Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork girls

Options
  • 20-05-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Myself and some friends are heading to Cork for a weekend on the pull. Is it true that Cork girls love lads with Dublin accents? That's what I've heard anyway :pac: Can any Corkonians confirm this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

To be honest...I quite dislike it!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

That's the funniest thing I ever heard - seriously!!

a) NO ONE LOVES THE DUBLIN ACCENT

b) Cork only like the sound of their own accent, usually screaming some Florence and the Machine song with her sisters at 3.30am at Da Fountain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Myself and some friends are heading to Cork for a weekend on the pull. Is it true that Cork girls love lads with Dublin accents? That's what I've heard anyway :pac: Can any Corkonians confirm this?

Depends what kind of accent; Dublin has so many!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Sensing alot of hostility here :pac:

Just regular middle class accents I suppose, neither knackery nor stuck up. A fine set of chaps we are too! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I think a lot of people think the Dublin accent is the Duuubliiin accent when, as was pointed out, there are many Dublin accents.

That being said I have only ever heard the one Cork accent. And as Tommy Tiernan says, it sounds like a traveler trying to speak French. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭infamous

Dunno about the girls liking it the lads definitly dont, heard of a couple of random attacks was involved in one of cork locals takin exception to visiting dubs. Rough town.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

Hey look best of luck with the weekend, just don't be surprised if they rip the piss outta ya being from Dublin.

And welcome to the real capital, boi :D:D:D

infamous wrote: »
    Dunno about the girls liking it the lads definitly dont, heard of a couple of random attacks was involved in one of cork locals takin exception to visiting dubs. Rough town.

Ah sure there are idiots everywhere but we're well able to take care of ourselves

Nidot wrote: »
    Hey look best of luck with the weekend, just don't be surprised if they rip the piss outta ya being from Dublin.

And welcome to the real capital, boi :D:D:D

Sure we can always try impress the girls by charming them with tales of the bright lights and big city....add to the mix our dashing good looks :rolleyes: and we should be grand

Sure we can always try impress the girls by charming them with tales of the bright lights and big city....add to the mix our dashing good looks :rolleyes: and we should be grand

Very good dude, best of luck though with the weekend.

You'll probably end up in Riordans or Havanna's one of the nights (think coppers) make sure you try Preachers or Sober Lane, they're decent pubs.

Good crowd in both aswell.

• Advertisement

Not really into that sort of place - wouldn't darken the door of the likes of Coppers myself. We're not going on a mission to get laid as such, just heading down for something different...but yes certainly we'll be scoping out the local talent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

infamous wrote: »

Ach, all places have their random idiots. Myself, the Japanese wife, my African friend & 2 Dublin hippy gals were made very welcome in a nightclub out in the sticks there some years back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Not really into that sort of place - wouldn't darken the door of the likes of Coppers myself. We're not going on a mission to get laid as such, just heading down for something different...but yes certainly we'll be scoping out the local talent

Don't play up the fact that you're from Dublin. Just roll with it naturally, as they say. Btw, there's feck all wrong with being a Dub - I just wouldn't make a song and dance about it to girls. As you're talking, they'll probably comment on your accent eventually anyway and ask you where you're from.

I grew up with three sisters and, in my experience, they weren't too ga-ga about different regional Irish accents per se - just about a pleasant-sounding voice in general. I remember one of them saying once that she liked the sound of Ray D'Arcy's and former 2fm DJ Gareth O' Callaghan's voices. She'd also be hopping mad whenever that RTE fella Mark Little would be on the TV doing political reports.

Personally, I reckon The Old Oak and Scott's on Oliver Plunkett Street are nice, and also The Crane Lane off Oliver Plunkett St., and The Cornstore on Cornmarket Street. Usually a decent, respectable crowd in those places, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Ah sure there are idiots everywhere but we're well able to take care of ourselves

Please do me a favour and dont be like the majority of dub lads that come down here thinking Cork is some sort of village with one street and that ye'll have the run of the town cause yer the boys from the "big city". Iv seen this too many times to count on both hands and every time the group of dubs just got the absolute **** kicked out of them, most people in this city have a disliking for Dublin, so be careful who you talk ta and what you say.

