger for my Garmin 200w.
    I broke the original and I bought a cheapo off ebay,but that won't allow me to use the satnav and charge in the car.It puts it into PC Mode!

Bricks and mortars or online,In Limerick if that matters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If it's any help I bought a universal 3-in-1 USB travel pack from an O2 shop which contains 2 mains adapters (1 UK and 1 EU) and 1 cigarette socket adapter, 8 different phone adapters (including a mini-USB) and a USB cable that connects the power adapters to the various phone adapters.

I checked, and using the cigarrete lighter and mini-USB adapters it works with my nuvi 760, and while it may be more than you actually need, it kills several potential birds with one stone. I don't think it was that expensive.

BTW the only thing that puts the nuvi into charge mode as opposed to data mode is a very slight difference in the wiring of the mini-USB socket. There are a few articles around on the net if you Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

And this deffo allows you to use the satnav while charging?
    I could do with getting a car charger for the phone aswell,so this may kill 2 birds with one stone.

Remember how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

And this deffo allows you to use the satnav while charging?
    I could do with getting a car charger for the phone aswell,so this may kill 2 birds with one stone.

Remember how much?
    Yes. I don't use it for that, as my existing cradle for my 760 still works, but I just tested it in the car with my satnav and it definitely works.

As for price, I'm not sure ... around €20-25 I think. I actually went into the shop to buy a simple replacement charger for my phone, but this gizmo was actually the same price. Mind you this was last year so there's no guarantee they'll still have them in, and I can't actually find it on the O2 website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

.... but that won't allow me to use the satnav and charge in the car.It puts it into PC Mode!

Here's something you can try, it works on my Garmin gps, but I don't know if it will work with a 200W?

If you switch on the Garmin, load up where you want to go, and once it's navigating, switch the power switch to the right (lock position), then plug in the usb cable - it won't go to PC mode.

Long winded work around - but it will get you going, if you're stuck.

HTH.

Nope,no luck.

Where can I buy a official charger?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

PC world or Harvey Normans, although online would probably be the best deal.

koolkid wrote: »
    PC world or Harvey Normans, although online would probably be the best deal.

Don't suppose you could point me in the right direction online wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Any Halfords Store : LINK = €22.99

Halfords - Limerick:
    Unit 3 City East Retail Park,
    Tipperary Road,
    Limerick
    061 423650

This is probably not the cheapest - but will be the quickest.

mrmac wrote: »
    Any Halfords Store : LINK = €22.99

Halfords - Limerick:
    Unit 3 City East Retail Park,
    Tipperary Road,
    Limerick
    061 423650

This is probably not the cheapest - but will be the quickest.

I'm guessing this is a real one aswell?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Nuvi-200-Car-Charger/dp/B002LK1JGQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274459312&sr=8-3

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes that looks fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If you don't have one, you could get a Garmin bean bag mount? They have the charger built in and they work really well.

Advertisement