Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for commercial space/warehouse to hire for private gig

Options
  • 20-05-2010 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sure, drive around the areas you can think of and see if there are signs for letting, Then contact the agency in question.
    Check if Black Box are interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 frufru

black box afaik costs a four figure sum to hire out, and the first number is not a 1 :eek: not really what im after anyway tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Then perhaps you can elaborate on what size you need, expected capacity etc.
    What is it for? I doubt anyone will hand over the keys without knowing what the space will be used for and that there won't be underage drinking, noise problems etc. With so many businesses closing down it shouldn't be too tricky to find a vacant place.
    Did you check the classifieds in the Advertiser this week?

size does not really matter, 100+ cap would be fine, I have spoken to a few people with units but all of them want crazy money.

Maybe someone would know someone with a warehouse/unit who would be interested in making a few quid.

Its for a private gig, no kids/messers etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Try some hotels. Plenty of private parties are run in their conference rooms/auditoriums. Prices would be relatively cheap to hire out for an evening and would easily seat 100+

• Advertisement

would prefer to go the warehouse/unit route but may have to resort to function room,
    Someone must know someone with a unit/w'house, were in a recession and more places cleanin out every week! could make a handy few quid out of a dormant unit!

DeBurgos do private events now..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

it's kind of unlikely that a warehouse/commercial space is gonna go for something like this unless they have no idea about the risks they are putting themselves up for, particularly if you haven't got insurance, which you probably don't if this is a once off.

de burgos have bit of a noise restriction and bit to small, would fit everyone but dancefloor is too small.
    Usually common practise with these arrangements is to sign a wee document outlining that no-one can go after owner of venue if someone should have an accident, this is then explained to all people attending.

Agree with Xiney, there is an insurance issue and also health and safety regulations regardless the permitted level of usage in those units. A fire safety inspector is well within his rights to walk into a warehouse unit and kick you all out if he catches 100+ people enjoying a music gig without a proper permit.

• Advertisement

the fire safety officer is fully entitled to do just that :rolleyes:

I am asking a simple question, if I had a query on the safety/insurance I would ask, but I dont. I do realise some of you are just being safe.
    Anyone in attendance will be informed of the risk and be free to make up their own mind on the matter.

frufru wrote: »
    the fire safety officer is fully entitled to do just that :rolleyes:

I am asking a simple question, if I had a query on the safety/insurance I would ask, but I dont. I do realise some of you are just being safe.
    Anyone in attendance will be informed of the risk and be free to make up their own mind on the matter.

I'm not saying this for your sake. My point is that a unit owner would not be inclined to lease to you for a one off event like this as there would be no insurance and no permit. Honestly it would be too much trouble to lease unless you were willing to spend big for the location, but i'm assuming you are looking to do this on the cheap. It's not a case of safety, it's really down to pedantic laws. That's why i suggested a hotel function room as they are properly licensed and insured for big events.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

frufru wrote: »
    sign a wee document outlining that no-one can go after owner of venue if someone should have an accident, this is then explained to all people attending.

That wee document won't be worth the paper it's written on to you. You can get someone to sign all they want. In the event that someone gets injured at an event/function YOU are running, they *can* sue you. I have organised a few events around the country in the past and was advised of this (not from an insurance person btw) so have to get event insurance for everything I organise

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I went to a gig/art event a few years ago in Hynes Car Park. Interesting venue, might be worth investigation? You could also maybe try a self-storage place like Barons - I think they did an art event there a while back, I don't see why a music event would be that different.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Sent you a PM

Advertisement