Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ: Coal or Gas?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

A post in another thread and the fine weather got me thinking about BBQing.
    I have often had this discussion with some mates about which is better, the coal BBQ or the gas BBQ. Personally I think you can't beat the coals, the lovely smell and taste that it leaves on my charred slabs of steak YUM YUM!

While on the other hand gas BBQs don't create that lovely aroma or leave that charred taste that I love so much. It's a no brainer for me, the coals wins hands down every time.

Also there is something manly about lighting up a fire and cooking your dinner on it while having a few cold beers. Them gas BBQs are for sissies I say! :)

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Get gas & a smoker box, same taste, more control

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

It's the fat that drops from the meat onto the hot surface underneath which makes the smoky flavour - no matter what the surface is made from.

This is the stuff you gas heads come up with to justify your wussy bbqs :p

Seriously though, the dripping fat does of course add some flavour but to say there's no difference between the two is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I BBQ at least twice a week, that's all year round. This just isn't possible with a charcoal one. And tbh, I don't really care for cooking on a charcoal bbq, it's a lot of faff! And there is an attrition rate that you don't have to calculate when you're cooking on a gas BBQ.
    I can cook for 20 people easily and no worries about the coals going out, too hot, burning etc. My saussies are ALWAYS perfectly cooked. Throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭coffee to go

I don't think the two are comparable - Gas BBQs are more an extension of the kitchen, which you use to cook al fresco. Charcoal BBQ involves more of a campfire-esque ritual and can be much more satisfying experience when it's done right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

i have cooked with both. Charcoal obviously has a stronger bbq flavour, more authentic. Its impossible to time, messy to clean up and a serious pain to get lit if you dont have a propellant.

Ill stick to my dripping fat flavoured good approximation..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Gas with lava rocks wins for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I've used lots of both over the years. I've settled on a (propane) gas Weber with 'flavorizer bars'. Instead of lava rock (which is useless) it has ceramic coated stainless steel bars which vaporise fats etc. a la charcoal BBQ. Very clean, very convenient and as close as you can get to charcoal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Gas equals cooked and quick... charcoal (not coal!) equals food poisoning! ;)

MediaTank wrote: »
    I've used lots of both over the years. I've settled on a (propane) gas Weber with 'flavorizer bars'. Instead of lava rock (which is useless) it has ceramic coated stainless steel bars which vaporise fats etc. a la charcoal BBQ. Very clean, very convenient and as close as you can get to charcoal.

And very dear.

• Advertisement

si_guru wrote: »

No! bad cook equals food poisoning..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

bryaner wrote: »
    And very dear.

Not necessarily, very cheap on the internet with free shipping if you look around.

And very dear.

Considering you'd use about a fiver of charcoal, fluid, starter etc to get a BBQ going. And I'd get over 100 BBQs out of my gas tank, gas is DEFO more economical in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

MediaTank wrote: »
    Not necessarily, very cheap on the internet with free shipping if you look around.

clicky please ???

olaola wrote: »
    Considering you'd use about a fiver of charcoal, fluid, starter etc to get a BBQ going. And I'd get over 100 BBQs out of my gas tank, gas is DEFO more economical in the long run.

Webber bbq €250 min, gas €30 per cyl

Kettle bbq €15 and €1.50 of briquettes per bbq, 20 bbq's per year equals €30 excluding bbq price. I might be dead before I see

an economical difference

And tastes better..

Webber bbq €250 min, gas €30 per cyl

Kettle bbq €15 and €1.50 of briquettes per bbq, 20 bbq's per year equals €30 excluding bbq price. I might be dead before I see

an economical difference

And tastes better..

Where are you getting those prices from - 1981?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

After years on the charcoal I switched to the darker side and went on gas. Much more convenient and easier to regulate when you're cooking a chicken or the like. 20 million Aussies can't be wrong.
    Webber bbq €250 min,

The who in the wha? Linky please.

After years on the charcoal I switched to the darker side and went on gas. Much more convenient and easier to regulate when you're cooking a chicken or the like. 20 million Aussies can't be wrong.

The who in the wha? Linky please.

http://www.wowbbq.co.uk/products/Weber_Barbecues/16/566074P.html

And that is a pretty small one (also sterling)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Why not cook the food in your kitchen then, I really don't get the gas bbq thing at all.

There's ways of regulating the temp of the bbq, like piling the coals to one side and having two racks one high than the other.

