Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ: Coal or Gas?

Options
  • 13-07-2006 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

RIght, Ive been roped in to do the cooking for a friends bbq at the weekend. The only problem is that she has a gas bbq and not a charcoal one. Ive used charcoal ones loads of times but never a gas one.
    Can anyone tell me is there much difference between the 2? Is there much of a difference in cooking times etc?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

yeah, the gas one will light within a reasonalbe time!

i dunno, cooking times on my gas bbq are really big coz i need to buy some more gas coz the pressure is alllllll gone.

just keep an eye on teh food and all will be good

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You should find the gas BBQ easier to cook on as you will be able to regulate the heat better.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Jimmy81

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Jimmy81 wrote:
    Is there much of a difference in cooking times etc?

Bit of a difficult question.

My personal feeling is that gas grills simply cannot get as hot as a charcoal one. This may be because I haven't used good-enough gas grills, but anyway...

This can be important if you're cooking something like blue/rare steaks.

Other than that, I don't find much different. For "roasting" (lid down), a gas grill might be slightly hotter, but a good charcoal grill with air-vents should be about its equal as long as you use the right amount of charcoal.

When using charcoal in breezy conditions, you can oftentimes get "runaway" temps. With gas, its more likely to knock the flames out.

So if you're used to a really really hot grill, where you have to constantly turn everything so it doesn't burn....you'll probably find gas a bit slower.

If you're used to controlling your charcoal temps to what you want for what you're cooking, then you'll probably find them pretty-much the same.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 39 patr1ck84

hi i have a gas bbq i'm just wondering what is the best way to cook steak on it the flame is still very low even at its highest i went back to woodies to ask about it they said it was normal and that the meat cooks as the fat drips down giving a higher flame does this sound right it;s fine for burgers but very little drips from steak so it takes ages to cook any ideas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

patr1ck84 wrote: »
    hi i have a gas bbq i'm just wondering what is the best way to cook steak on it the flame is still very low even at its highest i went back to woodies to ask about it they said it was normal and that the meat cooks as the fat drips down giving a higher flame does this sound right it;s fine for burgers but very little drips from steak so it takes ages to cook any ideas

If it takes ages to cook - it's just not hot enough. My gas BBQ gets as hot as a griddle - same cooking time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

The main difference is the taste - gas just doesnt cut it. You may as well cook it inside.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Mr.David wrote: »
    The main difference is the taste - gas just doesnt cut it. You may as well cook it inside.......

I agree that coal is nicer but its really not true to say you ma as well cook it inside.

On gas bbq you are still cooking over flames. The food still will be seared at the same temperature trapping the juices while allowing external fat to drip off, smoking and giving flavour to the food. Well cooked food over gas is a pleasure, only bettered by over charcoal.

BUT. Lots of people get charcoal wrong and end up putting the food on too early and burning it, leaving it all sooty and then marvelling a tthe "real charcoal taste".

It really shouldn't taste like that!!

enda1 wrote: »
    I agree that coal is nicer but its really not true to say you ma as well cook it inside.

Agreed. Neither charcoal nor gas adds flavour to the meat.

What adds the smokey flavour are juices (of any type, fat included) dripping down onto the coals (or coal-replacement, in a gas bbq) and then generating smoke.

The major difference is that with a charcoal grill, the coals themselves are the heat-source. In a gas-grill, the coal-repleacement (e.g. lava stone, ceramic 'stone', or metal strip) is heated from below by the gas flame. This can behave differently when stuff drips on it, but doesn't have to.

With a gas grill, you don't have to worry about maintaining airflow to yoru coals, allowing you to cook with the lid down. With a charcoal grill, you need a bit more airflow to keep your temps.

On gas bbq you are still cooking over flames. The food still will be seared at the same temperature trapping the juices while allowing external fat to drip off, smoking and giving flavour to the food. Well cooked food over gas is a pleasure, only bettered by over charcoal.

In some cases, a gas grill will make it easier to produce a smokey flavour. In other cases, it'll be harder (or require a more expensive gas grill).

At the budget end, charcoal will probably produce better flavours than gas, but gas will be less hassle. At the mid-end and upwards, there's far less in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm very happy with my gas bbq.
    The flavour isn't the same but for me, that's no bad thing.
    The flavour from a gas bbq is more subtle. I wouldn't want that real BBQ taste every day whereas I would cook on the gas one daily when the weather is fine.
    It's my current favourite way to cook fish.
    I got a fish basket/grill thing and just lightly cook it over the gas.
    It only gets lightly coloured and flavoured and all the smells remain outside!
    A great way to cook fish.

Cheaper gas BBQs will have hot and cold spots (mine does) but you can learn how to use these effectively with a little practice.

In hindsight, I'd buy a 3 burner grill rather than a 2 burner for more even heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

bonkey wrote: »
    Agreed. Neither charcoal nor gas adds flavour to the meat.

Of course charcoal adds flavour - how could it possibly not add flavour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Charcoal only adds flavour if you've turned your food into charcoal - a sausage isn't cooked unless you can write with it?

Smoke adds flavour, also the amount of heat affect the way food cooks, affecting the flavour. The heat source is irrelevant.

That said, a charcoal bbq will probably produce more smoke as the fat drips onto the coals and is burned off. On a gas grill, the fat hits a hot bar and is collected below - would this produce less smoke?

I have a charcoal Q and it is a pain in the neck. No lid (my fault for buying one without a lid). The coals take 30 minutes to come to cooking temperature and don't last 20 minutes. If I had to make the decision again, I'd go for gas - a big gas grill with a large capacity grill and a big lid.

