Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Midsummer Festival

Options
  • 20-05-2010 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I hear this is launching tonight. Any ideas what we're in for this year? It's usually a great festival. Although, it has never reached the same heights of a few years back when we all got naked out in Blarney :)

Anyway, as the programme is launched and the festival gets underway (12th -27th June), we can use this thread to discuss it.

More info. and some headline events: www.corkmidsummer.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

No Spiegeltent this year? Seems an odd decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

No Spiegeltent this year? Seems an odd decision.

I heard about it on the wireless the other day... WTF no SpiegelTent?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

whats Speigeltent?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mikeydb

spiegeltent is a mobile venue that they erected in front of the operahouse for the last few years. All the world like a scaled down version of the marquee.
    I hear theres something big goin on in the savoy, not sure what but im booked for followspot:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Mikeydb wrote: »
    I hear theres something big goin on in the savoy, not sure what but im booked for followspot:D

That's the new Corcadorca show, "Plasticine" - http://www.corkmidsummer.com/2010/events/plasticine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 pavilioncork

Midsummer Festival kicking off in Cork tomorrow Saturday 12 June....
    Kerri Chandler/Scullion/Interference/Kode9/Don Letts + LOTS more playing at The Pavilion Cork
    www.pavilioncork.com
    Lots of comedy happening at The Crane Lane Theatre
    www.cranelanetheatre.com

For full updates check out website www.midsummercork.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

If anyone has a spare Philip Glass ticket under 60 quid, please do give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I heard there was some gathering street performers down the Mardyke today (Saturday11th) & tomorrow.

Went the Street Performers World Championships at the Mardyke last weekend. It was well worth the trip. Really good atmosphere and some excellent performers.

Just saw Plasticine, Corcadorca's new play in the Savoy. Much preferred it to last years effort. Much more drama this year and seems much more of a technical challenge, which is good to see from the masters of site-specific theatre.
    Be warned, it is definitely OVER 18's and features some rather disturbing scenes. One person fainted during the show last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Anything free/open air on this weekend (19/20) during the day, anyone know? We'll be in Cork for the Crawford 4th Year exhibition and have the baby with us - looking for something to do on Saturday & Sunday. The last year we were down there was loads of stuff on in Fitzgerald park (art exhibitions, theatre etc) - does anyone know if the same sort of thing will be on this year?

• Advertisement

Anything free/open air on this weekend (19/20) during the day, anyone know? We'll be in Cork for the Crawford 4th Year exhibition and have the baby with us - looking for something to do on Saturday & Sunday. The last year we were down there was loads of stuff on in Fitzgerald park (art exhibitions, theatre etc) - does anyone know if the same sort of thing will be on this year?

Shandon's the place to go on Saturday for the Shandon Street Festival, kids stuff, street entertainers, food fair.

http://www.shandonstreetfestival.com/articles.html

Also a food fair on the Grand Parade for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Just saw Plasticine, Corcadorca's new play in the Savoy. Much preferred it to last years effort. Much more drama this year and seems much more of a technical challenge, which is good to see from the masters of site-specific theatre.
    Be warned, it is definitely OVER 18's and features some rather disturbing scenes. One person fainted during the show last night.
    I'm hearing great things about it - but yeah, heavy stuff apparently...

Here's a review - :eek: Not for the faint-hearted...

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm hearing great things about it - but yeah, heavy stuff apparently...

Here's a review - :eek: Not for the faint-hearted...

That's not a review of the current production.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Went the Street Performers World Championships at the Mardyke last weekend. It was well worth the trip. Really good atmosphere and some excellent performers.

Intrigued... What exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I think what Kold is trying to say is: Do ya get to see boobies?!?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

evilivor wrote: »
    That's not a review of the current production.
    Well it's the same play...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Rofl Lundgren

Question about the food stalls up and down Patricks Street this weekend. Were they part of the Midsummer Festival (saw a Midsummer Festival stall in front of Murrays)? If so, is there a list of the stalls somewhere? I need to find that Caribbean food one, soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

So is Plasticine worth goin to see , thinking of heading later on in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Question about the food stalls up and down Patricks Street this weekend. Were they part of the Midsummer Festival

they were, and they'll be there again next weekend. I thought it was brilliant, really the sort of thing Patrick Street should have more often.

4714968532_ecf3be7670.jpg

4714327061_af19ec3252.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Rofl Lundgren

deRanged wrote: »
    they were, and they'll be there again next weekend. I thought it was brilliant, really the sort of thing Patrick Street should have more often.

Ah, typical that I won't be around. They were really great, and credit to the organisers for not just getting the foodies from the Coal Quay market to move their stalls. It made a real change to town, and made a bit of use of the space on Patricks Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 onthelang

Saw Plasticine as well, found it disturbing but the acting is excellent and its a good show but needed a few pints to cheer myself up afterwards

Kold wrote: »
    Intrigued... What exactly?

Ah now that would be telling. Well worth going to see though.
    http://www.corkmidsummer.com/2010/events/plasticine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Went to Cirque de legume in the crane lane last night , was a good show , would like to say more but its indescribeable really it would sound ridiculous :-) http://www.cirquedelegume.com/Cirque_2/home....html

Advertisement