The sun has just appeared here and I'm hungry. I fancy a big f*ck off steak and spicy pork chops that have been looking at me in the fridge since yesterday, they're meant to be for the weekend but f*ck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

http://www.wowbbq.co.uk/products/Weber_Barbecues/16/566074P.html

And that is a pretty small one (also sterling)

....and it's also a charcoal BBQ!!
    LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

LOL
    I don't think it is. Take a look at the features .. how many charcoal BBQ's have "Push button ignition", for example!! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Got a gas one last year, as has been said, so much more convenient and controllable, also no sudden gust of smoke in your eyes if the wind changes direction

but I do miss that relaxing beer I used to have whilst keeping an eye on the BBQ coals as they heated up to the right temperature :(, now its switch on the gas, go in the kitchen grab the raw meat/burgers etc and go back out and cook

Im losing out on a beer, man down, what is the world coming to eh?.........(goes off into long rant about how this used to be all fields)

Alun wrote: »
    I don't think it is. Take a look at the features .. how many charcoal BBQ's have "Push button ignition", for example!! LOL

That's true:o
    I don't see any burner controls on it, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

Alun wrote: »

thats a gas igniter to light the charcoal.

mind you i havent looked at the one youve linked to ha ha ha ...
    i do know that weber have gas ignition thong for there charcoal bbq's

LOL

Jaysus never copped that, god knows the price of the gas equivalent so..

Well spotted!

To add my tuppence worth:

I was very 'anti' gas bbqs.
    That was, until I used one.
    Now, I find that they do not create the same flavours and effect as charcoal bbqs but they do go a long way towards approximating these effects.

A point to consider is that I have used both types, yet I had strong opinions against gas before I ever used one. I wonder if this is the case with some of the 'anti gas brigade here'?

As I said, the bbq flavour from a charcoal grill certainly is more intense but, for me, that's not always desirable and I find that the convenience and controllability of gas is a winner for me, as is, sometimes, the more subtle flavours.

If we're having steak, pork or lamb chops, fish of grilled veg, I just whack on the gas and cook outside my back door, keeping all the smoke, fumes and smell outside, while at the same time giving the food a nice, subtle, charred bbq flavour. I'm not 'having a bbq', I'm just cooking the dinner on the gas bbq.
    This is where the gas bbq comes into its own.
    I'm not saying that it is better - just that it has different uses.

The argument over which is 'better' is rather pointless, in my opinion.
    And we could all spend or time linking to cheap/expensive gas and charcoal grills, but that's an even bigger waste of time.

Some of my most successful bbq offerings were: butterflied leg of lamb over coal and belly pork done on gas.
    Very different - both very good!

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

opti76 wrote: »
    thats a gas igniter to light the charcoal.
    Look closer .. it's a portable gas barbecue that uses small propane canisters.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-566001-Portable-Propane-Barbecue/dp/B000CDKHGM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I've bought a pile off stuff from here recently. http://www.planetbarbecue.co.uk/

I've been using woodchips in a smokerbox on my charcoal bbq and its made a huge difference.
    I've also been making my own bbq cooking sauces and bastes and its worth the effort. Once you start making your own you won't go back to store bought stuff.

Tonights efforts were tasty :D
    image.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=1C9REJR1EMRZ83Q7QRG2&Expires=1276717573&Signature=1g4vWzPKouayH%2FXRD6Gpr6vTdpw%3D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

si_guru wrote: »
    You mention "quick", which would make me think you might have got food poisoning from people wanting to use charcoal ones when the coals were still on fire. I see loads of people do this. Many think a BBQ is dead when actually it is only just ready.
    olaola wrote: »
    Disposable trays can be €2-3, or sometimes even "free" with beers . I much prefer them since you just throw the whole thing out afterwards. I am not sure of how much my father spends on gas on his, but I reckon it would be over €2-3 for the same cooking time as a disposable. He heats it up first for a good while to "burn off old fat", then at the end he leaves it on for ages on high settings, again to "burn off the excess fat", he read this in the instructions and follows them to the letter. I have the use of a gas one in my house but never do as I would have to clean it afterwards, and if I spent that cleaning time working overtime I could buy several disposables! and I hate cleaning them.

What I often do is put the disposable inside the gas one, so you have the best of both worlds, the lid for control and throwaway ease.
    Why not cook the food in your kitchen then, I really don't get the gas bbq thing at all.
    Seems you don't get it alright! The flavour comes mainly from the fats falling on the hot coal which then begins to smoke and flavour the foods. Many "anti gas" people try and compare them with a grill, but this is wrong, it would be like a grill upside down. There would be tons of smoke in the kitchen if you grilled upside down, though the food would be nicer. Fatty food is essential.

My brother has a gas one but still doesn't "get it", he marinates chicken fillets and then fires up the gas one just to cook one fillet, spends ages cleaning it too, his fillets have no skin at all, so no fat is falling on the coals, no smoke, so in this case he may as well just grill it inside, same with lots of veggie people. Though of course some like the party/outside side of it, but I have seen my brother just cook outside and eat inside on his own, I don't get it at all.

Advertisement