One of these would also be excellent but they are no longer made.

Minder wrote: »
    That said, a charcoal bbq will probably produce more smoke as the fat drips onto the coals and is burned off. On a gas grill, the fat hits a hot bar and is collected below - would this produce less smoke?

It depends.

Firstly, gas grills don't always use a metal "bar". Some use ceramic or lava "stones". The idea is the same, the behaviour is a bit different. THey hold heat longer than a thin metal bar, but they take longer to heat.

If enough fat (or other liquid) is hitting these (bar or strones) that the temps are falling too low and the fat is running off rather than smoking away, then the chances are good that in a charcoal grill you'd either put your coals out or start a fat-fire...neither of which is what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've had several charcoal bbq's but last year there was a good deal on a two burner + side burner "Gusto" gas one in woodies and i bought it and haven't looked back since.

any extra flavour that i might have got from my old charcoal one is easily outweighed by the convenience of gas meaning it's ready to cook from in 5 minutes and the fact that if it gets too hot i can just turn down the heat a notch or two. not something i could have done with the charcoal one.

i can also have it on a low heat and use it to slow roast stuff too, i've done legs of lamb and other stuff on it that come out beautifully that i could never have done on a charcoal bbq and they come out much nicer than from the oven, not to mention i don't end up with the house stinking of lamb for a week. :)

gas bbq all the way for me thanks. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Leg of Lamb on a Charcoal BBQ, no problem,

P1000551.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Planet X wrote: »
    Leg of Lamb on a Charcoal BBQ, no problem,

With lid?

With lid. About 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Indirect cooking ie charcoal either side of joint. I've done two whole chickens in it also. Beer Can Chicken. :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Planet X wrote: »
    With lid. About 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Indirect cooking ie charcoal either side of joint. I've done two whole chickens in it also. Beer Can Chicken. :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    you tempt me with your wicked ways! :D

what did you put on the lamb btw?

been thinking of beer can chicken for awhile now, but never actually got round to it.

how did that go?

On the lamb went, mustard (Trad. Colemans, powder of course made into a paste) and Texas Dry Rub on top of that.
    Texas Dry Rub, Google it, loads of different versions, basically, black pepper, paprika, Kosher salt, chilli powder, cumin, soft brown sugar, garlic powder would be the main ones. I made a big (1 litre) tub of it. Lash this on on the mustard paste / sticks like you know. Throw the joint on the BBQ and don't even open it to look at for about 1 half hours.
    Beer Can Chickens, some great You Tube videos of it. Again, a brace of birds, same craic, Dry Rub or whatever. Beer, wine, soy again, whatever in the can. Very easy, very tasty and better cooked than in a domestic oven by far. Fact!

Use a drip tray for both and cook indirectly, ie away from the coals. So, you'll need a biggish BBQ.

cool, thanks for the info.

silly question, but if i'm not jewish is there anything in kosher salt that's not in regular salt that would make a difference to the flavour?

EDIT: google says kosher salt just uses bigger grains, it's not actually specifically kosher (as defined by the Torah etc.). do you think rock salt would do or is that too big?

• Advertisement

It's just what the Yanks refer to all the time on the Texas BBQ Forum, Kosher Salt. Sea salt would be just as good. Haven't a clue really. Salt is salt as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

vibe666 wrote: »
    cool, thanks for the info.

silly question, but if i'm not jewish is there anything in kosher salt that's not in regular salt that would make a difference to the flavour?

EDIT: google says kosher salt just uses bigger grains, it's not actually specifically kosher (as defined by the Torah etc.). do you think rock salt would do or is that too big?

Kosher salt is usually in big flat flakey grains, and because it has a large size grain, doesn't dissolve quickly, so when it was used to salt food, it didn't dissolve easily and draws out the fluid from the meat.

somewhat ironically, it'd be ideal to change pork into bacon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

A post in another thread and the fine weather got me thinking about BBQing.
    I have often had this discussion with some mates about which is better, the coal BBQ or the gas BBQ. Personally I think you can't beat the coals, the lovely smell and taste that it leaves on my charred slabs of steak YUM YUM!

While on the other hand gas BBQs don't create that lovely aroma or leave that charred taste that I love so much. It's a no brainer for me, the coals wins hands down every time.

Also there is something manly about lighting up a fire and cooking your dinner on it while having a few cold beers. Them gas BBQs are for sissies I say! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Find gas handier given the time it takes for the coals to get heated up. Irish summers,rains and all that. The coals give a nicer result, you're quite right.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭msbrobe

Does anyone know where I can get replacement griddles, grill plates etc for Outback Hunter BBQ? I have looked online and can only seem to get UK companies who do not deliver here. A friend donated the bbq to me when moving abroad but some the porcelain has come off in places and there's a little bit of rust on the griddle etc.
    I wonder is it possible to get them re-coated? Judging by some of the prices on UK sites replacements seem to be costly if a few parts are needed.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

msbrobe wrote: »
    and there's a little bit of rust on the griddle etc.

Along with the charcoal adds to the flavour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Have had a gas BBQ for years but just bought a charcoal kettle BBQ and will NEVER go back to gas, it was so much more flavoursome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Even the disposable bbqs are the business, brought one to the beach today and roasted some burgers, chicken and steak. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Weber charcoal kettle, say no more.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you want to use it, rather than think about using it. Get a gas BBQ.
    It's the fat that drops from the meat onto the hot surface underneath which makes the smoky flavour - no matter what the surface is made from.

Advertisement