Other than that I hope you have a great time, Cork gals are great fun:)

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Cork people in general aren't overly enamoured with Dublin or anything Dublin related in my experience, so I wouldn't play up the fact that you're from Dublin (like someone else said) but as long as you don't do that you should be grand. And for god's sake don't say anything about anything in Cork that is intended or could be interpreted as "we have one of them in Dublin except it's BIGGER AND BETTER"

Crane Lane, Sober Lane, Preachers, the Franciscan Well, Bierhaus (sp?), the Oval, Mutton Lane (actually generally just go for the ones with Lane in the name :p) are good, there's a strong possibility you'll end up in the Brog as well which is grand but ridiculously expensive. For clubs Liquid Lounge is good, most of the rest are really crap.

Cork people in general aren't overly enamoured with Dublin or anything Dublin related in my experience, so I wouldn't play up the fact that you're from Dublin (like someone else said) but as long as you don't do that you should be grand. And for god's sake don't say anything about anything in Cork that is intended or could be interpreted as "we have one of them in Dublin except it's BIGGER AND BETTER"

Crane Lane, Sober Lane, Preachers, the Franciscan Well, Bierhaus (sp?), the Oval, Mutton Lane (actually generally just go for the ones with Lane in the name :p) are good, there's a strong possibility you'll end up in the Brog as well which is grand but ridiculously expensive. For clubs Liquid Lounge is good, most of the rest are really crap.

I second that, they're all really crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Nidot wrote: »
    You'll probably end up in Riordans or Havanna's one of the nights (think coppers) make sure you try Preachers or Sober Lane, they're decent pubs.

There's hardly a comparison between Coppers and Havana's!

The Bróg is more like Coppers than any other pub in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ouch. As a bunch of Dubs, you couldn't have picked a worse place for a stag. Cork people don't like us, honestly you should expect barely concelled hostility at the best and a fight at the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I love the Cork women.....pity they are so complicated though!

Ouch. As a bunch of Dubs, you couldn't have picked a worse place for a stag. Cork people don't like us, honestly you should expect barely concelled hostility at the best and a fight at the worst.

I'd be very suprised if that was true, unless you did all the things people have been saying not to do in this thread (most of which are pretty obnoxious anyway), or unless you were unlucky enough to run into a crowd of knackers looking for a fight anyway, which can and does happen in fairness, but then it's not going to matter where you're from, they're just looking for an excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I'd be very suprised if that was true, unless you did all the things people have been saying not to do in this thread (most of which are pretty obnoxious anyway), or unless you were unlucky enough to run into a crowd of knackers looking for a fight anyway, which can and does happen in fairness, but then it's not going to matter where you're from, they're just looking for an excuse.

I hate to be a party pooper but there is alot of thruth in what he said. Hundreds and hundreds of students from Kerry, Tipp, Limerick, Waterford come to Cork city every year too study. Rarely any problems with them unless, as you said it was knackers or just a normal drunken scrap. But from my experience its been a totally different story once the Dubs arrive.

One night about two years ago I remember I was working, and walking home at bout half 10, group of Dubs in an altercation wit Cork lads, within a few mins there was literally about 40/50 Cork lads just running from everywhere once they heard it was Dubs. The Guards came in and had to box the dub lads in to protect them. I remember this so well cause i was so shocked, ffs there was one lad who threw one of those metal barriers at the guards/dubs. Was half a riot like bth

Jaysis :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rosieapples

I couldn't understand the Cork people, no problem with the Dublin one though;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 blueberri

I couldn't understand the Cork people, no problem with the Dublin one though;)
    Gway ya Kerry bogger.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ontheleft

Cork wimin are generaly easier to mount than a small pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rosieapples

blueberri wrote: »
    Gway ya Kerry bogger.

:eek:
    I'm not from Kerry, I'm Welsh:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 blueberri

I'm not from Kerry, I'm Welsh:confused:
    That is worse again. But then Kerry and Welsh people have a special affection for sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Is it true that Cork girls love lads with Dublin accents?

NO! :eek: Completely untrue.

If your question was....
    Is it true that Cork girls love to laugh at lads with Dublin accents?

....then the answer would be YES! Completely true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement