Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone make the move from dublin to louth?

Options
  • 20-05-2010 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has made the move from dublin to louth? My boyfriend and i are both from dublin and over the next year the plan is to build a house in louth near dundalk. He will own a farm so this is where we will live. Although i do see the benefits i am aprehensive about moving to the country and the unknown etc. If anyone has made this move would love to hear how you got on! Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I've lived in Louth all my life so i can't help you in that respect but I would say there's everything here you'll need and at the end of the day Dublin is less than an hour away on the motorway....

40mins if you're flooring it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭louthguy25

my girlfriend is from dublin but she moved up to dundalk for college and she still here 4 years later we have moved to an even remoter place and she finds it ok sure in louth your not far from anywere

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am living in Duleek... The only difference between duleek and the location of dublin is you will need a car. If you can keep the car you will never feel alone. In fact the country air and peace is lovely. Really lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'm from Dublin but moved to the Drogheda area 5yrs ago.
    I lived in Dublin 6 most of my life and worked in the city centre so was so used to the hustle and bustle of it all.

I now live in the countryside outside Drogheda and like Joey said the peace and quiet is lovely.
    It did take me a little while to adjust and for the first year or so I was driving up and down to Dublin all the time to visit family and friends and to get a "fix" almost!

Now it's the opposite, every time I drive up I curse the traffic, how busy it is, how much parking costs etc etc.
    And there is nothing in Dublin I can't get in Drogheda.
    And it's really not that far if I'm going up to visit family, it only takes about 40mins door to door. It used to take me that to get to work in Dublin sometimes.

All in all, no regrets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Molly100

Hey everyone, thanks for all your comments. All in all i think i will really enjoy the life there once i get used to it. Will stay working in dublin at the start anyway so will still get 'the fix' and its not like im goin too far! Its just different and although the peace and quiet will be lovely its not what im used to at all and will just take some adjusting to! Thanks again you've all been really helpful.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I moved up to Clogherhead 6 years ago, it took a lot for me to move out of Dublin; however, to be honest I'm really happy that I did. I love the peace and quite up here and still commute down to Dublin everyday. The way I describe the difference is when I stay with the partner in Dublin I hear the Garda chopper at night when I'm locking up the bike, up here I can hear the sea from my house at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rose DeWitt

I met my now husband 9 years ago, I'm from Raheny Dublin and he grew up in Clogherhead and will never move from Louth even though he commutes to south county Dublin every day. I love it in Drogheda, though I do own my own car which is what you need to get about. Okay, the transport is grand but you do need the freedom! However the family is not impressed, the refer to Drogheda as being "way up there"! They can't make it up but expect me to go down!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ardeewin

Molly100 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has made the move from dublin to louth? My boyfriend and i are both from dublin and over the next year the plan is to build a house in louth near dundalk. He will own a farm so this is where we will live. Although i do see the benefits i am aprehensive about moving to the country and the unknown etc. If anyone has made this move would love to hear how you got on! Cheers!

good move! your children will be benefit later if you invest in farm land now.

jak

Advertisement