Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrier at Fanore

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 davidfanore

If you're interested, there's also a facebook group setup to discuss this called 'fanore beach users' - not sure how to post a link to it, but this might work http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=123753287652901

We need as much support as we can get to make the council take this down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats the idea behind it?? did they have trouble with travellers?? or new age travellers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

any pictures of exactly where this barrier is placed people? thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 davidfanore

Hi - there's pictures on the Fanore Beach Users facebook group page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A facebook group, thats it, issue sorted!

Seriously, it looks like the council have issues with illegal dumpers/travelers or illegal camping. Like most councils these days.
    They group was set up to:
    "this group is dedicated to people who love Fanore Beach and would like to have a say in how it is managed and protected for all users and future generations."
    All three of those issues will impinge on that reasoning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

ah....thanks guys. i was under the impression that no cars could access the carpark.

ah....thanks guys. i was under the impression that no cars could access the carpark.

now, that would have been a bit irish:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thinking of heading down to Fanore this weekend. Anyone know if barrier is still there. If so there will be traffic chaos on road outside car park as vans and other high vehicles park on narrow road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Barrier is still there.

Safe to say the beach will be busy over the weekend so barrier or not there's likely to be some traffic issues. Go down early (before middday) and you'll get a spot no worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Wondering if barriers are still there and how is traffic coping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I could see nothing wrong with this barrier if it helps keep a certain element out.

The Council has spent tens of thousands of euro in taxpayers money moving travellers with solicitors fees, court orders, security services etc. etc.

Why can't they just pay some local keyholder?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I could see nothing wrong with this barrier if it helps keep a certain element out.

The Council has spent tens of thousands of euro in taxpayers money moving travellers with solicitors fees, court orders, security services etc. etc.

What element? Surfers? yeah, I hate them too, bloody hippies! Keep surfers off our beaches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What element? Surfers? yeah, I hate them too, bloody hippies! Keep surfers off our beaches!

I saw a hiace van driving past the other day with a surf board on top. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I see your point but how about leaving it open 365 days a year until some undesirables move in. Knock on their door and say it is being closed tomorrow at 6am, get out or stay forever. I guarantee they will leave immediately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

My problem with the barriers is that they do not discourage the undesirable element. What if the undesirable element decides to roll up with cars? Oh No! Our ultimate weapon against them defeated. Also, what about the desirable element that does happen to own larger vehicles? It's like the old joke from the German army. When a soldier fall into the latrine, it gets nailed shut to prevent that sort of thing occurring again. One the one hand you solve the problem, on the other hand it's of course a completely unworkable and braindead solution.

has it happened before, that the "undesirables" have moved in ??

Advertisement